Onboard Texting Update - Symphony

We will be sailing on the Symphony in May.  I have not heard yet of the onboard  "glitch" being used on the Symphony where texts can be sent via the Royal Caribbean app, so I assume it isn't working at this time.  We are a family of 8 and do not want to purchase the Wi-Fi package, but we do want the ability to communicate via text since we won't all be together the whole time.  According to the information I have found, the cheapest method of communication would be to send texts at 50 cents per text, since we don't expect to send a lot of texts.  I want to make sure I have all the info correct so I can make sure family members all get the correct settings on their phones.  We all have iPhones.  In our group we have T-Mobile and AT&T.   Is the following all we need to do? 

1)       Turn on Wi-Fi Calling when leaving hotel, before arriving at POM

2)       Put phone on Airplane mode when leaving hotel, before arriving at POM

3)       Turn off Data Roaming and Cellular Data Roaming.**

4)       Turn off iMessaging so messages will be sent via text and not data.

** On my iPhone under Settings/Cellular I see two buttons.  Is this what we should do for each:  

Cellular Data - Set toggle switch to off position?

Cellular Data Options - Turn Data Roaming to off?

Just don't want any unexpected bills from our cell phone carriers!  Thank you all for your input!

1 minute ago, lindalo5032 said:

We will be sailing on the Symphony in May.  I have not heard yet of the onboard  "glitch" being used on the Symphony where texts can be sent via the Royal Caribbean app, so I assume it isn't working at this time.  

The glitch was never on Symphony since she came out and likely never will. The RCI app may have the texting option by the time you sail.

4 minutes ago, lindalo5032 said:

We will be sailing on the Symphony in May.  I have not heard yet of the onboard  "glitch" being used on the Symphony where texts can be sent via the Royal Caribbean app, so I assume it isn't working at this time.  We are a family of 8 and do not want to purchase the Wi-Fi package, but we do want the ability to communicate via text since we won't all be together the whole time.  According to the information I have found, the cheapest method of communication would be to send texts at 50 cents per text, since we don't expect to send a lot of texts.  I want to make sure I have all the info correct so I can make sure family members all get the correct settings on their phones.  We all have iPhones.  In our group we have T-Mobile and AT&T.   Is the following all we need to do? 

1)       Turn on Wi-Fi Calling when leaving hotel, before arriving at POM

2)       Put phone on Airplane mode when leaving hotel, before arriving at POM

3)       Turn off Data Roaming and Cellular Data Roaming.**

4)       Turn off iMessaging so messages will be sent via text and not data.

** On my iPhone under Settings/Cellular I see two buttons.  Is this what we should do for each:  

Just don't want any unexpected bills from our cell phone carriers!  Thank you all for your input!

WiFI calling setting has no effect in your example as you won't be connecting to a WiFi service.

You would have to get out of Airplane Mode to text via the ship's cellular service.

2 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

WiFI calling setting has no effect in your example as you won't be connecting to a WiFi service.

You would have to get out of Airplane Mode to text via the ship's cellular service.

So, in our case, this is what we need to do?   Sorry, this is all very confusing to me.  :classic_blink:

1)       Turn off Data Roaming and Cellular Data Roaming.**

2)       Turn off iMessaging so messages will be sent via text and not data.

**On my iPhone under Settings/Cellular I see two buttons.  Is this what I should do for each?   

5 minutes ago, lindalo5032 said:

So, in our case, this is what we need to do?   Sorry, this is all very confusing to me.  :classic_blink:

1)       Turn off Data Roaming and Cellular Data Roaming.**

2)       Turn off iMessaging so messages will be sent via text and not data.

**On my iPhone under Settings/Cellular I see two buttons.  Is this what I should do for each?   

I'd turn off Cellular Data and turn off WiFi.

Note that this may prevent you from sending/receiving MMS text messages.  These would be messages with photos/videos and also group messaging on IPhones.   You may be limited to simple text only.

11 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

I'd turn off Cellular Data and turn off WiFi.

If we turn off Wi-Fi, wouldn't that mean we couldn't use the Royal Caribbean app (to get ship info, Compass info, etc.)?

What are the risks of leaving WiFi on?

Edited by lindalo5032

we're an iPhone family.  I turned off cellular data, connected to the ship's WiFi (I was on Anthem). I used the royal app but didn't buy a WiFi package (as you know you can connect for free to use the app).  If you go into airplane mode you won't be able to use the royal app (all communication will be cut off).  You want the WiFi on since that's how you'll use the app (it's the ship's WiFi, no additional cost if you don't purchase a WiFi package).  But turn cellular data off.  Even if you don't use the phone, people will text you and it will be data coming across.  Also go into Mail and disable cellular data just as a secondary precaution.  This ins't necessary if you disable cellular data in general but it won't hurt (in case a kid turns it back on etc).  You likely know but Settings, Cellular, then toggle Cellular Data to off.  For Mail it's Settings, Mail, toggle Cellular data

As a side note, I was able to use imessage w/o a cost since it went over the ships WiFi.  Because I  had access to / was on the ship's WiFi (for free) I could use imessage. is this the glitch you're talking about?  

Edited by Nectarologist

17 minutes ago, Nectarologist said:

As a side note, I was able to use imessage w/o a cost since it went over the ships WiFi.  Because I  had access to / was on the ship's WiFi (for free) I could use imessage. is this the glitch you're talking about?  

When you say you could use iMessage without cost, are you meaning iMessaging with others onboard, or off the ship, say to a user back home?

1 hour ago, Nectarologist said:

we're an iPhone family.  I turned off cellular data, connected to the ship's WiFi (I was on Anthem). I used the royal app but didn't buy a WiFi package (as you know you can connect for free to use the app).  If you go into airplane mode you won't be able to use the royal app (all communication will be cut off).  You want the WiFi on since that's how you'll use the app (it's the ship's WiFi, no additional cost if you don't purchase a WiFi package).  But turn cellular data off.  Even if you don't use the phone, people will text you and it will be data coming across.  Also go into Mail and disable cellular data just as a secondary precaution.  This ins't necessary if you disable cellular data in general but it won't hurt (in case a kid turns it back on etc).  You likely know but Settings, Cellular, then toggle Cellular Data to off.  For Mail it's Settings, Mail, toggle Cellular data

Thank you for this info!  I appreciate the step by step instructions!  The "glitch" I heard about (as I understand it) was on the Harmony wherein you could do onboard texting via the Royal IQ app (which isn't available on the Symphony, which  only has the newer Royal app).  This texting ability was expected to possibly disappear b/c it was generally thought that it was a mistake by the developers of the app.  I'm hoping that the newer Royal app will include onboard texting by the time I sail, but if not, I need to be prepared and know how to navigate onboard texting the regular way.  Thank you for your input!!

1 hour ago, Nectarologist said:

I turned off cellular data, connected to the ship's WiFi (I was on Anthem). I used the royal app but didn't buy a WiFi package (as you know you can connect for free to use the app).  If you go into airplane mode you won't be able to use the royal app (all communication will be cut off).  You want the WiFi on since that's how you'll use the app (it's the ship's WiFi, no additional cost if you don't purchase a WiFi package).

That's doesn't apply or work on Symphony.

3 minutes ago, lindalo5032 said:

I appreciate the step by step instructions!  The "glitch" I heard about (as I understand it) was on the Harmony wherein you could do onboard texting via the Royal IQ app.  

Not quite, the glitch is that some traffic got by the internet filter that is stopped on other ships (without VOOM) - that internet traffic includes that which enabled WiFi texting to work - you didn't even need to have the app installed for this to work.

9 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Nectarologist said:

I turned off cellular data, connected to the ship's WiFi (I was on Anthem). I used the royal app but didn't buy a WiFi package (as you know you can connect for free to use the app).  If you go into airplane mode you won't be able to use the royal app (all communication will be cut off).  You want the WiFi on since that's how you'll use the app (it's the ship's WiFi, no additional cost if you don't purchase a WiFi package).

That's doesn't apply or work on Symphony.

Since the apps are different, Anthem vs. Symphony, how does that change what I need to do?

I know I need to turn off Cellular Roaming.

I believe I need to have WiFi turned ON to be able to use the Royal app for ship information.

I need to leave airplane mode OFF so I can access WiFi to use the app.

So, to keep from getting billed $$$ by T-Mobile, all I need to do is turn off cellular roaming? 

1 minute ago, lindalo5032 said:

So, to keep from getting billed $$$ by T-Mobile, all I need to do is turn off cellular roaming? 

Check with T-mobile, they may not support any roaming on ships. If they do, turn off cell data. Leave the rest on.

You should turn Airplane Mode ON, and then turn WiFi back ON while leaving Airplane Mode on. This will turn cellular off but turn (and keep) WiFi on. When you turn off cellular this way you don't need to worry about the roaming setting until you turn Airplane Mode off again. This is the easiest way to do it. But I don't think you will be able to text without either a cellular or WiFi plan unless and until the Royal App supports it.

Also if you want to turn off iMessage for some reason you need to do it while connected to the network (before turning off cellular or WiFi, i.e., before you get on the ship) so the Apple servers know not to try and send via iMessage. Otherwise it creates problems for other people who are trying to text you via iMessage (it will time out on their end and then ask if they want to resend using SMS, if they have that enabled).

22 minutes ago, lindalo5032 said:

Since the apps are different, Anthem vs. Symphony, how does that change what I need to do?

I know I need to turn off Cellular Roaming.

I believe I need to have WiFi turned ON to be able to use the Royal app for ship information.

You are correct (I turn off all cellular just to be safe). The only thing that would generate a charge from T-Mobile is cellular communication (calls, regular texts, emails, pictures sent over a 3G or 4 G celluar network).  With cellular you're going through their (T-Mobile) network.  If it's WiFi, it's going through the network you're signed in to (in this case the Royal ship you're on; when at home your home internet provider).  If you had an iPhone but canceled the cellular service from T-Mobile (or AT&T, etc.) you could still use the phone like an ipod touch (wifi to get online).  You can't make calls (since you don't have a cell connection).  In fact if you have an old phone that's not on a phone service plan you could use that instead of your current phone.  So Royal allows you to use their wifi for free just to use the app. If you want to go on the internet then you would need to buy a package (you'll get a message offering to sell you a package if you try to go on the internet).  

also try the way that Pratique explains that way you wouldn't need to think about roaming.  also their internet manager can help but may be busy the first day.

Edited by Nectarologist

Internet , especially the voom package on Symphony has really come down in price.  We just got off and my husband and I had purchased a 2 device package for $132.00 for the week.  My friends also purchased the same package.  Thats less than $10.00 per day each. We were able to use our phones for FaceTime,,text message,games,  and WhatsApp for phone calls.  Even got to watch my home TV on slingbox. while poolside. You have to be diligent and watch for sales.  My first purchase was for 1 device for the same price, a couple of weeks later, I was able to cancel and  get 2 device for the same price.   

Edited by Missymo

5 hours ago, lindalo5032 said:

If we turn off Wi-Fi, wouldn't that mean we couldn't use the Royal Caribbean app (to get ship info, Compass info, etc.)?

What are the risks of leaving WiFi on?

Sorry, I did not realize you intended to use the app.  No risk to keeping WiFi on if you intend to use it, just saves battery if you turn it off.

I know you said you guys don't want to buy the internet package but as someone else mentioned it's pretty cheap now. The 4 device package on my Symphony sailing is $25.99/day which comes to $6.50pp/day. If you do that you can turn on airplane mode, turn on WiFi calling, and then text and call as you normally would. Might be an option worth exploring if you plan on sending 6-7 texts a day.

1 hour ago, mattb31 said:

I know you said you guys don't want to buy the internet package but as someone else mentioned it's pretty cheap now. The 4 device package on my Symphony sailing is $25.99/day which comes to $6.50pp/day. If you do that you can turn on airplane mode, turn on WiFi calling, and then text and call as you normally would. Might be an option worth exploring if you plan on sending 6-7 texts a day.

That is certainly interesting.  We would need 5 devices, so I guess the cheapest way to go would be 4 devices for $25.99 and 1 device for $11.99 (cheaper than the 3+2 price).  There are no 5 device packages listed on my cruise planner.  If so, this might be cheaper per person.  Is 4 devices the maximum package they offer?

Edited by lindalo5032

40 minutes ago, lindalo5032 said:

That is certainly interesting.  We would need 5 devices, so I guess the cheapest way to go would be 4 devices for $25.99 and 1 device for $11.99 (cheaper than the 3+2 price).  There are no 5 device packages listed on my cruise planner.  If so, this might be cheaper per person.  Is 4 devices the maximum package they offer?

I've never seen a 5 device, only a 4. There's two other ways around this. You can share the internet packages, 4 devices just means that 4 devices can be on at a time. For example, say Person A, B, C, and D are using the package. Person E doesn't have the package and wants to get online. Person D can logout and Person E can use the access code and get on.

Another option, which I've done before, is to use your phone as a hotspot. If one of you has a newer Samsung phone, you can share WiFi. Your phone essentially acts as a wireless router, so one person connected to VOOM could re-broadcast a wireless network to other people who don't have VOOM. The limitation here is that you'd obviously need to be close to the person who is sharing the WiFi, which would generally be within like 50 feet.

5 hours ago, lindalo5032 said:

I don't know what device you're using but usually once airplane mode is on WiFi can then be turned back on, just as @Pratique has explained above.  I've done this when traveling with my last 2 Android devices (Nexus 6P and Pixel 2 XL) including on Anthem last year...