Carnival Hub App

Cruisegirl70

Has anyone had experience using the HUB app with a Metro PSC phone? I have ATT but my husband has Metro and want to pay the $5 so we can message each other but was not sure if Metro PSC lets you do this. I know he has had trouble with the phone not working when traveling out of the country before and was curious if anyone tried the app. 

As mentioned above (and at the risk of being redundant), the Hub app uses the ship's internal network for all communications including texting between devices also using the app. There are no cellular phone or plan specific limitations on it (as long as your phone's OS supports the app) - you simply put your phone in airplane mode and connect to the ship's network.

Edited by joepeka

19 hours ago, shof515 said:

there is no free ceullar service at sea onboard the ship, you cell phones will not work unless you pay expesnive roaming charges

the HUB app messaging feature uses the ship WIFI network for internal communications

AT&T has an at sea cellular package that's not too expensive, $50 for a month

My cruise is still a few months off, but I downloaded the Carnival App to look at it. It eats my battery up incredibly quickly. I wanted to use onboard instead of having to carry part of the funtimes with me, plus I use my phone for the time since I don’t wear watches. Has anyone else had this problem with the app.

3 hours ago, Border Granny said:

My cruise is still a few months off, but I downloaded the Carnival App to look at it. It eats my battery up incredibly quickly. I wanted to use onboard instead of having to carry part of the funtimes with me, plus I use my phone for the time since I don’t wear watches. Has anyone else had this problem with the app.

The Hub app does use up a lot of juice.  Be sure you put your phone on Airplane mode before leaving port.

I can't remember from last April how many of the activities from the funtimes were actually on the App.  I vaguely remember only major activities being listed.  

I always wear my watch and don't rely on my cell phone for appropriate time while on cruises.  The reason is that quite often the ship will NOT have you change time, even though the port you go to is on a different time zone.  If there is only a change of one hour, they will rarely tell you to change your watch.  That's why they always refer to "Ship time".  It's not necessarily the same as "Port time".  Alaska was the only cruise we've taken where they actually had us change our clocks a few times as we moved between time zones.  Your cell phone may switch to the Port time without your knowledge.  Depending upon if you are heading East or West, this could potentially cause you to miss your all aboard time.

My husband always wears his watch and we’re usually always together, so I’ll rely on him for the correct time:). I didn’t think about the phone being on airplane mode, so there wouldn’t be anything else draining it. I’ll try it the first day, won’t be a big thing if I don’t use it.  If I don’t like it my phone will be used just for pics like always while on the ship.