Mandatory Service Charges

sidari

Well, the response from the German TA was less than helpful:

Thank you very much for your reply.

On our website and on the German website of MSC Cruises is noted that the gratuities can be canceled on board and are thus voluntary. We do not know any other information about how other countries handle tip regulation. Alternatively, you are welcome to contact MSC Germany because you are booked on the German market:

kundenbetreuung@msccruises.de  

If you have any further questions or wishes please do not hesitate to contact us; we are always at your service.

3 hours ago, citizenfrank said:

As those of us within the same shared mindset said all along, it was not about the DSC itself and the debate that always surrounds it, you know the one that the keyboard warriors love to have on here whilst doing the dishes under instruction from the Mrs.

I have NO OBJECTION if MSC elect to go down the route of mandatory DSC, providing it's transparent from the outset of the booking process and thus becomes part of the choice process.

Similarly I've posted several times that I will purchase Premium Plus on sailings as I value the content and accept the price, but again I didn't value it being changed, sneakily and after I had booked in good faith an alternative.

This decision shows, to be fair, that MSC listens to its customers and that is the sign of a good business.

However it should refrain from the 'under the table' type implementation of policies moving forwards as their actions within the drinks package, DSC, qualification process for black card status and much more WILL HAVE done damage.

A result of sorts and praise to the genuine protesters over the joy riders ...are those dishes spotless? And when are you tackling the trash and the garden? 

If only the listening extended to rescinding the other changes you mention 😉

You are absolutely right, it isn't about the content of the change, it's the manner of implementation.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, citizenfrank said:

As those of us within the same shared mindset said all along, it was not about the DSC itself and the debate that always surrounds it, you know the one that the keyboard warriors love to have on here whilst doing the dishes under instruction from the Mrs......

......A result of sorts and praise to the genuine protesters over the joy riders ...are those dishes spotless? And when are you tackling the trash and the garden? 

Are you on a ship, and over-indulging the drinks package??

To note the precise wording reported (italics are mine):

Clients can remove them at the end of the cruise if they are not happy with the service.

Not so sure that will be taken on board by those who behave reprehensibly in regard to the Daily Service Charge. 

If someone from U.K. Wants to remove the DSC they can do and that's the end of the matter. No one has seen the purported letter to German travel agents stating it's only in cases of poor service and no suggestion of having to prove anything.

The thread was never about the rights or wrongs of removing only about the legality of  changing the terms after contract agreed.

A small number of posters tried to make it an argument about tipping for their own reasons.

• Like 1

What "purported" letter to German travel agents?  The one I'm dealing with is only quoting the following from the German MSC website:

On all our ships, it is customary to tip crew members at their discretion. We recommend the usual tip amount per person per night from € 10, - (Mediterranean, Northern Europe, United Arab Emirates, Cuba, Antilles, MSC Grand Voyages to these destinations as well as to the Caribbean, to USA & Canada, South Africa, South America & Asia) USD 12.50 (Caribbean, South Africa, South America, Asia, MSC Grand Voyages from these destinations to Europe). In order to facilitate a comfortable, discreet handling, the tip recommendation is already marked on your on-board account. If you wish, you can cancel or adjust this amount as you please at the Guest Service Desk.

They also stated the following, after I queried it:

On our website and on the German website of MSC Cruises is noted that the gratuities can be canceled on board and are thus voluntary. We do not know any other information about how other countries handle tip regulation. 

Edited by Beamafar

I'm sure when the dust settles MSC will figure it out and simply raise the base fare in countries where the charge can be removed arbitrarily.

A small number of posters have argued a legal loophole, where in their particular country, it needs to be stated upfront. Although it's a valid point, it does little to solve the problem.

The problem with a group of customers has clearly got out of hand and MSC has had to step in so that those who do not arbitrarily remove the charge are not subsidizing the vacation cost of those who do.

I'm sure they'll figure it out in the end to the better of all.

I haven't read every post, but I'm a little unclear what is covered by the DSC.  I cruise a lot on NCL and the DSC includes the cabin stewards and the dining staff.  Would this be the same on MSC?  Or is the fee only for the cabin steward?   MSC website isn't very precise.  My first MSC cruise is on the Poesia in April.

11 hours ago, hamrag said:

Are you on a ship, and over-indulging the drinks package??

To note the precise wording reported (italics are mine):

Clients can remove them at the end of the cruise if they are not happy with the service.

Not so sure that will be taken on board by those who behave reprehensibly in regard to the Daily Service Charge. 

Time will tell, time will tell.

No I'm obviously not aboard enjoying a drinks package (over indulging is subjective right?) ...If I were I'd for sure not be typing here.

But next month I will be and it had better be good ....or there'll be no tips at all 😆

Edited by citizenfrank
spelling

12 hours ago, Magnelasagne said:

http://crew-center.com/msc-cruises-makes-service-charges-crew-mandatory

it’s still mandatory unless you can prove you had poor service...interesting.  

First paragraph says....

"The payment of service fees serves to ensure the highest quality standards for our guests. MSC Cruises believes that there is no fair system guaranteeing that all crew members will be paid for their exceptional service, which is why the service charge is now mandatory"

As a provider to fee paying guests some may say that is your responsibility!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, citizenfrank said:

First paragraph says....

"The payment of service fees serves to ensure the highest quality standards for our guests. MSC Cruises believes that there is no fair system guaranteeing that all crew members will be paid for their exceptional service, which is why the service charge is now mandatory"

As a provider to fee paying guests some may say that is your responsibility!

That is the funniest thing I've read in a while. 'No fair system' - how about a proper salary paid 100% by MSC that recognises their exceptional service instead of expecting the guests to top it up directly in the manner they askl?!?

• Like 4

The U.K. Website has been changed to read;

SERVICE CHARGE
Each day, MSC Cruises will debit the Service Charge to your onboard account. The charge covers the onboard hospitality services actually enjoyed and is calculated according to the itinerary chosen and the number of nights. For further details of the amounts payable in each currency, please refer to the table below.
However, should you wish to adjust or cancel any of the daily hotel service charges in the unlikely event that you did not receive a satisfactory service, you may do so on board.

25 minutes ago, cruiser man 60 said:

The U.K. Website has been changed to read;

SERVICE CHARGE
Each day, MSC Cruises will debit the Service Charge to your onboard account. The charge covers the onboard hospitality services actually enjoyed and is calculated according to the itinerary chosen and the number of nights. For further details of the amounts payable in each currency, please refer to the table below.
However, should you wish to adjust or cancel any of the daily hotel service charges in the unlikely event that you did not receive a satisfactory service, you may do so on board.

As you were!

9 minutes ago, sidari said:

I had that same reply yesterday, I pay for the services in my cruise fare! As others have said why should we pay again for services that we have already paid for.

I disagree....The Business Model that MSC, and the vast majority of cruiselines operate, is similar and includes a Daily Service Charge which should be paid.....we all know that, and some of us comply and support the Business Model. You are not paying again!

This is similar to the well known Daily Resort Fee at many hotel complexes, so what is the difference? You certainly would not get away with refusing to pay a Resort Fee as they have your credit card details (or a cash deposit)

What happened to the oft repeated mantra throughout this thread that it was not about payment of DSC, but the 'outrageous' decision in moving the goalposts to make it mandatory? The mantra appears to have subtly changed to 'why should we pay again...'.

The wording on the German site doesn't include the "in the unlikely event that you did not receive a satisfactory service, you may do so on board".  It states: " If you wish, you can cancel or adjust this amount as you please at the Guest Service Desk."

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hamrag said:

This is similar to the well known Daily Resort Fee at many hotel complexes, so what is the difference?

I don't agree, HR.  The DRF is for use of the facilities at the resort - not for topping up the wages of the workers.  Therefore, it's not similar, at all.

2 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

I don't agree, HR.  The DRF is for use of the facilities at the resort - not for topping up the wages of the workers.  Therefore, it's not similar, at all.

But Sid is arguing that services have already been paid for in the cruise fair......in the resort context, using the same principle, one could argue that the facilities have already been paid for! Neither you or I really know how cruiseline or resort staff are rewarded/remunerated/compensated. 

Through this whole thread, which has been interesting/amusing at times, it is clear that some go on a cruise with no intention of paying DSC....that is truly reprehensible, as someone posted a few days ago. The sooner MSC go down the NCL route in the UK, and include DSC in the fare, the better as far as I am concerned. The emerging 'status quo' decision will not be the end of the matter, and fairness will prevail in the end.  

We have sailed 14 cruiselines and our next booking is a first on Crystal for our Ruby wedding, with our family, so we do not really have a 'preferred' cruiseline. TBH, the jury is out on whether we will sail MSC again. We have 2 outwith YC and 2 YC (most recent) experiences. The 1st YC was a real deal, the 2nd one not really and the prices have now increased substantially.....although if we found a Voyager 5+15% deal we would probably book YC again, but they tend to be for less straightforward itineraries.

Happy cruising on the Meraviglia, when it comes around....and that inside YC cabin will be absolutely fine!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, hamrag said:

We have sailed 14 cruiselines and our next booking is a first on Crystal for our Ruby wedding, with our family, so we do not really have a 'preferred' cruiseline. TBH, the jury is out on whether we will sail MSC again. We have 2 outwith YC and 2 YC (most recent) experiences. The 1st YC was a real deal, the 2nd one not really and the prices have now increased substantially.....although if we found a Voyager 5+15% deal we would probably book YC again, but they tend to be for less straightforward itineraries.

Happy cruising on the Meraviglia, when it comes around....and that inside YC cabin will be absolutely fine!

Thanks, HR.  We actually have a YIN booked on Seaview beforehand (in Aug/Sep - Mer is in Oct).

The way YC prices are going, these may be our last (or we'll cruise a lot less).  In fact, the way MSC prices going for all categories, we may consider moving to another cruise line.

On topic ... IF the DSC gets included in the cruise fare, the VC discount will apply, which could very well see an increase in the charge to counteract the loss, thereby making it an even bigger cost than it is at present.

Edited by Beamafar
  • Like 1