Customs when returning to the U.S.

ChosenOne

Anyone with recent experience returning to the U.S. (Tampa) who can give me an idea how long it took you to get through customs in the port of Tampa after visiting Havana?  I've heard it can take longer because of being in Cuba.     We will be on Carnival Paradise in April and will be meeting a cousin in Tampa....we have priority debarkation so we should be in the first group to get off the ship.  Just need a guideline to tell our relative about what time to expect us to be ready to be picked up.  Thanks

Don't know about Tampa, but my wife and I had no problems at all in Miami after our return from Cuba in November.  Bags were probably screened before we picked them up in the luggage hall.

Anything to declare? Nope.

Great, welcome back.

Next...

• Thanks 1

I don't remember the amount that you are allowed specifically, but it is quite high. Unless you plan on bringing in enough cigars to start a business, you should be okay! the allowances are spelled out in some of the documents that you will see when you enter into Cuba.

4 hours ago, rloduca said:

I have a question about declarations.  Sorry I haven't really been through customs a bunch.  I'm sure I will want to bring back rum/cigars.  Do we declare these items or is it just over a certain dollar amount? 

You have to declare if you're bringing back more than 100 Cuban cigars.  

I don't drink alcohol so I am not sure about that.  

Just returned on the Azamara Journey into Miami (3/1).

US Customs was quick, once you got to the front of the line.  Only 2 officers working.  Maybe 15min wait.

US Customs looked at our passports & said "welcome home".

No inquiry into declaring anything.

Enjoy your trip!

22 hours ago, farmerj said:

Just returned on the Azamara Journey into Miami (3/1).

US Customs was quick, once you got to the front of the line.  Only 2 officers working.  Maybe 15min wait.

US Customs looked at our passports & said "welcome home".

No inquiry into declaring anything.

Enjoy your trip!

Same experience in November at Port Everglades

Just got back (yesterday) after cruising to Cuba and going through Tampa.  We flew through customs in Tampa.  All the deks were staffed so there were no lines.  There are no customs forms anymore so the customs official asked what we purchased (a handful of cigars and a couple bottles of rum) and we were done and to our transportation to the airport.

• Thanks 1

On 2/22/2019 at 8:17 PM, Cienfuegos said:

In November, we were told one liter of rum was free of duty, with fees on any excess amounts. Some states may impose their own limits, and apply taxes.

I think the 1 litre is per person 21 and over.