Plugs on viking

bafinegan

I know  Viking has US type plugs on their longships, but will I need a converter if I use these plugs?  I have an OLD kindle that I am not sure will automatically convert the power like the newer kindles.  This may seem obvious, but I just wanted to be sure.  Thanks in advance!

baf

38 minutes ago, bafinegan said:

I know  Viking has US type plugs on their longships, but will I need a converter if I use these plugs?  I have an OLD kindle that I am not sure will automatically convert the power like the newer kindles.  This may seem obvious, but I just wanted to be sure.  Thanks in advance!

baf

From Vikings FAQ:

If you are traveling on a Viking Longship, you will find both 110V and 220V electrical outlets in your stateroom. The 220V outlets are German Schuko 2-pin safety plugs. There are also several US 110V sockets. Should you need an adapter for these outlets, they can be found at most electronic or travel stores, or are available for sale in the onboard shop. (Remember that if you’re staying in a hotel for part of your journey, you’ll want the appropriate adapter for that country as well.) In your stateroom, you will also find a USB socket to charge cell phones and tablets; just bring the appropriate cable with you. Modern electronic devices can accommodate different electrical currents, so you probably won’t need a current converter. Please note that heat-producing appliances, such as irons, steamers, curling irons and heaters, are potential safety hazards and therefore not permitted on board. Hair dryers are provided on board and in our hotels so you likely do not need to bring one with you. See the chart for more details and pictures of the plugs.

This means that any North American 3 flat prong outlet will be 110V.

• Like 1

It is not the Kindle/Phone/camera itself that does the converting but the block that is part of the power cord. There is writing on that block that will tell you if you can use it with either 120v or 220v without a converter. You will need a magnifying glass and it will say something like: INPUT: AC 100-240V, 50-60Hz 1.0A(mp).  It is the numbers that I have highlighted that you need to look at.

100-120V --All-American!  Needs converter to use in European outlets (else you will fry the device)

220-240V -- Strictly European!  Cannot be used in American outlets without a converter

100-240V --  A switch hitter!! With the proper adapter as needed, will work in either American or European outlets. The block is the converter (because even wimpy US 110V current is more than our electronic devices can handle).

But even more important than that: don't forget to bring the cable that fits your device.

We were cruising in Ukraine in 2012 and one of the women forgot to bring the charging cord for her camera. She ended up buy a brand-new camera because no one on board had a cable that would fit her camera.

Edited by Peregrina651

12 hours ago, gnome12 said:

This means that any North American 3 flat prong outlet will be 110V.

Of course I meant 2 flat prongs.

6 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

It is not the Kindle/Phone/camera itself that does the converting but the block that is part of the power cord. There is writing on that block that will tell you if you can use it with either 120v or 220v without a converter. You will need a magnifying glass and it will say something like: INPUT: AC 100-240V, 50-60Hz 1.0A(mp).  It is the numbers that I have highlighted that you need to look at.

100-120V --All-American!  Needs converter to use in European outlets (else you will fry the device)

220-240V -- Strictly European!  Cannot be used in American outlets without a converter

100-240V --  A switch hitter!! With the proper adapter as needed, will work in either American or European outlets. The block is the converter (because even wimpy US 110V current is more than our electronic devices can handle).

But even more important than that: don't forget to bring the cable that fits your device.

We were cruising in Ukraine in 2012 and one of the women forgot to bring the charging cord for her camera. She ended up buy a brand-new camera because no one on board had a cable that would fit her camera.

This would be an issue if Viking didn't have 110V US style plugs which the OP knows will work. However, the information is always good to know. As is your admonition to remember the proper cable.

12 hours ago, bafinegan said:

Kindles have had a USB socket for the power lead since the first generation, so any USB power supply can charge your device. If you're going to be in Europe for any length of time before or after your cruise, or expect to visit Europe more than once, you may find it easier to take a two pin Euro USB power supply so that you can charge your Kindle or other USB powered device anywhere without worrying about voltage ratings and the faff of carrying a plug converter. No-name Euro USB power supplies are dirt cheap to buy from eBay or Amazon, and branded ones such as Apple aren't exactly expensive to buy online.

My kindle is one of the original ones and I have long since replaced the original cord-lol.  This is our first trip to Europe and not sure how frequently  we will return ( Viking aint cheap!!!)  Good to know about the cord.  I already have an adapter for the hotel for our electronics.  Just wasn't sure of the need for the converter.  (Figured the kindle could wait to be recharged once onboard).  I just have visions of the plug ins on Viking being like an adapter and not a converter.  Like I said, I probably was over thinking this!  Thanks to all responded for all the helpful hints and info :)

baf

1 hour ago, bafinegan said:

I just have visions of the plug ins on Viking being like an adapter and not a converter.  Like I said, I probably was over thinking this!  Thanks to all responded for all the helpful hints and info 🙂

baf

Don’t be shy. You understand the difference between an adapter and a converter, and that is a really good start. 

• Like 3