MSC Seaside - Keep Aurea Classic Bev Pkg or upgrade to Premium

NameThatFunnel

Hello,

I have a sailing coming up on Seaside and since I booked over a year ago, my Aurea classic beverage package will be honored according to two reps I spoke with at MSC. My question is since I understand that the price of drinks have increased, will the per drink limit of the old classic pkg of $8 for cocktails, $7.50 for wine by the glass and $5.50 for beer allow me to have more then just one or two choices?

On my previous cruises, I upgraded to the deluxe for around $60 pp for the week. If I switch over the the new premium package, it will cost $105 pp and the per drink limit would increase to $12, which I'm assuming would give me more options. Another consideration is that with the old classic pkg I will still get unlimited gelato, smoothies, shakes and any specialty coffee drinks from Venchi.

If anyone that has been onboard Seaside recently could provide some idea of current drink prices. Thanks for your assistance.

The limit for Classic is $10 after the changes. It covers virtually everything.  Great brands of liquor, mixed and frozen drinks - and it covers gelato, and the coffee drinks at Venchi, in case that matters to you.

The Premium doesn't really add anything above what the Classic covers - and infact removes gelato, etc.  

The only "upgrade" from classic is to Premium plus, which is more akin to the old Deluxe - includes Venchi, minibar, room service delivered drinks, discount on bottles of wine/champagne, etc 

Personally, I'd stick with the classic. It really does cover most everything except some upper end premium brands,  and room service or minibar.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, reedprincess said:

The only "upgrade" from classic is to Premium plus...

MSC offers an upgrade from Classic to Premium for $15pp/d. 

Since OP can't upgrade to Deluxe at this point I would also say stay with Classic.  So far MSC, at least on Caribbean sailings, have been honoring all the drink choices that were offered to Classic before the price changes.  The package upgrade prices seem the same whether done before or on the ship so waiting until you're on the ship to see what you are allowed to get is not a bad option.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Até said:

MSC offers an upgrade from Classic to Premium for $15pp/d. 

Since OP can't upgrade to Deluxe at this point I would also say stay with Classic.  So far MSC, at least on Caribbean sailings, have been honoring all the drink choices that were offered to Classic before the price changes.  The package upgrade prices seem the same whether done before or on the ship so waiting until you're on the ship to see what you are allowed to get is not a bad option.

Yes, well aware of that "upgrade" - which isn't much if an upgrade at all, per my comments above - actually losing some perks from classic, not adding much if anything  additiona l, if one were to "upgrade" to Premium.

The only real upgrade from Classic is to PP as PP is much more like the old Deluxe, although a little better in some ways, given the zero price limit on drinks, etc

14 minutes ago, reedprincess said:

Yes, well aware of that "upgrade" - which isn't much if an upgrade at all...

Sorry, I didn't understand your use of quotation marks.  Yes, the "upgrade" from Classic to Premium is nonsense based on what they are currently grandfathering to Classic on US sailings.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NameThatFunnel said:

Thanks for all the responses. I think I will keep the classic and hope that most of what we like to drink is available to us. I would have upgraded to the premium plus as it does appear closer to the old deluxe, but not for another $200 pp.

What is it you drink that you're concerned about? 

11 hours ago, NameThatFunnel said:

Nothing fancy, just would like more wine options than just one or two, multiple brands of beer and ciders and choices for beverages including rum and liqueurs.

Yeah.  The Classic has that.  Multiple options for rum (Appleton, Myers, Zacapa, Bacardi, etc ..) liqueurs including Grand Marnier and DiSarrono, etc.  Pretty much all the beers and ciders...nothing we drank was charg d, and that includes YuengLing, Peroni, Stella and so on... Not a lot of Cider choices - but they would have l been covered by the Classic Packge.  

Unless you're looking g for Johnny Walker Blue or Beluga Vodka or such - th classic has you covered..

• Like 1

On 2/22/2019 at 6:20 AM, NameThatFunnel said:

Thanks for all the responses. I think I will keep the classic and hope that most of what we like to drink is available to us. I would have upgraded to the premium plus as it does appear closer to the old deluxe, but not for another $200 pp.

Good choice.  We enjoyed the "Classic" on Divina and the bartenders were very accomodating.  No need to upgrade.

• Like 1