Silly anxiety - overboard fears

widdis

So first...excessive worrier here!  

Cruising on the Epic in April with wife, kids, and part of a group.  I've never been on a cruise ship before, so i have a silly excessive worrier question.  Our kids, ages 15 and 12, aren't rough players.  Are there walls/safety rails on the pool decks to prevent something from falling overboard?

Thanks in advance!

The only way anyone will go overboard is if they are doing something stupid.

On the Getaway 13-20 January, a girl tried to sit on her balcony to take a selfie and she fell from deck 9 to deck 7.  She was airlifted off the ship and I heard, unconfirmed, that she passed away.  It was on the very first night of the cruise.  Just make sure the kids don't try anything stupid like that and there is nothing to worry about.

There are rails on all public decks and balconies. It is very difficult to go overboard from a cruise ship accidentally.  Usually, if a person has gone overboard, it’s because s/he jumped intentionally, or a crime was committed, or alcohol was involved and the person was doing something incredibly stupid, like climbing up on the railing. 

Your childen seem old enough that they will understand when you tell them that they are never to climb up on any railings, or on any furniture on balconies or railings. 

Enjoy your cruise!

4 minutes ago, widdis said:

So first...excessive worrier here!  

Cruising on the Epic in April with wife, kids, and part of a group.  I've never been on a cruise ship before, so i have a silly excessive worrier question.  Our kids, ages 15 and 12, aren't rough players.  Are there walls/safety rails on the pool decks to prevent something from falling overboard?

Thanks in advance!

Something  really "stupid" has to happen to go overboard. It doesn't "just" happen accidentally.

Remind your  kids "NO CLIMBING" anytime.

It is not physically possible to "fall" over a railing on any of the NCL ships I have been on. They are all chest-height on me and I am 5'7". You would have to physically climb the railings to get your center of gravity high enough. And even that would be a feat, since most of the railings have glass walls, not metal crossbars that you could use as a ladder. Would probably have to climb on a chair or table to get up high enough?

I think the fact you never see reports of children going overboard tell a lot, children love to climb but never go overboard!

Adults go overboard and I don't think I have seen one report that has not turned out to be a deliberate/drunk act.

• Like 1

Actually kids aren't the ones who fall off cruise ships. It's usually drunk adults who are doing something they're not supposed to do. I understand your concern, but I think your kids will be too busy having a good time to do something that would cause them to fall overboard. Go and have a great time! Don't worry!

• Like 1

My boys, one hyper, have been cruising since they were 3 and 9. Never had an issue!  Super safe.. but, it's our duty as parents to keep an eye on them. We also had rules, such as not going to the room alone and not to go into any of the room hallways! To many weirdos in this world!

They've  cruised about 10 times or so. Now into their 20's, I don't worry at all 😉

• Like 1