Cruise Critic Community
mac66

St.Maarten Scuba?

Going to scuba in St. Maarten in April.  Looking at the Fun Dive Center or Dive Adventures/Aqua Mania  both of which are within walking distance of the cruise port which will save cab fare.  Since they are both in the same place I'm thinking they are the same outfit.  They get a lot of good reviews on Trip Advisor.  Anybody use these guys? 

Edited by mac66

We dove with Scuba fun dive center.  Nice boats not the best diving not the worst.  We did see tons of sharks but the dive conditions were not great.  

4 minutes ago, stevenq99 said:

We dove with Scuba fun dive center.  Nice boats not the best diving not the worst.  We did see tons of sharks but the dive conditions were not great.  

Agree ... St Maarten is not the best port stop for diving or snorkeling either.  

The itinerary on  my next cruise is San Juan, St. Maarten and Labadee so St. Maarten gets the nod.

Back from our cruise. I can report that i booked Dive Adventures through Aqua Mania and everthing went smoothly.  Their shop was a short 10 min walk from the port. 

There were 5 divers on the boat but they took out another boat load of 10 divers who booked through the ship. The seas were pretty rough but we got in a couple dives. Saw some sharks, turtles, wrecks etc.

Mac,

Thanks for the info on everything.  Do you have either a website or email info for them?

Thanks,

Harris

Denver, CO

Posted (edited)

Their website is http://www.stmaartendive.com

They have three locations on the island. The one closest to the cruise port is from Dock Maarten. Probabably a half mile from the port. Took me 10 minutes to walk.

The two tank dive with equipment was $110.

Edited by mac66

3 hours ago, mac66 said:

Their website is http://www.stmaartendive.com

They have three locations on the island. The one closest to the cruise port is from Dock Maarten. Probabably a half mile from the port. Took me 10 minutes to walk.

The two tank dive with equipment was $110.

Thanks!

Harris

Denver, Co

We dove with Ocean Explorers for two years and they are absolutely phenomenal.  Very accommodating and arrange transportation to and from their shop.  2018 was a discover scuba and we went to a little cove where helmet divers go at 25 feet. We completed our certifications last summer and this past March we dove the Carib cargo wreck in 65 feet.  Several sharks and fish.  Crew could not have been more attentive and really took care of us newly certified first ocean divers.  The water was very rough on the way to the dive sites and a couple of people were queasy.  

IMG_0081.JPG

IMG_0080.JPG

Thanks for the recommendations!  We are on the Fascination in Sept and DH wants to dive several ports, still deciding which ones.  This looks like a good option.

Apparently the seas are often rough in St. Maarten.  I didn't get sea sick but was feeling kinda queasy until I got into the water.

Some photos.

tbpCOjx.jpg

PLCuQf3.jpg

fhqKd1v.jpg

On 4/29/2019 at 8:33 PM, PKB said:

We dove with Ocean Explorers for two years and they are absolutely phenomenal.

IMG_0081.JPG

IMG_0080.JPG

Another vote for Ocean Explorers. Great outfit, smaller boat with small group, great crew. We will use them again next time we’re in St Maarten.