Cabin location for rough seas

tedly1960

Good day all,

Haven't booked yet but are going to be booking on the Dawn for a Mediterranean cruise in and out of Venice. Not huge cruise people, but between the front or back of the ship, what is better when the seas are rough?

Thank you in advance.

Low decks in the middle.  Think of being on a see-saw the ends are the ones with the most movement.  Low decks and inside are you best bet.    In the olden days the ships photographer's studio  was in the center and on one of the lowest decks of the ship so that it was more stable when developing the film.  

• Like 1

A mentioned, low and middle is least movement.  However, at the back doesn't feel much motion either.  The front of the ship is where the motion is greatest as it pitches up and then back down.   The good news, these ships are very stabilized.  Even with seas that you would think should generate motion, it is frequently just like being in a building on shore.  

3 hours ago, tedly1960 said:

Good day all,

Haven't booked yet but are going to be booking on the Dawn for a Mediterranean cruise in and out of Venice. Not huge cruise people, but between the front or back of the ship, what is better when the seas are rough?

Thank you in advance.

Middle of the ship as low as you can go. 

BUT, if the seas are rough, every room, every hallway, every venue on the ship will be rocking and rolling. Therefore there are no “good” rooms in rough seas. 

Just to add a little more colour to the discussion, I've dredged up an old post of mine from a similar thread in the past.

Pitch (i.e. stern up bow down or bow up stern down type motion) - lower and more central reduces "felt" motion.

Yaw (i.e. the ship being diverted either starboard or port off the desired course) - "felt" motion greater to the bow regardless of deck.

Roll (i.e. the side-to-side starboard down port up transitioning to starboard up port down motion... where you feel the ship is rolling back and forth from side to side) - "felt" motion greater the higher up you are regardless of bow to stern orientation. List, by the way, occurs when a prevailing wind condition keeps the ship at a lean to starboard or port but not rolling. As with roll, however, you'd "feel" list more on higher decks regardless of being fore, mid, or aft.

Surge (i.e. the whole ship being forced forward or backward against it's inertia) and Heave (i.e. the whole ship dropping down or rising up) will be "felt" pretty much the same regardless of where you are on board.

So - of the typical ship motions (which often occur in concert as opposed to discretely) your position on the ship will only change how you experience some of them but it is true to say you will "feel" more motion on higher decks toward the bow because that position isn't relatively sheltered from any of the typical movements. My favourite place - because I like to feel motion - is a bow suite.

Note - I'm not a sailor but I play one on "boards".