RCCL with two ports in Cuba. US$ or exchange for local?

mishfromva

I'll be cruising on Majesty of the Seas in a few weeks with two stops in Cuba.  We've book excursions thru RCCL, but are curious if I need to exchange money if we decide to buy anything?

Do they accept US$? or should/can I exchange $ at the Miami airport or do they have ATM's once we dock in Cuba?

Any suggestions are appreciated as clearly this is our first trip to Cuba.

I was just there a few weeks ago on Majesty of the Seas.  We only did Havana.  You have to exchange your money once you dock in Cuba.  They charge a 13% fee to exchange.  This applies to exchanging into CUCs (Cuban dollars) and exchanging any leftover CUCs back into USD.  You can only exchange in Cuba.  Also,  for the most part American credit cards are not accepted in Cuba.  I did read that they may accept some Mastercards but didn't see any shops that indicated that they did.  

Hope this is helpful. 

3 hours ago, mishfromva said:

Thank you.  Is it best to change my us$ to Euros or Canadian for better rates/fees? I thought I read that, but not sure of the accuracy.

Don't buy another currency as you will have to pay exchange twice.  First you will pay to buy CAD$ from your bank (where they of course will take a cut) and then you will have to pay an exchange at a bank in Cuba for CUC where they will take a few more cents.  

The 10% fee is only for changing USD into CUC. No fee for Euro or CAD.

So if you have non US money left than change that into CUC.

US cards do not work in Cuba. And you can only exchange CUC at the official CADECA exchange offices (and in hotels). You will find an exchange in Havana port but also in all other Cuban ports. But be aware... two years ago the office in Havana port closed by 4 pm.

All official shops won´t accept USD in cash (those where you can buy rum or cigars). A private cab driver might accept.

steamboats

• Like 1

Bad idea. you would be paying 2 different exchange rates (Euros being the higher exchange. Today the rate is about 1.14 USD for 1 EURO). Also, when you exchange at the airport ( I assume you are flying in) their exchange rates are far higher than anywhere else. As of this morning, the US dollar conversion rate to Cuban Pesos is almost the exact exchange as USD to Canadian dollars (1.32 approx.) I would suggest that if you were going to exchange anything, do the CDN first (at home bank) and then do the Cuban Pesos exchange in Cuba.

Full disclosure, I'm not a professional banking person. I am just a Canadian who now lives in Florida full time and does a lot of

traveling.

Either way, enjoy Cuba. You will have a great time.

When I went to Cuba in 2017, I exchanged USD to CAD at my local bank. Then when we got to Havana, we exchanged CAD to CUCs. We saved money doing it that way but I believe it all depends on the exchange rate you get at your home bank. Either way, you're not giving the Cuban government 13% of your exchange when you trade USD for CUCs.

FYI,  in one of the ports they were very picky about the dollar bills.  Any blemish and they would not exchange them.  Also wrote down our passport #.

As was said before, if you want to buy cigars you have to use CUCs since you will only want to buy them at official locations.

Tips, etc. can probably done in US dollars.

There are people who will swear to exchange to a foreign currency, but then are unable to tell you what exchange rate they paid on that exchange.  Will it be less than what Cuba charges.  Maybe.  But, when I went a couple years ago, I actively looked at my airport and it was NOT. A place in the mall near where I was staying? Yes, it was.

But, how much are you even talking about? $100? $200?  It may be cost effective if you are staying a few days and need to pay for hotels, etc.  But, why waste your time going to the bank or getting in line at the exchange booth to save $10.