Shareholder's OBC on Celebrity - denied. Help to know why.

Mytravellove

Thanks you for all the responses. It would be my understanding to buy the stock for performance and expect no OBC as a benefit.  I think I can live with that as from what I have seen of Celebrity offers enough perks to offset the lost OBC to satisfy me for what I am looking for in a cruise  (value).

ICUQT-

I think you have it exactly correct. To purchase the stock and expect to use the Shareholder benefit on Celebrity is going to be an unusual event these days. If you like the stock, and think it fits your investing style, then if you get any shareholder benefits ever - you can view it as lowering your cost averaged stock value. Or just bonus. 

I had purchased the stock for the long term capital appreciation perspective, and have been fortunate that it has a unrealized gain position for me. The few Shareholder OBC,s were just a bonus, and RCCL has paid a dividend from time to time and therefore has added to the number of shares owned due to dividend reinvestment. My CCL stock has given me Shareholder OBC every time I applied for it, unlike RCCL. 

Mirage

20 hours ago, ICUQT said:

Thanks you for all the responses. It would be my understanding to buy the stock for performance and expect no OBC as a benefit.  I think I can live with that as from what I have seen of Celebrity offers enough perks to offset the lost OBC to satisfy me for what I am looking for in a cruise  (value).

I bought my shares almost 20 years ago.   At the time I paid $19 a share so pretty happy with the price at $120.    One other thing is they pay a decent dividend that over times mount up especially if you select their dividend reinvestment program.

Thank you everyone for your comments on this post I started in frustration. To give you the background and then the result.

I am doing a 7day Princess cruise on March 30/19 and then a 9day Celebrity cruise on April 8/19. I am fortunate to have owned shares in both Princess and Celebrity and have seen the appreciation in both their share prices over the years. Unfortunately my discount brokerage firm says that neither the CCL nor the RCCL shares can do the DRIP (dividend re-investment plan)...may have something about being Canadian (?), but I'm ok with that as the dividends I receive in US $ allows me to invest/diversify in other NYSE shares.

I applied for the Shareholders benefit OBC on Princess and received the credit within 20 minutes of faxing off my request!!!

On the other hand, it has taken over 2 weeks to hear back with a proper solution from Celebrity (I had received the automated email response) . Yesterday I received a call from someone from Celebrity who advised that they will give me the difference between what I would have got as a Shareholder (i.e. US$100) v/s what I did get from the TA (i.e. US$50). So I now have OBC on my Celebrity cruise of US$100. A happy solution as that is all I was looking for...and of course a wonderful cruise.

Still happy to be a Shareholder, and we as shareholders have a say. I think we should speak up, just saying.

• 5 weeks later...

We booked a Celebrity cruise 14 days Japan. The request for the shareholder obc was refused as it said we got a special fare.

( As a valued shareholder, you are very important to us. The requested shareholder benefit onboard credit cannot be applied to reservation xxxxx as it is not combinable with the discount offer,) Every cruise we take is discounted, who would pay full fare?

We are now going to be ex shareholders of RCCL, and ex cruisers on Royal Caribbean lines.

We mainly sail on HAL or Princess under Carnival Cruise Lines and have never been refused a shareholder obc because we  got a good price. We just did a NCL cruise to Mexico and got a screaming deal and still got the shareholer OBC.

So long Royal Caribbean family.