Please help me plan Mykonos

mimxmom

We have never been to Mykonos before but I think I would like to just explore on our own. I am interested in the wind mills, wandering through the town streets and lunch somewhere on the water at Little Venice. How much time should I plan for this...walking? Our ship is in port from 6am-6pm. Please help with any advice and recommendations for places for lunch. Do I need to make a reservation? Maybe time to go to the beach for a couple of hours? We will be there in June.

Edited by mimxmom

While we didn't eat lunch in Mykonos (our loss!), it only took a couple of hours for us to walk around town, exploring the windmills, streets and shops.  We had to take a water shuttle to/from where our ship's port (details in my review below).

We were there in October, but if it had been June, we probably would have explored Agios Stefanos Beach from the ship, a short (but somewhat hilly to walk) distance away.  See picture below.

beachnearport.jpg

2 hours ago, dogs4fun said:

Mykonos provided a wonderfully relaxing day just wandering around town. We had a lovely lunch, enjoyed visiting the windmills and the nearby church, and feeding the cats (stopped at a pet store for cat food).

Same, although we did not feed the cats.Hundreds of photo ops just wandering.

We saw everything in Mykonos in about 5 hours including Little Venice and the windmills. I wanted to go to Delos at 10 am and be back for 1 pm to spend 3 hours walking around the town. The town is very nice but is a big shopping port outside of a few churches, Little Venice which is really little and the windmills.

I was recovering from a health event so we bypassed Delos. If I were going again, I would split the day between Delos and the town.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/28/2019 at 5:19 PM, WallyNDiane said:

We saw everything in Mykonos in about 5 hours including Little Venice and the windmills. I wanted to go to Delos at 10 am and be back for 1 pm to spend 3 hours walking around the town. The town is very nice but is a big shopping port outside of a few churches, Little Venice which is really little and the windmills.

I was recovering from a health event so we bypassed Delos. If I were going again, I would split the day between Delos and the town.

Do you have to arrange transportation to Delos? 

Just started researching Mykonos and Delos is something I would love to do...

13 hours ago, NayaSantaFe said:

Do you have to arrange transportation to Delos? 

Just started researching Mykonos and Delos is something I would love to do...

If you do do your own Delos tour, you can either prebook or buy your tickets on the dock. If there are many ships in Mykonos that day, I work purchase tickets to Delos before your cruise. The Delos dock is right at the foot of town allowing you to tour both Delos and Mykonos. The town is nice, but remember the windmills and Little Venice are quite small. So Mykonos is mostly a shopping destination.

2 hours ago, WallyNDiane said:

If you do do your own Delos tour, you can either prebook or buy your tickets on the dock. If there are many ships in Mykonos that day, I work purchase tickets to Delos before your cruise. The Delos dock is right at the foot of town allowing you to tour both Delos and Mykonos. The town is nice, but remember the windmills and Little Venice are quite small. So Mykonos is mostly a shopping destination.

I was able to find the Delos boat and it seems like it leaves at 10am and returns at 1:30pm. We are in town from 8am to 3:30pm, so that would leave us with 2 hours upon return to explore Mykonos. But, this might be enough then considering their is not much to do, right?

Are the mills withing walking distance from the dock?

2 hours ago, NayaSantaFe said:

I was able to find the Delos boat and it seems like it leaves at 10am and returns at 1:30pm. We are in town from 8am to 3:30pm, so that would leave us with 2 hours upon return to explore Mykonos. But, this might be enough then considering their is not much to do, right?

Are the mills withing walking distance from the dock?

The windmills are a short walk from the Delos dock. You could get off the ship ASAP which would allow some town walking before your trip to Delos. That coupled with a few hours after the Delos tour would allow sufficient time to see Mykonos.

Many times the ship shore excursion to Delos leaves earlier and returns earlier. You just pay more for the ship tour but you then can spend all your post Delos time seeing Mykonos.

Take a look at your other ports as Santorini, Rhodes and Malta provide plenty of shopping time. Mykonos has beautiful white washed buildings and cobble stone grout. But all this beauty is in the shopping district.

Use Google earth to investigate Mykonos city. Great way to get a plan established.

5 minutes ago, WallyNDiane said:

The windmills are a short walk from the Delos dock. You could get off the ship ASAP which would allow some town walking before your trip to Delos. That coupled with a few hours after the Delos tour would allow sufficient time to see Mykonos.

Many times the ship shore excursion to Delos leaves earlier and returns earlier. You just pay more for the ship tour but you then can spend all your post Delos time seeing Mykonos.

Take a look at your other ports as Santorini, Rhodes and Malta provide plenty of shopping time. Mykonos has beautiful white washed buildings and cobble stone grout. But all this beauty is in the shopping district.

Use Google earth to investigate Mykonos city. Great way to get a plan established.

I was looking at google maps and it says it is about a 40 minute walk from port to the Delos dock, is there a shuttle provided by the ship into town or would we have to grab a taxi if we don't want to make that long walk?

Also, I will check with the cruise and see what the cost for that Delos excursion would cost and see if there is a big difference in price.

10 minutes ago, WallyNDiane said:

Looks like the ship excursion is 3 times what we would pay if we book it on our own 😕

18 hours ago, NayaSantaFe said:

I was looking at google maps and it says it is about a 40 minute walk from port to the Delos dock, is there a shuttle provided by the ship into town or would we have to grab a taxi if we don't want to make that long walk?

Also, I will check with the cruise and see what the cost for that Delos excursion would cost and see if there is a big difference in price.

Our Celebrity Eclipse cruise berthed at the dock. One other ship was in port and it used tenders. We had full sized buses that took us from the ship to within a 5 minute walk  to the town. The buses were free and ran all day.

The cruise excursions are terrible expensive. Sometimes they do offer some convenience but you really pay for it.

If you dock in Mykanos it is a very long (and not particularly safe) walk to the port.  Most cruises offer a shuttle service.  Otherwise if you tender the tender dock is right in the middle of the square, close to the windmills and the dock for the ferry to Deleos.  I've done both - far more convenient to tender.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

We will be on the Reflection in Mykanos from 7am - 6pm  on Oct 5 with 2 other ships including the Edge.  The Reflection is tendering.  Right now I have the ships excursion to Delos for 99 PP which seems very expensive.   Do you think it's worth it?   Appreciate your feedback.  

• 2 weeks later...