Buenos Aires Port

We-R-Off

The terminal is easy to access, but remote from most of the city. The embarkation area, however, has to be reached via a bus from the terminal. At least it was that way on the Eclipse a few weeks ago.  Don't recall any nearby hotels.  We stayed to the San Telmo area of the city and the taxi, as I recall, cost about $300 Pesos. BA is a large, spread-out city, but lots of taxis at reasonable prices. Pick an area of the city you like and find a hotel you like, Just don't expect to be overly close to the cruise terminal.

The terminal is right in the city.  You can take a 5-10 minute taxi ride to most of the tourist areas.  It will cost you a bloody fortune going from the port to anywhere ($35 or so to even the closest places), and maybe $10 - $15 coming back.  The cabs tack on a hefty fee coming out of the port, but once you're out of the port, taxis are pretty cheap.

We walked a few blocks and hailed a cab. Several stopped but were not interested in taking us to our destination  - the Buquebus port to Uruguay -  finally one agreed. Try to get a cab with a meter or you will pay a lot.

Edited by Lunenburg

13 hours ago, boom_boom said:

The terminal is easy to access, but remote from most of the city. The embarkation area, however, has to be reached via a bus from the terminal. At least it was that way on the Eclipse a few weeks ago.  Don't recall any nearby hotels.  We stayed to the San Telmo area of the city and the taxi, as I recall, cost about $300 Pesos. BA is a large, spread-out city, but lots of taxis at reasonable prices. Pick an area of the city you like and find a hotel you like, Just don't expect to be overly close to the cruise terminal.

We are planning to arrive 5 days pre-cruise, & go to Igazu falls for 2 nights. I thought to get a taxi from the airport after the falls to the ship. My sister has recommended a great airb n b in the centre.

Edited by We-R-Off

On 2/26/2019 at 4:29 PM, boom_boom said:

On 2/26/2019 at 4:18 PM, We-R-Off said:

Is the cruise port in Buenos Aires easily accessible to & from the city. We’re planning to stay several days pre-cruise?

On 2/26/2019 at 4:18 PM, We-R-Off said:

Is the cruise port in Buenos Aires easily accessible to & from the city. We’re planning to stay several days pre-cruise?

It is really close. We paid for 4 people 30$

and that is way to much. After staying for two days i know we overpaid. 10$ to the Plaza de Mayo should be enough. 

15 hours ago, Momi said:

It is really close. We paid for 4 people 30$

and that is way to much. After staying for two days i know we overpaid. 10$ to the Plaza de Mayo should be enough. 

Perhaps, but the taxi drivers at the port are choosy who they will carry and just say no if you query their prices. There are a few hundred more behind you who will pay what they ask!

The black and yellow taxis have a meter and they charge you fair. We just got in the taxi, devided the showen price by 39 and paid in US $. No problem ever. 

They don’t have change and do not accept 

1$ bills. 

On 3/4/2019 at 4:32 AM, Lunenburg said:

Perhaps, but the taxi drivers at the port are choosy who they will carry and just say no if you query their prices. There are a few hundred more behind you who will pay what they ask!

Not really,  though many port taxis are cheats. Just walk down the block away from the congregated cars and hail a street cab. Meters are mandatory in the city limits. Taxis in BA are about 1/3 the price of taxis in NYC. The port is not remote from the best parts of the city. Puerto Madero and Recoleta rides would cost anywhere from $5-10 max. Palermo might be as high as $12 (480 pesos).

Uber is also an option though Uber drivers would probably have difficulty picking up at the port - the taxi drivers (whose medallions have now lost much of the value they paid before Uber came to town) would surely harrass them or worse. 

p.s. I have lived in Bs As for over 10 years and have sailed in or out about 10 times.

Edited by pmacher61
  • Thanks 1