Taxi to and from east side

love2travel2146

We have looked at getting a driver to take us to the east side and stay with us on our cruise day but it is very expensive for our group of 9 people. (Over $300). So I am wondering how easy it would be to get a taxi back to the cruise port from the east side beaches. Can we prebook a ride back? Would that be a safe bet to get us back? We don’t want to be stuck there!!! Second question do the taxis take credit cards or is it cash only? And about how much would a one way trip be? 

Thanks!

1 hour ago, love2travel2146 said:

We have looked at getting a driver to take us to the east side and stay with us on our cruise day but it is very expensive for our group of 9 people. (Over $300). So I am wondering how easy it would be to get a taxi back to the cruise port from the east side beaches. Can we prebook a ride back? Would that be a safe bet to get us back? We don’t want to be stuck there!!! Second question do the taxis take credit cards or is it cash only? And about how much would a one way trip be? 

Thanks!

I suppose it depends exactly where you want to go and how long you want to stay.

ToursPlaza, whom we have used regularly would be under $300 for 4-5 hours according to their website. 

It is not easy to get a ride back and whilst not impossible  I personally wouldn’t risk it on a cruise ship day without arranging in advance and being confident that the taxi would return. For 9 people it would be $60-70 each way. If you don’t want/need a private driver booked in advance it would be better to take a taxi from the port and negotiate a rate for him to stay with you, usually around $200 for 4 hours.

taxis are cash only.

For a 6-8 passenger van taxi to a particular spot on the east side--Rastas, Coconuts, Chen Rio, Punta Moreno, Mescalitos, etc.--fares are $60 each way, per taxi.  For a full island tour, $200 per taxi.

I'd guess you could squeeze a 9th person into a van taxi, if you don't mind being crowded for the ride.  A separate taxi for up to 4 is $30 each way or $100 RT. (So there's your $300).  But would be more comfortable splitting the group 6 and 3. 

2 hours ago, crewsweeper said:

For a 6-8 passenger van taxi to a particular spot on the east side--Rastas, Coconuts, Chen Rio, Punta Moreno, Mescalitos, etc.--fares are $60 each way, per taxi.  For a full island tour, $200 per taxi.

I'd guess you could squeeze a 9th person into a van taxi, if you don't mind being crowded for the ride.  A separate taxi for up to 4 is $30 each way or $100 RT. (So there's your $300).  But would be more comfortable splitting the group 6 and 3. 

Good catch crew, YES, the regular taxi prices posted on the boards at port are for 6 - 8 people. They may have bigger vans but there maybe an additional person charge.

ToursPlaza small van says up to 9 and they have another one for up to 10. I think it would depend on whether you are all adults, or have some children in the group as to how comfortable you would be.  If you are all adults and splitting the cost, price is not unreasonable compared to ship tours. The peace of mind would be worth it to me on a cruise ship day, to know that I have a ride back. If I was on a land vacation I might be more flexible but cell phone service can be spotty on the east side.

Hi,

Our group of 7 adults last February rented our own air conditioned van. I don't recall the price , sorry, but we all felt more comfy doing the island on our own!  And I don't recall any of us being overwhelmed by the rental cost.  We went up the street some to a car rental agency, didn't go to the rentals at the Carnival Port Shop area. Though prices there might be fine. IDK.

At the Chen Rios palapa restaurant (on the Other/Eastern Side of the island) we definitely could swim in the water.  However, driving on the Main "HWY" --- 2-lane nicely paved road, that beautiful  eastern ocean is  usually too whipped up to swim safely.

🌸🌸 Bobbi

We've rented a car several times at Puerta Maya pier-I think it's Avis. Never had any problem. We just took all the insurance they offered and a 4 passenger car with AC was less than $90. My daughter and I did this last time by ourselves and enjoyed it very much. The east side of the island is gorgeous.