Tonic Water

33 minutes ago, bwfctrotter said:

Hi

We have never cruised with Royal Caribbean before does anyone know whether diet/zero/low calorie tonic water is available on board. This has not been available when we have cruised with both Celebrity and Princess

Chris

Not on Symphony, we asked.  Wife gave up her gin and tonics and went with straight up gin Martini. She even gave up on Cosmo's because she is on as close to 0 carbs as possible.

Yes they do, its called Slimline Tonic and some ships have it just after they get back form Europe and most have it when in Europe. Once they run out its gone....until they return to Europe...

Its very good and after a long cruise you really notice the differance. Tastes better too.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, robandana said:

Yes they do, its called Slimline Tonic and some ships have it just after they get back form Europe and most have it when in Europe. Once they run out its gone....until they return to Europe...

Its very good and after a long cruise you really notice the differance. Tastes better too.

what do they use to sweeten it? I am curious enough to try it, but I am very sensitive to the taste of most artificial sweeteners and can't stomach the stuff. 

1 minute ago, ibonexheadi said:

what do they use to sweeten it? I am curious enough to try it, but I am very sensitive to the taste of most artificial sweeteners and can't stomach the stuff. 

I think it was aspartame....or something like that.

For the most part. the answer is NO. They do not have "Diet Tonic Water". They do have Sprite Zero (cans) as well as diet coke.

I know this as I am a diabetic and I like to drink Gin & tonic. So, when I sail on an RCCL ship I just drink Gin & Sprite Zero...

10 hours ago, robandana said:

There are other diet tonics other than slimline. We can't get slimline here and choose Seagrams or even the meijer brand. It's my drink of choice also.

11 hours ago, robandana said:

Thank you for this info.  Our next cruise is a 12 day Baltic and after 12 days of G&Ts... that would be way too much sugar.  I'll order Diet of they have it.  I use it all the time at home.

dp

15 hours ago, ibonexheadi said:

We buy ours at Walmart.  64 cents for the large bottle of their brand, sweetened with aspartame and still bitter, no sweet taste at all. 

• Like 1

I expect club soda may be slightly more bubbly but in my head their only difference has been one was sweet and one wasn't - could you ask for club soda and then use a sweetener of choice to sweeten to your liking?  If the ship doesn't have your preferred sweetener that may be easier to pack and have on hand if needed.

• 3 months later...
On 2/28/2019 at 12:03 PM, taglovestocruise said:

We buy ours at Walmart.  64 cents for the large bottle of their brand, sweetened with aspartame and still bitter, no sweet taste at all. 

On 2/28/2019 at 1:59 PM, The Fun Researcher said:

Never realized that tonic water had so many calories.  Vodka is my primary liquor of choice and I've recently been ordering Vodka tonic's. Not anymore.

Vodka soda's (club soda) for me now. 

Dan

Some brands use saccharine (Safeway, Vons, I think Canada Dry.) Soda Stream uses Splenda. I pay attention because I cannot have Aspartame. 

8 hours ago, whoopie said:

Some brands use saccharine (Safeway, Vons, I think Canada Dry.) Soda Stream uses Splenda. I pay attention because I cannot have Aspartame. 

Thanks for the info.  We just started using a Sodastream this spring and have been mostly using Stur water enhancers as they use Stevia as a sweetener.  I never even thought of looking for a Tonic water concentrate. That and also Ginger Ale.

dp

I used to order my diet tonic delivered to the ship from a local bottler.  As this became more bothersome, I've brought a cruise length  2lt bottles from Kroger as my second checked bag on Southwest.  I need to investigate soda stream diet tonic mix.  Thanks!