NY Wine Shop Near Port (Manhattan)

bigmjh

I saw this too late, not that I could have helped.  I don't know of ANY wine shops by the port ... mostly east side.  They probably would deliver to the ship, but ...

I bring my own when I'm boarding in NYC!

NYC does have a few wine shops ...

Mura

How does one have wine "delivered to the ship"?

Among other things, how is one sure it is handled without breakage, and also that it actually gets to you on board?

We had no luck arranging delivery to our hotel in Miami.

(We instead took a taxi en route to the ship - actually, "out of the way" - and stopped to pick up the wine.)

Thanks!

GC

6 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

How does one have wine "delivered to the ship"?

Among other things, how is one sure it is handled without breakage, and also that it actually gets to you on board?

We had no luck arranging delivery to our hotel in Miami.

(We instead took a taxi en route to the ship - actually, "out of the way" - and stopped to pick up the wine.)

Thanks!

GC

#1 Use a reputable dealer  (Don't try this with Wine IS US)

#2 Ensure that said dealer has delivered to the Cruise port successfully before, and that they self-employ a full time delivery driver who drives a truck with appropriate signage.  This sometimes involves asking awkward questions, but is an essential step

#3 Bring to the Dealer large pre-printed labels, on which you have printed the  address of the Cruise Port, the Ship Name, the Sailing Date of the Cruise, Your Name and your Cabin #. Ensure that these are attached to each item being delivered.

#4 Remember to leave the driver a gratuity.

In our experience, it is best to leave the packing materials in the hands of the professionals, as the delivery people are often asked at Security if they have packed the case themselves.  In any case liquor delivered this way is virtually hand carried the entire way.    😇🍸  Cheers!

Edited by StanandJim

2 hours ago, StanandJim said:

#1 Use a reputable dealer  (Don't try this with Wine IS US)

#2 Ensure that said dealer has delivered to the Cruise port successfully before, and that they self-employ a full time delivery driver who drives a truck with appropriate signage.  This sometimes involves asking awkward questions, but is an essential step

#3 Bring to the Dealer large pre-printed labels, on which you have printed the  address of the Cruise Port, the Ship Name, the Sailing Date of the Cruise, Your Name and your Cabin #. Ensure that these are attached to each item being delivered.

#4 Remember to leave the driver a gratuity.

In our experience, it is best to leave the packing materials in the hands of the professionals, as the delivery people are often asked at Security if they have packed the case themselves.  In any case liquor delivered this way is virtually hand carried the entire way.    😇🍸  Cheers!

I know that years ago it was possible to have wine delivered to the ship and I even recall wine purveyors that advertised that service, but I wonder if in today's security environment it's even possible. Trucks are checked before they're even allowed in the secured area of the port where deliveries are made, and if a delivery truck is not on the list of expected vehicles I wonder if they would even be allowed in to make a delivery.  

Have you actually had wine delivered to a ship recently?

We send gifts of flowers and or liquor to Oceania ships, both in Miami and in New York  quite regularly.

Most recently in February of '19. 

My understanding is that experienced firms send a helper with the driver so that the van is never left unattended during the delivery process.  

Works for us, anyway.  

6 hours ago, StanandJim said:

We send gifts of flowers and or liquor to Oceania ships, both in Miami and in New York  quite regularly.

My understanding is that experienced firms send a helper with the driver so that the van is never left unattended during the delivery process.  

Works for us, anyway.  

I realize I didn't specify this but I was I was asking about a substantial delivery, say a case of wine, not a bottle or a floral arrangement. Under MARSEC requirements I'm not sure that a vehicle not previously authorized would be allowed into the secure areas of ports.

11 hours ago, StanandJim said:

I would trust StanandJim.  

On 3/1/2019 at 2:59 PM, StanandJim said:

Works for us, anyway.  

StanandJim----Who do you use to deliver wine to Oceania (Riveria) in Miami?  I appreciate you sharing this.

Problem solved ... since we live in SoCal's southern wine country. A few calls to local wineries and we find that they will ship cases to NY. So, we'll have them sent to our hotel and then we'll take them to the dock (via taxi or Uber). A solution that I hadn't considered that will work perfectly. Thanks for everyone's suggestions and comments.