Scuba shop recommendations needed please

Shattered__minds

Do you recommend diving at the following and if so with whom?

Ocho Rios (think i may not haven't heard good things about diving in Jamaica in general)

Grand Cayman (100% for sure on this one unless there are tender issues)

Roatan (100% for sure on this one) Used Coconut diving last time but conditions were Horrible.

Coz (on the fence have dove 2x already) Used H2O but looking for other op this time.

Also anyone know how the private islands work when trying to set up outside dive's? We stop at Great stirrup Cay and Harvest Cay. I am thinking those 2 may be a wash if i cant get a private vendor.

TIA 🙂

Ocho Rios (think i may not haven't heard good things about diving in Jamaica in general)

unless there's been a recent change, Ocho and JA in general are not much in the way of dive destinations .... I have ben diving in Ocho and MB when on R&R and looking for things to do to kill time but the dives were just so-so .... decent enuf coral but minimal fish life

tendering DOES toss a curveball into Cayman diving as most morning boats leave b4 you can get ashore unless you use the cruise excursion.  There ARE decent shore dives to be had however. The house reef at Sunset House is a personal fav' and Eden Rock is a short walk from the tender landings. Search either of these names or Google them and you'll find plenty of comments reports etc.  For both there is a dive shop right there for rentals and the navigation could not be easier so guides are not required but can be arranged for $.  Both sites can be visited for the price of what gear you need to rent .... no reservation required.  Show up, rent a tank, gear up, jump in.

Roatan.....  I give Anthony's key resort high marks.  They are the dive op for the cruise ships.  Really pleased with them.  

Cozumel ...tough one, due to arrival times not matching up with boats leaving to head down south to the reefs.  Most ships arrive after the time needed.  Unless you have a group of at least 4 people booking together, its hard to reserve a boat.  You can contact a few dive ops and see if they are holding a boat for cruisers.  Good luck.  Otherwise you have to use the cruise ship contract op.  

12 hours ago, Shattered__minds said:

Do you recommend diving at the following and if so with whom?

Roatan (100% for sure on this one) Used Coconut diving last time but conditions were Horrible.

Coz (on the fence have dove 2x already) Used H2O but looking for other op this time.

Also anyone know how the private islands work when trying to set up outside dive's? We stop at Great stirrup Cay and Harvest Cay. I am thinking those 2 may be a wash if i cant get a private vendor.

TIA 🙂

For Jamaica, I've dove there and it wasn't bad, but more hassle than it's really worth. 

Grand Cayman: I'd highly recommend Off The Wall Divers.  They provide pier pick-up and return, they're  close to the tender pier, and are just generally great people.  Tom Shropshire there will take good care of you, and they are very flexible if tendering times change due to weather or what-not.  (https://offthewalldiverscayman.com/ )

Roatan: I like Subway Divers.  Smaller groups and better pricing than Anthony's Key, and they provide port pick up and return.  (https://www.subwaywatersports.com/ )

Cozumel: My favorite operator there no longer works with cruise passengers unless you've got a full group.  The only thing I'd say is don't book Coz dives through the ship, you get much better dives, at a lower price, when you book independently, and there are loads of good operators there. 

I don't think you'll ever be able to arrange for a non-ship excursion at any of the private islands. 

Harris

Denver, CO

Thanks all!!

I have only booked a dive through the ship once due to time restrictions in Bonaire. There were 20 of us on one boat and 2 DM's/ needless to say i didn't even get on the boat. Plus so much better one on one service through a private op. They "get to know you" in the first 10 minutes for your safety and theirs so i will always go the indi route or not at all.

I will look into all the recommendations you have provided. Again thank you all!

feeding.jpg

We used Deep Blue Divers at Grand Cayman for a 2 tank dive back in Jan 2016 during our Celebrity Eclipse cruise and were pretty happy with them.  The dive shop is 0.3 miles away from the dock where our tender dropped us off.

Edited by mahdnc

• 2 weeks later...

Grand Cayman - Lobster Pot Dive Center ( www.lobsterpotdivecenter.com ) - Go from their owned dock about 300 yards north of the cruise ship dock. Lobster Pot developed a good reputation for cruise shippers - boat leaves at 9am (or later if cruise schedules dictate) which gives them a run at the best deep dives on the west and south west since most other operators have gone from their first dives by that time. Ten minutes to the dive sites in their fast boat -  never more than six divers on board, with two or three instructors. 

Headed up by Mike, an Englishman with a great sense of humour and  highly professional too. His team reflect his personality and professionalism. They know the sites like the backs of their hands - and you can't get more relaxed diving.

They have the cruise ship schedules at hand and can always tailor something to suit. Not the overpriced cattle boat trips you get with the Cruise Line organised excursions.

Suggest you look at their Trip Advisor reviews they have become the number one stop for cruise shippers who want proper diving.