Discounts for guests in Pinnacle Grill

PSR

I tried to search for this topic, but I think my question was too intricate! We are joining 3 new HAL cruisers on a trip to AK in Aug/Sept 2019. We are 4-star cruisers. One of the other cruisers wants to try the Pinnacle Grill for a birthday dinner with all 5 of us. I assume we would each pay for our own dinners. Question 1 is: If I book it for 5 people, will I get the discounted price for all, and 2) if so, is it "ethical" to have them pay me back at the discounted prices if I am not actually treating them to the dinners? I know we don't see the discount until we board, and also that we have to pay the full price when the rez is booked.

Also, if we book for 2 and the 2nd group books for 3 separately, will we be put together if our cruise reservations are linked (this I doubt, but one of the other party was told by HAL phone call that we would).

Thanks for any help.

More experienced Pinnacle diners can offer better advice but here is what happened to me when we invited friends to be our guests.   The host insisted everyone give their cabin numbers even though I told them I was paying for everyone (last cruise when I wasn't yet 4 star).  The other couple was charged on their onboard account.  This was very embarrassing as they had to go have this removed before we disembarked the next day.

My opinion only on the other issue:  If you are paying, everyone should get the discount.  If you are being reimbursed, each should pay their own rate.  I don't know if this is how it would work....just my opinion on that part of it.

Edited by HokiePoq

We have booked a PG dinner and a Tamarind dinner for 4 people on the Eurodam.  We booked it online, and paid the full price.  We are 4-star and our friends are 2-star.   We will get the 50% discount credited back to our cabin account after completing the meal.  When I did this before, the reservation was in my name, and the PG didn't really care who was eating the dinner, all they cared about was who paid for it.   Because I paid, I received the 50% 4-star discount on my cabin account for all 4 people.   My 2 friends privately paid me for the dinners, at the discounted rate.

2 hours ago, HokiePoq said:

More experienced Pinnacle diners can offer better advice but here is what happened to me when we invited friends to be our guests.   The host insisted everyone give their cabin numbers even though I told them I was paying for everyone (last cruise when I wasn't yet 4 star).  The other couple was charged on their onboard account.  This was very embarrassing as they had to go have this removed before we disembarked the next day.

My opinion only on the other issue:  If you are paying, everyone should get the discount.  If you are being reimbursed, each should pay their own rate.  I don't know if this is how it would work....just my opinion on that part of it.

2 hours ago, TAD2005 said:

We booked it online, and paid the full price.  We are 4-star and our friends are 2-star.   We will get the 50% discount credited back to our cabin account after completing the meal.  When I did this before, the reservation was in my name, and the PG didn't really care who was eating the dinner, all they cared about was who paid for it. 

Thank you both. Looks like different responses to the different experiences, although it appears the best way is to book before, online, so the non-star diners don't get charged to their accounts.

Appreciate the input.:classic_smile:

For the last couple of years I have booked up to 12 people for a Pinnacle Grill Dinner. In each case I paid in full in advance and was reimbursed my Mariner Discount upon boarding. In some cases I was repaid at the discounted rate, in others I paid. On one cruise the Manager asked for room numbers and billed each. When I went back and let them know that was why I had so many prepaid, they refunded the others and used my prepayments. Most of the time no cabin numbers were asked for or given.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, richwmn said:

On one cruise the Manager asked for room numbers and billed each. When I went back and let them know that was why I had so many prepaid, they refunded the others and used my prepayments. Most of the time no cabin numbers were asked for or given.

Again, it sounds like the treatment of guest payments varies, depending on the Manager. If asked for cabin number, perhaps the Manager should be directed to the paying diner for clarification. Seems confusing...:classic_huh:

13 hours ago, PSR said:

Also, if we book for 2 and the 2nd group books for 3 separately, will we be put together if our cruise reservations are linked (this I doubt, but one of the other party was told by HAL phone call that we would).

We have done this and we just stop by the Pinnacle on the first day and ask that we be put at the same table.  It has never been a problem.

We've had it both ways after pre-paying for four people. Usually we got the discount for all, but once they insisted that we could not get the discount for our guests. They said could refund the full pre-payment and charge each cabin separately at different rates, or just get no discount at all. We chose the latter.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, dfish said:

We have done this and we just stop by the Pinnacle on the first day and ask that we be put at the same table.  It has never been a problem.

This sounds like a good solution...Thanks!

5 hours ago, paul8 said:

On the Atlantic Adventure in '16 I took a couple to dinner in the pinnacle but said in advance that I was paying the bill. Perhaps my 5 star helped.

Maybe...the one thing I've noticed with all the comments is that the process is inconsistent from ship to ship.

40 minutes ago, PSR said:

Maybe...the one thing I've noticed with all the comments is that the process is inconsistent from ship to ship.

All too true on HAL nowadays!  They REALLY do need to work on being more consistent from ship to ship.

Two months ago on the Amsterdam I made reservations for 4 at the Pinnacle under my name and had them bill me.  No problem and got my 50% discount for all 4.

We've always gotten the discount for our "guests" (also known as our adult children) but always pre-purchase the dinners on-line with the reservation for 4 in one name, our reservations are linked for dining, and the daughters have never been asked for their room key.

52 minutes ago, oceanmom said:

We've always gotten the discount for our "guests" (also known as our adult children) but always pre-purchase the dinners on-line with the reservation for 4 in one name, our reservations are linked for dining, and the daughters have never been asked for their room key.

I’m not sure if that is the difference or not, but I precook too.

In our case I did it because tables of 6 are very limited on this ship and we need them for our group.  When each tried to book, it didn’t work so I called and they pulled it together under my name.  Everyone but one is a 5 or 4* Mariner.

In the past, if I have pre-booked, I have always been credited for the dinners.  Sel de Mer was a different story.  But, PG has never been an issue.