Sirena or insignia

bobolz

Has anyone experienced both of these ships recently? I would be interested in seeing pictures from the most recent refurbishment of the Insignia especially the B1 veranda level rooms. I assume the rooms would be the same on Sirenia which is due for its upgrade soon. Do the showers have curtains or glass doors? . I’m trying to decide between the 2 ships for their Cuba itinerary. I think specialty restaurants are different, with Sirena having the Asian grill and the Tuscan grill and toscana combo which I think I would prefer. How about the overall maintenance/condition of the ships ? I thought I read of significant engine noise on level 7 on Insignia , which surprised me. How about plumbing issues? On our last few cruises on Marina, it  seemed like every few days toilets in certain areas would not flush and  would require the maintenance crew to  repair  by  executing a power flush of the system .wasnt a real issue, but concerned me that it seemed to happen more than once. 

Anyone do the Cuba itinerary on board these ships? 

Thanks for any responses 

There  are a couple of threads here with photos of Insignia  after the refurb

here is one

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2621045-“live-from”-2019-oceania-insignia-world-cruise-jan-11-july-11/?page=4

I believe  the showers  now have glass doors on Insignia

You are correct on the Specialties Sirena  has Red Ginger & Tuscan grill

the other R ships  have Toscana & polo

Sirena had a more sunstantial refurbishment recently when she was acquired from Princess because Princess significantly neglected the maintenance of the ship so the refurb was substantial, not just cosmetic, (more than just new fabrics, etc).

The difference in specialty restaurants is also an issue for many - some love it, others prefer the arrangement on other R ships.

Edited by Paulchili

Aren't they redoing the Sirena by this May?  That is at least what the Oceania web sit says.

Not sure what your itinerary is however I was on RCCL to Cuba and we had to do launches in Cienfuegos while the Insignia was small enough to dock.

For Cuba, I would carefully look at the itineraries.  

Also, with Cuba there seems to be an excess number of ships who have had to change their itinerary and miss a Cuba port.

47 minutes ago, LB_NJ said:

Aren't they redoing the Sirena by this May?  That is at least what the Oceania web sit says.

Yes she will be getting  the  "NEXT"  make over   to match Insignia  & others as their turn comes up

On 2/28/2019 at 5:25 PM, bobolz said:

Has anyone experienced both of these ships recently? I would be interested in seeing pictures from the most recent refurbishment of the Insignia especially the B1 veranda level rooms. I assume the rooms would be the same on Sirenia which is due for its upgrade soon. Do the showers have curtains or glass doors? . I’m trying to decide between the 2 ships for their Cuba itinerary. I think specialty restaurants are different, with Sirena having the Asian grill and the Tuscan grill and toscana combo which I think I would prefer. How about the overall maintenance/condition of the ships ? I thought I read of significant engine noise on level 7 on Insignia , which surprised me. How about plumbing issues? On our last few cruises on Marina, it  seemed like every few days toilets in certain areas would not flush and  would require the maintenance crew to  repair  by  executing a power flush of the system .wasnt a real issue, but concerned me that it seemed to happen more than once. 

Anyone do the Cuba itinerary on board these ships? 

Thanks for any responses 

The showers have plastic doors. See https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2571714-oceania-next/?page=16 and for the PH suite https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2571714-oceania-next/?page=19.

For the Insignia Cuba cruise we were there were a couple of Cuba buffet nights which were excellent. 

Re: decision on the 2 ships Cuba itinerary.  If your schedule allows IMHO you will get a much better Cuban experience with sailings which includes overnight stays.  See my post here: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2639057-cruise-lines-to-cuba/ for a good one in March 2020 on the Sirena.  Also for the best Cuban experience it is better to take private tours vs. the cruise's excursions that are conducted by state owned tour guides!  There are lots of good posts in the Cuba board if you haven't visited it already.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/765-cuba/

For Insignia I like this one:

Itinerary  = Anchor Port

DAY PORT ARRIVE DEPART
Dec 18 Wed Miami, Florida, United States Embark 1 PM 5 PM
Dec 19 Thu Havana, Cuba 8 AM  
Dec 20 Fri Havana, Cuba   11 PM
Dec 21 Sat Cruising the Caribbean Sea    
Dec 22 Sun Cienfuegos, Cuba 7 AM  
Dec 23 Mon Cienfuegos, Cuba   2 PM
Dec 24 Tue Santiago de Cuba, Cuba 10 AM  
Dec 25 Wed Santiago de Cuba, Cuba   5 PM
Dec 26 Thu Cruising the Atlantic Ocean    
Dec 27 Fri Nassau, Bahamas 8 AM 5 PM
Dec 28 Sat Miami, Florida, United States Disembark 8 AM

Laurence

Edited by ebslcc

Thanks Laurence and all the other responses. 

So you can arrange your own tours in Cuba? I was reading about the visa/affidavit that had to be completed  a certain way  to allow you to go off on your own, but wasn’t sure if I understood it correctly. Good to know.

we booked the insignia cruise right after the one you recommended. It’s very similar  itinerary and includes the overnight stays in Cuba .  

LB_NJ not sure if you have more info on missed Cuban ports and how often they are missed and reasons why? 

Thanks again 

I would absolutely recommend an overnight, especially in Havana.

Not sure about the other 2 cities however, Havana has a number of evening entertainment options you would not be able to try without an overnight.  Plus there is enough to see that I would want at least a day and a half.  

It just seems that I have seen more posts on the boards about missed or delayed stops in Cuba then other ports.  It might just be anecdotal.

However, cruising to Cuba is relatively new and they are just not set up for it yet.  I think they are working on it however it is not there yet.  Obama  basically opened Cuba to US tourists and Trump tightened it up a little.

The terminal at Cienfuegos is basically a Quonset hut on a small pier.  It is in a small industrial area if I remember correctly.  So one ship can dock (if it is small enough) and another ship in port the same day has to tender.

If I remember correctly in Havana only 2 ships can dock at one time (and NO mega ships allowed, maybe 2000 PAX at most per ship).  The other cruise docks are in need of significant repair.  The really nice thing about Havana is the dock is right across the street from the old city of Havana which is really nice to walk through even if it is full of tourists.

Given this, things don't always run smoothly, ships may not leave on time so the next ship can't get in, etc.

FYI, we sailed into Havana just before Sunrise.  If your ship does that, and you don't mind being up that early I would go out on deck and watch.

As to private tours.  There are a lot of posts about that on the port specific part of cruise critic.  The cruise ships also have info on their website.

Basically the United States (it is not a Cuban or cruise ship requirement) has restrictions on travel to Cuba.  You need to meet one of the US's exceptions to the travel ban in order to travel to Cuba.  If you don't meet one of the exceptions you are in violation of the US law.  Most of the cruise lines certify that their tours qualify for one of the exceptions which makes things easier.  I believe that the cruise ships don't insist that you go on their tours however the general response from them is if you don't  that you are on your own.  

I tried to read the US law and I thought it was as clear as mud.

When I was on Empress I used the RCCL tours just because it was easier.  Others went on their own (eg in Havana rented an old convertible for the day with a guide) and had a great time.

4 hours ago, bobolz said:

Thanks Laurence and all the other responses. 

So you can arrange your own tours in Cuba? I was reading about the visa/affidavit that had to be completed  a certain way  to allow you to go off on your own, but wasn’t sure if I understood it correctly. Good to know.

we booked the insignia cruise right after the one you recommended. It’s very similar  itinerary and includes the overnight stays in Cuba .  

LB_NJ not sure if you have more info on missed Cuban ports and how often they are missed and reasons why? 

Thanks again 

We were on a Sirena Cuba cruise in January, and had no problem with our independent excursions in all of the Cuban ports.  All we had to do was to complete the affidavit sent to us by Oceania affirming that we were only engaged in OFAC compliant activities.  https://www.oceaniacruises.com/Regional Content/Documents/Legal/81604468313/OFAC-Certification-Form.pdf

The whole process was easy, and we were never questioned.  Don't worry about taking independent excursions in Cuba. 

Edited by ruthnlarry