upgrades and travel insurance

bjtravelnews

Been reading the very long threads about upgrade offers and my head is now spinning!  Never tried to upgrade before, but think I will take a chance.  Currently in the mid-ship balcony and would love to try for a spa balcony or higher if possible.  A question came to mind about travel insurance.  My trip is covered by a different supplier of travel insurance (not NCL).  The cost of the travel insurance us based on the original cost of the booking.  If I bid on an upgrade and get it, and then I have an sudden emergency and can't make the trip, or something happens to cut the trip short, is that money used to book the upgrade lost (because it's not the original booking).  How do others handle this?  Do I need to call the insurance company and get an adjusted policy?

28 minutes ago, bjtravelnews said:

Been reading the very long threads about upgrade offers and my head is now spinning!  Never tried to upgrade before, but think I will take a chance.  Currently in the mid-ship balcony and would love to try for a spa balcony or higher if possible.  A question came to mind about travel insurance.  My trip is covered by a different supplier of travel insurance (not NCL).  The cost of the travel insurance us based on the original cost of the booking.  If I bid on an upgrade and get it, and then I have an sudden emergency and can't make the trip, or something happens to cut the trip short, is that money used to book the upgrade lost (because it's not the original booking).  How do others handle this?  Do I need to call the insurance company and get an adjusted policy?

You always need to check the terms of your specific policy, as not all policies are the same.

So call them and ask... it's simple.

The type of coverage we have (through Travel Insured) would require us to increase coverage if we added non-refundable costs that exceeded the limit of the current band of our policy (e.g., $6k pp for the trip; we'd need to bump it to the next interval).

You might also want to browse (or ask questions) on the travel insurance section of CC, especially if it isn't NCL specificy:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/499-cruisetravel-insurance/

GC

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bjtravelnews said:

Do I need to call the insurance company and get an adjusted policy?

Call that insurance company agent - read the T & C of the coverage - If you successfully upgrade to that Spa Balcony

and you were only insured for an Inside Cabin failure to disclose the upgrade may void out any insurance or may

limit the amount of insurance shorting full coverage on that Spa Balcony. Get the information in writing and pay the

correct amount. Hope you are dealing with a reputable company/agent and not some P.O. Box entity !

Even more importantly that EMERGENCY coverage !

• Like 1

I book my travel insurance outside of NCL.  I always just call and tell them that I upgraded and give them the new pirce for the cruise and they adjust it on the documents. And then I pay the new fee ( or difference I owe)  if there  is one. SO best to always call the insurance company that you went with or agent.