Trip insurance in case we cancel for a death/illness of a non-traveler

Justicedog

What kind of Insurance/Is there such an insurance that would cover missing a trip because of the death or serious illness of a parent/grandparent who is not on the trip?

In January, we'd booked a trip for August, put a down payment down for my husband, me, and my two kids.  My husband's mother is going into a nursing home today, we are now wondering if we should just cancel the cruise and lose the $400 deposit or is there some sort of trip insurance that would cover us cancelling the trip if something should happen to her (or another of our parents).

2 hours ago, Justicedog said:

What kind of Insurance/Is there such an insurance that would cover missing a trip because of the death or serious illness of a parent/grandparent who is not on the trip?

In January, we'd booked a trip for August, put a down payment down for my husband, me, and my two kids.  My husband's mother is going into a nursing home today, we are now wondering if we should just cancel the cruise and lose the $400 deposit or is there some sort of trip insurance that would cover us cancelling the trip if something should happen to her (or another of our parents).

I suggest calling www.TripInsuranceStore.com 

Call, don't just read the short online summaries.

Explain all the details of timing (that will matter!) and they'll help you find a policy that fits your needs (hopefully!).

We've had great experience with them, including prompt payment of claims from policies we've purchased through them, and that's what counts...

GC

• Like 1

Our only cancelled cruise was due to our grown son being seriously injured in a motorcycle injury.  We had no trouble being reimbursed by our insurance we bought at insuremytrip.com and son did recover.

On 3/1/2019 at 11:17 AM, Justicedog said:

Many policies cover the death of a non-traveling family member.  Fewer fully cover any illness of the same family member, and most require a medical need for your presence to care for the family member as the only insurable event.  Some have pre-existing condition exclusions for the family member, some do not.

The safest way to go in this situation is with an Any Reason Cancelation policy, but most of those do not pay 100% of your costs or they pay off in cruise credit rather than cash.  As noted above, discuss what is available in third party policies with an insurance broker, and compare that coverage to what is available in your cruise line policy and pick the one that seems to fit you best.  

FWIW, with an elderly father for the last several years we went with the cruise line policy with 100% Any Reason cruise credit.  But we knew we could use the credit within the time limit, there was no immediate illness or health issue for Dad other than being 85+ years old, and we had other health insurance for ourselves in case we had our own medical issue onboard.  Your needs could be quite different.

On 3/1/2019 at 2:21 PM, GeezerCouple said:

I suggest calling www.TripInsuranceStore.com 

Call, don't just read the short online summaries.

Explain all the details of timing (that will matter!) and they'll help you find a policy that fits your needs (hopefully!).

We've had great experience with them, including prompt payment of claims from policies we've purchased through them, and that's what counts...

GC

Sounds to me like this may fall into the "pre-existing condition" quagmire. GeezerCouple is spot on. WAY too complicated a subject to flesh out on a discussion board. Call Steve at the TripInsuranceStore.com. He will discuss the precise nature of your need and provide you with spot on advice. 

Finding Steve (and company) is one of the single best things I've done. Ever. 

Call. Don't attempt to read all the "fine print". He is very responsive and helpful.