July or September - Which is best for a PG Cruise?

Hutchinj

OK, I'm sure this has been discussed "ad nauseum" in other topics but I can't find any definitive answer. Perhaps there aren't any. :)

Anyway, we are currently booked on the 4 July 2020 Tahiti & Society Islands 7-day cruise to celebrate our 50th anniversary which is actually in August (no cruises over our anniversary date, unfortunately). I understand that this would be peak season with more tourists but weather should generally be good with less rain. The Heiva festival going on that month would be an added bonus if we can see any of that pre or post cruise.

But lately I've heard that the water temps may be a bit chilly and since we intend to do a lot of snorkeling and other activities in the water I'm a bit concerned, especially since our home is in Florida and we've become a bit cold intolerant. 

I checked cabin availability and we could actually reserve our desired cabin for this same cruise on the Sep 12th sailing which I understand is the start of the "shoulder" season. Cruise and resort prices are about the same.

Since we have the flexibility to choose, which cruise would you experienced PG Cruisers opt for? Does the water temp really vary that much? Are the crowds noticeably less? Am I being too anal? :)

Thanks!

Not much difference in the water temps between the two; wouldn’t call it chilly but definitely the cooler time of the year I terms of water temps. We prefer to go when it’s a bit warmer but then rain is more likely. Trade offs! Saw a fantastic Heiva celebration in Bora bora one year. Also either month good for spotting whales which come up from Antarctica to calve. Have a great trip!

We have been in mid/late July and in early/mid September and would travel during either time period again. We didn't notice any difference in water temps and neither of us found the water chilly (your opinion on this will depend on what you're used to swimming in). The weather was similar on both visits.  We also noticed no difference in crowds. I think you will be happy with either month!

We chose September over July the second time around solely because we wanted to see the whales. We were a few days too early on our July trip but during our September trip we saw them in Huahine, Bora Bora and Moorea.

Thanks to everyone for their input. Really appreciated. It looks like we are going to stick with our July cruise dates after all as we hope to catch some of the Heiva competitions before or after our PG cruise and the September offerings just didn't fit our schedule as well. Thanks!

• 1 month later...

If it is a first trip, Mid-July is the ultimate.... hands down.  We cruised July 15th and the entire cruise was in the Heiva festival and there were events at most islands.  Heiva really adds a lot to the experience and is a great cultural lesson on each island but it is also slightly busier during that time I would assume to any other time so weigh out the pros and cons with that.

• 2 weeks later...

Notion -- That's great to hear. We certainly hope to catch some of the Heiva while on Bora Bora since our stay on Tahiti will be limited to one night pre-cruise. How was your weather and the water temps during your visit?

I grew up near Orlando, and have spent many a day in both the Gulf as well as the Atlantic. You will not find the water in Tahiti to be in the mid to high 80's like Florida in the summertime, but it is quite comfortable. I have only been in Sept, and could stay in the water all day without feeling chilled at all.

Thanks, Randal. I'm hoping that with a rashguard shirt, we should be comfy most of the time in the water. Besides, we can always warm up with a nice Mai Tai or Pina Colada afterwards. :)