Le Harve Car Rental

sgmn

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, NCbmwmom said:

Is Uber available to get back to the ship from the Sixt office?

Using Uber in Le Havre (or anywhere in France) has its ups and downs so you always need to have a Plan B (usually calling a taxi).    The last time we were in Le Havre there was some Uber service but there is a lot of resistance to Uber in the country (especially from the taxi drivers) so it is impossible to predict the future.  We once tried to summon an Uber car to the train station (there was a long taxi queue and no taxis) but got a "no availability" response (we ended up walking back to the port).

Hank

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, NCbmwmom said:

We will be in Le Havre in September and I want to rent a car to get to Deauville. We are in port from 8 am to 7pm. Will this give us plenty of time in Deauville? 

Heavens yes,  In fact, after 1-2 hours you will likely be tired of Deauville, in which case you might want to drive over to Honfleur.  It is easy to visit both those places in a cruise day.  Personally we prefer having lunch in Honfleur (along the harbor) rather then Deauville since we find Honfleur a more "romantic" town.

Hank

On 10/16/2019 at 2:21 PM, NCbmwmom said:

We will be in Le Havre in September and I want to rent a car to get to Deauville. We are in port from 8 am to 7pm. Will this give us plenty of time in Deauville? 

Yes, no worries :classic_smile:

But we prefer the fishing harbour & independent bars & restaurants of Trouville, across the bridge from Deauville.

And I concur with the suggestion of Honfleur - best to go there on the way back, taking the coastal lane through Villerville. This is "proper" Normandy -  hamlets of timber-framed houses & glances across the bay to your ship. 

https://goo.gl/maps/nRDkPHjvaqTu2VKB6

JB :classic_smile:

On 10/17/2019 at 8:01 AM, Hlitner said:

Heavens yes,  In fact, after 1-2 hours you will likely be tired of Deauville, in which case you might want to drive over to Honfleur.  It is easy to visit both those places in a cruise day.  Personally we prefer having lunch in Honfleur (along the harbor) rather then Deauville since we find Honfleur a more "romantic" town.

Hank

Awesome! Really all I want in Deauville is to go to Louie Vuitton. Thanks so much for the help! 

43 minutes ago, NCbmwmom said:

Awesome! Really all I want in Deauville is to go to Louie Vuitton. Thanks so much for the help! 

LOL.  I read to this our in-house "shopping expert" and her suggestion was to price-out stuff online (before you leave home) so you have a basis of comparison.  In recent years we sometimes have difficulty finding bargains in Europe, although the strong dollar should be helpful.  We are on our way to Italy and also plan to do some "comparison shopping"  :).  The other hassle is trying to get a refund of the 20% VAT tax.  Getting VAT refund forms validated has sometimes been frustrating because of long lines at airports and even finding a refund validation desk at ports.

Hank

• Like 1

Oh believe me, I know exactly what I want and how much it is in the states. 😊 the cheaper prices, and refund of the VAT is well worth the extra hassle.  All my previous LVs’ have been bought here, but there’s just something special about buying a LV in France even if it’s not Paris. 😂 which is where my next on will be bought. LMAO 

On 10/18/2019 at 9:57 AM, Hlitner said:

LOL.  I read to this our in-house "shopping expert" and her suggestion was to price-out stuff online (before you leave home) so you have a basis of comparison.  In recent years we sometimes have difficulty finding bargains

Second!

Often, the better way to find discounts on LV is to look at better thrift stores (or consignment) as there can be plenty of gently used items on offer. New items on sale in France, when prices are converted from € to $ work out to approximately the same. It was probably better when I was bringing in my big Chanel cosmetic hauls, the exchange rates were incredible and I was cleaning out the stores bringing things home for everyone. I'm pretty sure that wasn't because Chanel blush or lipstick was any less valuable in France than in the U.S.A. but at the time, the U.S. dollar was more valuable than the French Franc (wasn't even the euro!) and I and my friends had proper French cosmetics at about the cost of L'Oréal. 

And, as of just a few days ago LV just opened a new workshop in Texas where they are assembling bags made with materials (thread, leather, fittings) imported from Europe. So, it's going to be the same price as their products made and sold in France or elsewhere in the world. Luxury items like these generally do not need to place any of their products on sale, no matter where they are made. 

I'd recommend locating a reputable, quality, thrift/consignment store and look for quality LV (or Chanel?) second hand bags. You could be very pleasantly surprised with quality and....price. 🙂 I have a friend who purchases these sort of items at an amazing thrift store in Naples, Fl, and I've seen amazing Chanel and other luxurious bags on offer at high end collectible fairs in western New Jersey, near Pennsylvania. 

What I would look for would be lesser known French designers who might be on the cusp of making a name for themselves, who may be selling bags at the end of season at closeout at Galeries Lafayette or Printemps or a small designer's boutique. Be a trailblazer! Lately, the trend has been to move away from the obvious brands and move into next generation designs which offer collectors an opportunity to display a unique, distinctive and eye-catching style that people will wonder: what bag is that? At this point now, I'd be thrilled to have an unknown quality bag that is eye-catching but unknown, that I got on a trip, and fun to explain to people, because it's different.

Then, once back, start to save for and then locate the gently used LV or Chanel (even more pricey) bag sold by special vendors at particular fairs, antiques and collectibles etc. 

Let us know how it worked out when you returned, and if you purchased anything! Have fun 🙂

Thank you for the recommendations! I’ll definitely be on the lookout for some cool new designers while over there for sure! I have a few bags and accessories bought in the states, Las Vegas, New York etc, but there’s just something about one bought in France. It’s more that, than the actual monetary savings. 😂 I’ve been holding off buying the exact one I want until I can get it there. May be weird to some, but dh collects cars, and I collect bags and shoes. 😂 but I appreciate all the input!