Sending Wife and Mother to Cuba on Sky!!!

Just booked last night for May, sending Wife and my Mother to Cuba!  Anyone have any suggestions, tips, etc for them?  My mother hasn't cruised in a ages, my wife and I sailed last year, and have a cruise booked on Breakaway in August!

Question that I have....I know my wife will accrue Latitudes points while on this cruise, but is there anything that she may be able to take advantage of for our cruise in August while on board?  Just thinking ahead and outside the box, but as long as they have fun, that's the main thing!

While in Cuba, she's booking a private tour through Blexie Tours (HIGHLY rated) for $130pp for 6 hours.  Anyone have any other ideas besides that for them to do?  Between the two of them, they don't speak a half of a word of Spanish, so need English...lol

On another note, they're going to Great Stirrup Cay, which looks great!  I see that the restaurants on the island are no charge, but what about the drink package?  They booked the free at sea drink promotion...

Great Thread Name. Especially the 3 !!! marks at the end. 

I opened the thread expecting .........

.... And can I arrange for the Cubans to keep them???

:classic_biggrin:

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

30 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

I was TRYING to be nice.....JUST in case the wife lurked the boards, didn't wanna get in trouble, but YES, was thinking that!! LMAO

They will not need to know Spanish, most speak English. There is a flea market within walking distance which is the best place for shopping. Also a cigar museum that is on the way (opposite side of the street) if you want to buy cigars. A Coco taxi is a good way to get there if you don't want to walk - they're easy to get on the main road.

You will not get any perks on a short cruise on NCL. We LOVED the Sky & will be going again at the end of this month.

6 hours ago, DirtyDawg said:

There you go...  Always thinking Happy Thoughts!!! (note the 3!)

I'm sure Johnny would have come up w/ a similar thought if I were going & I for him vice-versa...
Thanks for a Great Saturday Morning Laugh

🌞🌞🌞 

Edited by Von & John

13 hours ago, YankeesFan4Life said:

While in Cuba, she's booking a private tour through Blexie Tours (HIGHLY rated) for $130pp for 6 hours.  Anyone have any other ideas besides that for them to do?  Between the two of them, they don't speak a half of a word of Spanish, so need English...lol

We will be on SUN in May and have also booked Blexie Tours.  We also arranged through them to pick us up in the evening & bring us back from the Tropicana show that I am booking myself.

I am also going on the Sky mid May to Cuba/GSC,  but since its open bar, drinks/soda will be free on ship and island.  Did they book the actual package where tips are added?  Just curious,  we took the airfare perk as well.

7 hours ago, victory2020 said:

You will not get any perks on a short cruise on NCL. We LOVED the Sky & will be going again at the end of this month.

We are gold with Latitudes so does that mean we will not get the one bottle of water each?:classic_ohmy: This cruise cost just about as much or more than some 7 day cruises.  I'll be talking to someone about that.

3 hours ago, Lorey2007 said:

We are gold with Latitudes so does that mean we will not get the one bottle of water each?:classic_ohmy: This cruise cost just about as much or more than some 7 day cruises.  I'll be talking to someone about that.

no water unless its 5 or more days. Shore X's and gift shop discounts.   Probably tendering too.

14 hours ago, Lorey2007 said:

We will be on SUN in May and have also booked Blexie Tours.  We also arranged through them to pick us up in the evening & bring us back from the Tropicana show that I am booking myself.

I have Blexie booked as well, how do you provide the OFAC info if its a private tour? Sounds like we are doing the same (having them take us around during the day then Tropicana that evening) thanks

9 hours ago, cruisingfreaks said:

I have Blexie booked as well, how do you provide the OFAC info if its a private tour? Sounds like we are doing the same (having them take us around during the day then Tropicana that evening) thanks

NCL is obtaining my Visa so they provided me with a link to fill out the "Travel Affidavit".  I then selected "Support for people ".

I took my then DD20 at the time with me last April to Cuba aboard the Sky!  We had so much fun!  I booked us through a private tour guide named Roly for 3 hr walking tour and 3 hr driving tour in a convertible!  Only deviation we did from the tour was that we asked to be taken to a real Cuban restaurant to have a sit down meal outside!  Tour was great, guide spoke perfect English, city and people so nice and the country AMAZING!  Best trip to date on the Sky!  I have her booked for our 3rd time for my 50th in July but to Bahamas this time! 

7 hours ago, cruizinrican said:

I took my then DD20 at the time with me last April to Cuba aboard the Sky!  We had so much fun!  I booked us through a private tour guide named Roly for 3 hr walking tour and 3 hr driving tour in a convertible!  Only deviation we did from the tour was that we asked to be taken to a real Cuban restaurant to have a sit down meal outside!  Tour was great, guide spoke perfect English, city and people so nice and the country AMAZING!  Best trip to date on the Sky!  I have her booked for our 3rd time for my 50th in July but to Bahamas this time! 

Do you have any contact info for this guide?  That sounds great, and I'm sure they'd love that!  How much did you pay???? Blexie wants $130pp...

On 3/2/2019 at 6:13 AM, YankeesFan4Life said:

Just booked last night for May, sending Wife and my Mother to Cuba!  Anyone have any suggestions, tips, etc for them?  My mother hasn't cruised in a ages, my wife and I sailed last year, and have a cruise booked on Breakaway in August!

Question that I have....I know my wife will accrue Latitudes points while on this cruise, but is there anything that she may be able to take advantage of for our cruise in August while on board?  Just thinking ahead and outside the box, but as long as they have fun, that's the main thing!

On another note, they're going to Great Stirrup Cay, which looks great!  I see that the restaurants on the island are no charge, but what about the drink package?  They booked the free at sea drink promotion...

Drinks are included on GSC. There is an up charge at the Patron kiosk (or, there was last Year. 

Blexie was great!  We were so beat after our 6 hour tour, we couldn’t do any more!  But, booking your own evening at the Tropicana and having Blexie transport them there and back is a good idea! 

Hope they have a great trip! With Blexie, they should!

Been on this cruise in the past and we are repeating in late May. Sorry to see we don't get 2 full days in Havana as they used to in the past.

Regarding water; We bring sport thermos bottles and fill them at the buffet bar bev center instead of the bottled water purchase, which is the same water in a disposable bottle.

Have hired a private driver/car in the past at $120 CUC's all day and night. Split with another couple, that's $30 CUC's pp not including tip. Very reliable, honest and knowledgeable driver/guide who speaks fluent English and has Yahoo email to make all arrangements prior to arrival. New Cuban regs are restricting private car hires and we may not be able to use him again. Will opt for local taxis if he's not available.

For what it's worth, would highly recommend visiting Hemmingway's estate and the only true love of his life, his boat Pilar there.

2 hours ago, Kilroyshere said:

Been on this cruise in the past and we are repeating in late May. Sorry to see we don't get 2 full days in Havana as they used to in the past.

They'll be on the 5/20 sailing, and with another pair of friends so it'll be a ton of fun for them!  She did reach out to Blexie yesterday and said $130 for the day, plus he would take them back and forth from the Tropicana for only $50 total...