Spring TA "Weather" at Sea

SixOneTwo

Hello, I'd love to hear from people who have sailed on a springtime TA, Florida to the Mediterranean.  What kind of temperatures can I expect out on deck?  Is it pleasant to sit on a balcony, or is it windy and cooler given you're in the Atlantic?  Is the pool deck do-able? 

I do realize no one can guarantee weather.  Just looking for a general idea, so I know how to pack and if I should plan on outdoor lounging or indoor lounging. 

As you say, no one can tell you what the weather will be like, but you will be doing the southern route via the Canary Islands, so the weather should be pleasant. We stayed in Tenerife this January and we were in shorts every day. Most days the Temp was 22c, but some days it reached 25. It was cooler at night, so make sure you have clothes so you can dress in layers.

The attached photo was taken in the south of Tenerife on 10th January 2019.

65C40E6B-88B6-4C10-B21F-0931BB9FEE2F.jpeg

Edited by upwarduk

I did a TA in Spring 2016 and the weather was wonderful, not too hot but certainly warm enough to sit at the pool every day except one. On a TA in Spring 2018 the weather was not as warm and many days needed a sweater to sit outside, also in 2018 it was very windy most of the time. 

We did a FL to Dover TA on the Silhouette three years ago.  Most of the crossing was comfortably warm.  That is until we ran into a major storm system that basically closed off all access to the open decks.  The ship rode it out well, though - even the captain sounded pleased in his announcements.

We cruised from Miami to Rome on the Reflection in April 2016 and the weather was great.  Used our balcony every day, our one day in Barcelona started out rainy but other than that it was great the whole way with calm waters....

No guarantees of course, every crossing is different.

First of all, the ship travels about the same speed as a weather system, so if you depart under high pressure, GREAT!

if you depart in low pressure and rain you stay in it longer.

Secondly, the first part of the cruise you will see the staff handing out towels by the pool. In the second week they will be handing out blankets typically.

Pack for two climates!

We did TA on Silhouette in April 2018 from Florida to Southhampton and it was beautiful weather til shortly after leaving Bermuda then it cooled off quite a bit until close to Ponte de Gada.  Layers are your friend.  I took a hoodie and a light rain jacket and some under armour and used various combinations.  When we continued on the ship to the D-Day beaches and we needed everything we had.

Have done many Spring crossings, and as you said weather is no guarantee.  Do not take the impressions from a single crossing.  In the spring, Atlantic storms may be more a factor than simply temperature.  As far as sunning yourself, I would guesstimate that maybe 50% of the time on our crossings I would consider balcony weather.  Plan for the worst and then enjoy if it is much better.

• Like 1