Help for 2 ladies on an Alaskan Cruise

overeasy

I am on my husbands page. I am hoping there is someone out there who can help me. I just booked a cruise to Alaska this May, with a friend. We are traveling alone. Neither of us have been to Alaska.This cruise is in honor of her husband, who she lost 5 years ago. It was their dream to go after he retired. He passed within 6 months after retiring. So I want this to be special for her. She is on a walker, all the time and uses a wheelchair some times. I have no problems and can push her. She wants to go on the train in Skagway. I have looked at several excursions and can not find anyone who has been on a walker.  I believe that if she was in a wheelchair all the time this excursion is not possible. My question is how hard is the excursion where you ride the train, bus, and do the gold camp tour? She believes she will be able to climb into the bus. Is the step up into the train very high? The excursion is not listed as a wheelchair able one. The excursion we are looking at is listed as the Best of Skagway-Rail Summit, Trail Camp and Salmon Bake. I am willing to even hear of other excursions that you may think she may enjoy. She loves seeing and hearing about the history and sights she is at. I took her on a cab ride in the Bahamas, which she loved. Thank you all for the help.

If you are a bit adventuresome then let me offer you another option, Green Jeep. You can rent a jeep through them, follow the same path as the train and bus. Move at your own pace. You can actually go further up the road then you do on the train. You can still stop at a mining camp. Here's a few pictures from our trip. If you can get her in and out of a car you can stop and see great sights.

IMG_6877.JPG

IMG_6888.JPG

IMG_6948.JPG

IMG_6966.JPG

IMG_7007.JPG

• Like 1

There are three fairly steep steps to the train.  Sort of like boarding a coach bus.  If she can easily do one, she can do other.  But you will have to consider how and where to store the walker on the bus and train.  

Of more concern to me is her overall stamina for the 6.5 hours and ability to handle the time spent at the Liarsville (standing and doing gold panning) and getting between the bus/train and the events at the Saloon and gold panning.  Can she stand and use her walker for all those hours?  Would she instead be using a wheelchair?  This is not wheelchair friendly terrain, and involves a lot of time that is not just sitting down in one place.  It would also require you to fold and transport the chair and find a storage space for it on the train/bus.  

If her main goal is the train, then I suggest that you book the train excursion to the summit that IS designated wheelchair friendly.  You may accompany her on this tour.  Make sure your cruise booking is correctly designated as her using a chair, and do realize she must either bring her own chair or pre-arrange for chair rental on the ship from a third party provider..the ship does not loan out chairs for use onboard except in emergencies.

The train at Skagway is indeed wheel chair friendly and is very close to the ship.  We have never done the bus/lunch version--train only and I recommend it.   Also the Mt Roberts tram in Juneau is wheel chair accessible and quite easy to get to depending upon where the ship ties up.  It offers spectacular views.  Enjoy

• Like 1

Knowing that the world if full of good people, I would say go and enjoy.  there will be plenty of people who will assist you on the train/bus.  They put out a platform in front of the steps to the train to make the climb into the train easier for people.  After the train ride you will stop at the Welcome to Alaska sign.  You can choose to stay on the bus.  We did this tour in 2017.  The camp has a small incline but I would say it's walkable with a walker or wheelchair.  Once you get to the Red Onion Saloon they take you upstairs to show you the rooms.  You can choose to stay downstairs.  After that we walked around Skagway and then walked back to the ship.  I don't remember if there was an option to return to the ship instead of going into the Saloon.  I hope you go it will a great dedication to her late husband.

Just now, Anyislandwilldo said:

Knowing that the world if full of good people, I would say go and enjoy.  there will be plenty of people who will assist you on the train/bus.  They put out a platform in front of the steps to the train to make the climb into the train easier for people.  After the train ride you will stop at the Welcome to Alaska sign.  You can choose to stay on the bus.  We did this tour in 2017.  The camp has a small incline but I would say it's walkable with a walker or wheelchair.  Once you get to the Red Onion Saloon they take you upstairs to show you the rooms.  You can choose to stay downstairs.  After that we walked around Skagway and then walked back to the ship.  I don't remember if there was an option to return to the ship instead of going into the Saloon.  I hope you go it will a great dedication to her late husband.

It was a full day excursion.  This would be the walk back to the ship from downtown Skagway.  Your friend might be pretty tired by then.

20170511_143716.jpg

• Like 1

I think it is wonderful that you want to travel and assist your friend that has some mobility issues.  It does take some strength and endurance to push a wheelchair on these large ships, as well as in the many ports you plan to visit.  If you are traveling out of Seattle's Pier 91 (HAL, PCL, Celebrity, RCCL or Carnival) there is a kiosk on site were your friend could rent a scooter for her trip.  She could even arrange for it to be delivered to her cabin.  She could use the scooter in Alaska and Canada while visiting the ports.  Having a rented scooter might give her the mobility and independence she needs, and could save you from possible physical overexertion from pushing a wheelchair.  Here is information about rentals: Special Needs at Sea dot com

www.specialneedsatsea.com

I found this trip report and it made me think of your question.  The report is written by a woman who took her mother who uses a wheelchair/walker.  They took the train.  I think the report would probably provide lots of insight.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2412907-carnival-legend-made-mom-an-alaskan-legend/

Edited by Mediterranean_Honeymooner

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/3/2019 at 10:57 AM, overeasy said:

I am on my husbands page. I am hoping there is someone out there who can help me. I just booked a cruise to Alaska this May, with a friend. We are traveling alone. Neither of us have been to Alaska.This cruise is in honor of her husband, who she lost 5 years ago. It was their dream to go after he retired. He passed within 6 months after retiring. So I want this to be special for her. She is on a walker, all the time and uses a wheelchair some times. I have no problems and can push her. She wants to go on the train in Skagway. I have looked at several excursions and can not find anyone who has been on a walker.  I believe that if she was in a wheelchair all the time this excursion is not possible. My question is how hard is the excursion where you ride the train, bus, and do the gold camp tour? She believes she will be able to climb into the bus. Is the step up into the train very high? The excursion is not listed as a wheelchair able one. The excursion we are looking at is listed as the Best of Skagway-Rail Summit, Trail Camp and Salmon Bake. I am willing to even hear of other excursions that you may think she may enjoy. She loves seeing and hearing about the history and sights she is at. I took her on a cab ride in the Bahamas, which she loved. Thank you all for the help.

Have you looked at renting a car and making the drive in.  My wife uses a wheelchair and we are driving in and we can then stop at things she can do easily.  Murray's Guide to the South Klondike Highway has a great deal of useful information.