Voyager - internet quality

ikelmay

We are taking our first Regent cruise (transatlantic on Voyager) and would like to know opinions on the speed and quality of the internet connection.  We have recently taken Celebrity with a pretty solid connection, and Azamara with a horrible signal.

Your experienced opinions would be much appreciated!!

It depends on who you talk to, I guess.  I've had good and bad internet on Regent - surprisingly, the worst was on Explorer.  Best so far has been on Voyager...BUT...I can't speak for the satellite coverage on a TA.  I'd assume it would be acceptable, and Regent says they're working hard to improve their service, but if you depend on it to work while you're at sea, there's a chance you'll be disappointed.

Also, streaming services are blocked (unless you pay the extra for it) so don't plan on doing any Facetime or Youtube or anything.

5 hours ago, Jonoro7 said:

Very very variable, downloads have had from 3Mb/s to 500b/s (yes bits not even 1Kb)

Most sites drop out with very slow speeds.

Do not rely on it for anything important.

My experiences have been similar to Jonoro7. The speeds are poor. And the latency is also very poor, so lots of dropped page loads. It is ok for email, blogging and such, but videos or heavy graphic can be horrid. Upload speeds are only 25% as fast as download. 

Important to note. Do not be tempted to buy the upgraded internet package. It is no faster. The only thing it does in unblock demand video sites, like Netflicks, Prime, Hulu, etc. Normally access to these sites is blocked, But even unblocked the speeds are not increased at all over normal, so the idea of streaming content is useless.

J

• Thanks 1

Agree with Bill that the worst WiFi connectivity and speed has been during our cruises on Explorer.

Both Voyager and Mariner were better.

Mind you, today in Hong Kong we found the free WiFi on the public buses to be far superior to any internet service achieved on board a Regent ship 🤨 🤔

Hope that improvements are on the way 

Edited by flossie009