Norwegian Dawn question

mengel246

I was hoping someone could help me out with this.  We will be sailing on the dawn in April and I swear I thought I read somewhere that they do not have US outlets in the cabins.  Can someone confirm this for me so I can dig out our (what I'm assuming are European) converters?

Than you for all your help!

We "only" sailed the Dawn twice in earlier times, 2003 and 2005 and ship was destined for the US market and homeported in NY then - most definitely had at least one US 3-prong 110 volts outlet, we used it for sure.  It also has one Euro 2-pin rounded plug/outlet, marked for 220 volts - and, an inexpensive Amazon, Walmart or Dollar Store adapter plug will allow you to use almost all dual-voltage, auto-sensing charger/adapters (they should be clearly marked & typically UL-approved) 

Depending on the category of cabin or stateroom you are booked in, there is at least one of each, maybe an extra one that was used for coffee/tea maker (220 volts) - the 2nd. outlet might be next to the first or the opposite side of the wall, usually by the dresser/table or refrigerator/TV.  

Inside the bathroom is a limited 110 volts outlet, low amp, for shaver only - which is usually OK if you "must" charge those extra smartphone/iPad or iPhone nearby, just be mindful of electrical safety and that when the bathroom light switched off, power is disconnected for that outlet for safety. 

Just remember, no surge-suppressor strips allowed and if you need extra outlets, a simple power tap/splitter or multi-port USB plug always worked with us, and, is permitted.  Always disconnect them when unattended and out of the cabin or the Room Steward will do it & pull anything plugged in away per their protocol.  

Skip the converters - plan on having at least one NON Surge device to handle more than one item

charging at a time.

Image of what I use below:

Look behind the TV for more unused outlets if you did not bring that NON surge outlet device.

Use only minimal current draw items (shaver toothbrush cell phone) with the bathroom outlet.

Beware what was posted earlier about "Lights Out - Current Off" - have not experienced it in

cabins 14000 11530 12522 12030.  Suites generally have more than one outlet.

Image:

1744313155_CopyofDSC04126-Copy-Copy(640x309).jpg.3b981ba4b1cfe092e081cf8fd448bd6f.jpg

We were in an SF suite on the Dawn in Sept.  That cabin only had one US outlet.  All the rest were European.  Don't know how many more cabins are affected or why.  I did buy a converter off Amazon to carry now just in case.  

We sailed Dawn for NYE 2018. Yes rooms are equipped with standard US outlets. I would recommend you purchase one of these. Gives you extra outlets and USB power x2 with added surge protection. 

Belkin product.

https://www.amazon.com/Belkin-3-Outlet-Swivel-Travel-Charger/dp/B0016IXEWG/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=Belkin+BZ103050-TVL&qid=1551991161&s=gateway&sr=8-7

Edited by alexgtp

8 minutes ago, alexgtp said:

We sailed Dawn for NYE 2018. Yes rooms are equipped with standard US outlets. I would recommend you purchase one of these. Gives you extra outlets and USB power x2 with added surge protection

Belkin product.

https://www.amazon.com/Belkin-3-Outlet-Swivel-Travel-Charger/dp/B0016IXEWG/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=Belkin+BZ103050-TVL&qid=1551991161&s=gateway&sr=8-7

I did not think anything with surge protection was allowed.

1 minute ago, Gampy1967 said:

I did not think anything with surge protection was allowed.

Absolutely..

I have used this on all 7 of my NCL cruises.  I don't think I would ever travel without it. I always disconnect it when not in the room. I have left it on the counter in plain site and it has never been confiscated.

1 hour ago, alexgtp said:

This - a word of caution ... I loved assorted Belkin products and personally owned 2 of these for probably 10+ years, this is an older 5W - 1 amp version, fine for "older" USB 1.0 or 2.0 devices.  There is a newer 10W - 2 amp model, better for USB 2.0+ newer smartphone & tablets, etc.   I keep them for domestic air & ground travel in the gadget pouch but no longer bring them on cruises.  Even without a switched/reset breaker, the protection circuits are not designed for marine fire/electrical safety environment - and could be held/seized by trained security screeners as not in compliance. 

Our resident EE, chengpk75, often active here on CC explained this in one of his many insightful comments in the past.  Most of them, we "need" extra outlets to recharge & power a variety of UBS-powered gadgets & devices ... I switched to several multi-port hi-output USB charging cube (dual-voltage adapter) several years ago, eliminating bringing along extra chargers, packing lighter & smarter.  But, I will always have at least 1 extra hi-output charger as a spare/backup.  

MicroCenter, online & at its retail locations - has a great 3-prong (US) outlet tap/angled extension with an extra outlet - it allowed me to connect the laptop/notebook power adapter as well as the Anker 4 USB-port charger.  Pictures below illustrated what I pack & bring along whenever we cruise - they are safe & more than enough for what we need.  Not shown, I also bring along 2 USB 3.0 extension cords, a 5' one and a 10' one - effectively yielding as much as 18' extension to reach nearly everywhere in the stateroom even if the nearest electrical wall outlet is across the room, and to sit out on the balcony.  

IMG170808_1856.jpg

IMGOS1118_0113.jpg

Edited by mking8288