Air Fare Upgrade?

I know this has probably been asked many times but I have been searching and can not find it. If you book the free or reduced airfare through Norwegian (ours is free Chicago to Miami) can we upgrade to 1st class? I saw it said "up to 1900.00" and right now I can find first class round trip flights for 550.00 a person. Which is very cheap. 

This is my first Norwegian Cruise and I am very excited to experience it. 🙂

I had called for our cruise in September just to book through NCL - not free.  I was quoted an amount and told I couldn't even get a quote for First/Business class and that I wouldn't even know what airline and flight until 80 days out.  Needless to say we booked our own airfare.  That said I am assuming you would have to take what you get and try to upgrade with the airline. 

We booked the "Free" airfaire from SFO to Honolulu.  We were told that their is no upgrade available to First Class. And that we will get our flight info 60 days out.  I hope it is 80 days out!!

Have an affinity loyalty with the airline that NCL books you on check and see what that airline can do for you.

NCL is no doubt getting a fare much lower than the airlines tariffs - NCL doesn't want to pay more for the

upgrade and the airline may not want to entertain upgrading a lower fare without substantially more money in

the form of a credit card or mileage points or round-to-its whatever is negotiable.

Some fares are not combinable or eligible for upgrading - the ole fine print written in a paragraph 3 pages deep

on a 7 page contract.

If you want an upperclass seat on a flight you will have to do it on your own dime.

Hopefully NCL will select an airline that you have affinity with for this.

5 hours ago, drvmywifecrzy said:

No upgrade through NCL

We upgraded to Delta One and were able to select the airline, seats and flights plus use our Skymiles number so our experience was different.  We also are leaving 3 days early and delayed our flights home by 2 days after disembarking.  We did work through our PCC and paid a deviation fee per person and the amount to upgrade.  Our flights for a Transatlantic ended up saving us $1,800/person.  So I’m not sure why others are not getting the same availability.  I do know if you don’t upgrade you wait until 70-80 days out to get booking info that NCL selects for you.  The one-way flights are very expensive so not sure this would be true for round trip flights.

Edited by mertziek

2 hours ago, mertziek said:

We upgraded to Delta One and were able to select the airline, seats and flights plus use our Skymiles number so our experience was different.  We also are leaving 3 days early and delayed our flights home by 2 days after disembarking.  We did work through our PCC and paid a deviation fee per person and the amount to upgrade.  Our flights for a Transatlantic ended up saving us $1,800/person.  So I’m not sure why others are not getting the same availability.  I do know if you don’t upgrade you wait until 70-80 days out to get booking info that NCL selects for you.  The one-way flights are very expensive so not sure this would be true for round trip flights.

Did you book using the current promotion or just a standard booking airfare through NCL? 

I am Platinum with Delta and get upgraded even if I am flying on an award ticket. They move me based on space and pecking order with other passengers. I get Delta Comfort almost immediately after booking, first class is day of flight or a couple of days before. 

Chances are we won't be on Delta as it appears that would require two connections and NCL tries to stick to just one.