Mariner of the Seas docking at Coco Cay

I read that Mariner of the Seas is now docking at Coco Cay (or did last week), we will be arriving there on March 27th, why are they cancelling a few cruises to this island in the next few weeks? I know that they are still working on the dock I am just concerned our cruise will be the next one they cancel, although it still states in my planner that we are still going there.

16 minutes ago, Kmad0202 said:

I read that Mariner of the Seas is now docking at Coco Cay (or did last week), we will be arriving there on March 27th, why are they cancelling a few cruises to this island in the next few weeks? I know that they are still working on the dock I am just concerned our cruise will be the next one they cancel, although it still states in my planner that we are still going there.

Mariner did a "test docking".  The pier is not actually open yet.  Cancellation depends on whether tendering operations can occur (either due to construction or weather).  If they cancel ahead of time, it's more than likely because they can't tender safely because of the construction going on on that date.

13 minutes ago, Kmad0202 said:

Thanks, I volunteer the Mariner of the Seas to do a "test docking" on March 27th.:classic_biggrin:

When they did the test docking they didn't let any passengers off the boat. It literally was just a test to see if it could dock. 

27 minutes ago, BND said:

Mariner did a "test docking".  The pier is not actually open yet.  Cancellation depends on whether tendering operations can occur (either due to construction or weather).  If they cancel ahead of time, it's more than likely because they can't tender safely because of the construction going on on that date.

I'm curious how they do this "test docking".  What was on the Mariner's itinerary otherwise for that day?

3 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

I'm curious how they do this "test docking".  What was on the Mariner's itinerary otherwise for that day?

I don't know.  I just know the post I saw showed a pic and said it was a test docking.  But, apparently they didn't let anyone off.  I'm guessing it was a sea day for Mariner and they stopped on the way.  I remember several years ago RCI did a test of the turning basin at Key West and they didn't actually debark passengers or even dock.  I can't remember which ship it was, but it was larger than Vision class that was already docking there.

If they were following their scheduled itinerary, they would have been at Coco Cay that day anyway. My guess is that they did their normal tender operations and then after the outbound tender activity trailed off they suspended the tender operations while theydid the test docking and then repositioned themselves back where they started to receive the afternoon's inbound tenders.

I was on that Mariner cruise.  We tendered over and back.  Once everyone was back on board the captain told us we were the last cruise to tender and he was going to do a test docking to check the pier and equipment.  Our concierge on Coco Cay told us that no ships would be visiting for a week while they finalized the pier and completed (and opened) phase 1 of the new construction areas. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Kmad0202 said:

This is great news for us that are on the Mariner the end of March. (I wouldn't hold my breath, though). Tendering is what it is, but so much more convenient to dock!!! Fingers crossed. Thanks for the info.

I am on the same cruise as you.. I just don't want you to get your hopes up.. I was on Mariner twice in Feb.. One time we made it and one time we didn't.. When I spoke to the staff they were uncertain if the March trips would make it not because of the pier but because of the bridge they need to build and other construction going on at the island. Honestly I have heard negative reports about noise and construction anyway. I think they should just cancel everyone and hurry up get everything done so it can open on-time for May 4th. 

1 hour ago, BND said:

I don't know.  I just know the post I saw showed a pic and said it was a test docking.  But, apparently they didn't let anyone off.  I'm guessing it was a sea day for Mariner and they stopped on the way.  I remember several years ago RCI did a test of the turning basin at Key West and they didn't actually debark passengers or even dock.  I can't remember which ship it was, but it was larger than Vision class that was already docking there.

Oddly, I think that test turn in Key West was Mariner as well. :classic_biggrin:  I remember Aquahound posting about it. 

• Like 1

We're on Mariner at the end of this week and scheduled to stop in Cocoa Cay on Saturday the 16th.  I still haven't received an email stating we won't be stopping in Cocoa Cay.  Crossing my fingers and holding my breath. 🤞

1 hour ago, Tralynn222 said:

We're on Mariner at the end of this week and scheduled to stop in Cocoa Cay on Saturday the 16th.  I still haven't received an email stating we won't be stopping in Cocoa Cay.  Crossing my fingers and holding my breath. 🤞

We are on that next sailing on the 18th so I'm anxious to see if Mariner docks At Cocoa Cay!  I hope so!!