Yet another, which Alaska Itinerary? Nieuw Amsterdam or Westerdam?

Scarlette

So confused about HAL cruise offerings.  I am between these two sailings on August 3 Nieuw Amersterdam Vancouver Roundtrip and August 4 Westerdam Southbound from Seward to Vancouver.  We only have time to do the 7 day cruise, so no land addons.  Which itinerary is overall better? Which ship?  What sorts of things should I be considering?

Itinerary MapItinerary Map

• Like 1

To consider:

the length of times in the ports

the extra cost to get to Anchorage and then from Anchorage to Seward --- may need even an extra day since we don't know where you live

We like the Nieuw Amsterdam because she has the Tamarind specialty restaurant (extra cost).

• Like 1

It's pretty much the same itinerary, but the round trip out of Vancouver is more relaxing, since you don't have to get to Anchorage, then down to Seward.
I would choose that one, regardless of ship.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RuthC said:

It's pretty much the same itinerary, but the round trip out of Vancouver is more relaxing, since you don't have to get to Anchorage, then down to Seward.

As usual, I agree with Ruth!  Alaska is port intensive, so very little time on ship.  I know some people have BIG preferences for ships, but not me.

Edited by 1964IceCreamLady
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Scarlette said:

What sorts of things should I be considering?

One thing to be aware of -- Tracy Arm is not a port, but you can do a transfer to a small boat excursion to sail up the fjord.  That's a shorex that costs around $200 pp, and often sells out.  The small boat will take you to Juneau, where you will meet up with your ship.  It does cut down on the time you will have in Juneau.

I have to agree with everyone else suggesting the roundtrip. Plus, the picture indicates that you get to cruise the inside passage. That can be absolutely beautiful. 

Since Vancouver is a major city, it would be fairly easy to find flights in and out of the city for a reasonable price. It would be more expensive to fly from Seward to Anchorage, than Anchorage back home. Less flights available and they may be more expensive. 

In terms of ports, the difference would be Skagway and Tracy Arm vs. Haines and Seward, so if you have a strong preference either way you may want to consider that. Common ports are Vancouver, Ketchikan, and Juneau. 

• Like 1

If you only have 7 days and this is your first Alaska Cruise, I vote for the RT on the NA. To fly to Anchorage you almost have to fly in the day before, or fly an overnight redeye, either way making this now an 8 day cruise. From Anchorage to Seward is about 4 hours by train or motor coach. IMHO the only reason to do the one way is if you have time for a land tour, which is what we are doing on the Noordam in July. Speaking from experience with our cruise this July, flying RT to Vancouver is about half the cost of the one way airfares and much more convenient. 

• Like 1

I have to agree that the round trip cruise is the best one if you only have 7 days.  IMHO, Glacier Bay is a must see!  It is so gorgeous and you will have a nice day on board taking it all in!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RuthC said:

RuthC is spot on! 

No question the round trip Vancouver is better! Both itineraries have Glacier Bay, which is a highlight of the Alaska HAL cruises, but the round trip Vancouver also  has the bonus of Skagway, a cute little town with  fascinating history. Either end of the cruise spend a few days in Vancouver, it's a beautiful, vibrant city.

Edited by catnana