Packing for both Galapagos and Machu Picchu

ajaxup

We are booked on the Celebrity Flora  in June for a week loop of the Galapagos followed by a week in Cuzco, Machu Picchu and a couple of days in Lima before leaving from there. We’ve heard that the Galapagos are hot and the cruises are very casual dress but I think higher up in Machu Picchu and Cuzco the temperature could get pretty chilly especially at night. Anybody done this combination trip and have advice on how to pack as light as possible but covering all bases as far as temperature changes? I’m guessing layers??

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

The website, weatherbase.com, can give you max-avg-min temperatures, that can help your planning. I used it for our Machu Picchu tour last November.

A few light layers are better than a thick layer. Try a windbreaker-hoodie-sweater combo. It can also be augmented with an undershirt. It all depends on how hot you run. Merino wool is your friend as long as you are not allergic.

It is very bright at altitude, so remember sun protection. Our guides were constantly putting on sunscreen.

See your doctor about altitude sickness pills. It can hit you like a brick. Most hotels have oxygen if you need it.

In Lima, the Miraflores and Barranco districts are the main tourist areas. At the best of times, the drivers are insane with road signs being merely suggestions. Cabs are readily available at the airport with everyone speaking English even at 1am. Not recommended to leave the airport are in search of a cheaper cab.

Just remember that layers are your friend. Also, most hotels will allow you to store your bag until your return. Most couples only took a single checked bag and carryon. Most travel into Cusco from Lima is by air and the flights are full. That's because, while Cuzco is at 11,000 feet, the mountain pass between Lima and Cuzco is at 15,000 feet.

The airport hotel is a business hotel. Fine for 1 night but I would stay in central Lima for any longer stays.

Enjoy, it is a great trip.

We did a similar trip with Quito, Galapagos, Lima, Sacred Valley, Machu Picchu, and Cusco.  We went a bit later than you in late August/Early September.

What surprised us was how variable the weather was.  The only constant was the need for sunscreen.  As per the previous poster layers are what you will need.  Galapagos for us reached 90F one day but also dipped down to the low 50F one night...  It was usually a very mild 80F.  Lima is always kind of cool which surprised me it was overcast and 60F every day.  The Sacred Valley was nice in the high 60F to low 70F.  Machu Picchu is really weird.  When we got off the train it was in 75F and our guide said it would be even hotter on top of the mountain (which it was).  Our guide said that MP is generally hotter than anywhere else in the Sacred Valley.  Cusco on the other hand was freezing.  I think the high was 50F the day we were there and the night felt like it dropped to near freezing.

Bring enough layers that you will be warm enough in Cusco and then mix and match layers as necessary everywhere else.  I'd be surprised if you will need a jacket in MP.

• 1 month later...

I recently returned from 2 weeks (north loop and southern loop B2B) on the Celebrity Xperience in the Galapagos.  Yes, it's hot in the Galapagos, but the sun is strong enough that most walkers will want to cover up. There are also mosquitoes and wasps on some islands. Here's what I wish I'd packed:  Three long sleeved, tropic weight, quick drying neutral color shirts;  three quick dry, neutral color shorts (It's easier for me to hike in shorts than long pants, but if you are very sun sensitive, you might want to take long pants instead of shorts); three fast-drying pairs of hiking socks; and easy-on/easy-off shoes.  Let me explain about my shoe recommendation - We were advised to take water shoes for wet landings.  I never needed to get them wet.  All of the wet landings could be done barefoot.  But once on land, we had to quickly put our shoes back on for any hiking.  Also, we were required to wear shoes when getting on and off the ship from the zodiac.  For wet landings followed by easy hikes, the naturalists wore Crocks or other slip-on shoes. 

Here are some items that I did take and would highly recommend: sturdy hiking boots or shoes, my own snorkeling mask and snorkel (Celebrity provides these, but it might be difficult to get a mask that fits properly), a clothes line, clothes pins, and strong suction cups to hang the line in the cabin, unless you have a large budget for laundry.  The clothes line in our bathroom was short and located so that wet clothing would drip on the floor, not into the shower (There are 2 - 4 excursions each day.  That's a lot of clothes in an equatorial climate!) Maybe the clothes lines on the Flora are more convenient and you won't need to hang your own :classic_unsure: Also, don't forget reef friendly sunscreen, insect repellent, and a hat. 

Edited by islandwoman

• 2 weeks later...

I can only speak to MP....June is the first month of winter.  Snow has, on occasion, made an appearance in Cuzco.  MP is much lower in altitude and much more tropical, so chilly temps rarely happen.