Shareholder benefits?

I had very little trouble even if I didn't have the proper documentation*. I just sent in what they asked for (plus an approximation of the required proof of ownership), and I got $100 on two 7-nighters and $50 ekstra on a 10-nighter were I already had $150 in OBC.

Apparently only existing OBC can prevent the benefits - or rather: you have to choose which one you want.

* I live in Denmark. We don't have ownership documents for shares. Everything is registered digitally and only that.

ETA: all three was probably under some kind of "sale". One was booked while on cruise with 50% off 2nd pax, one via a US TA (Black Friday?), and the last one booked with a Danish TA with some kind of discount.

ETA2: i contacted the US TA, but she gave me very little hope. Then I contacted RCI directly by mail, and it was smooth sailing (so to speak)

Edited by ditmar2007

Just now, The Scurvy Pirate said:

The best shareholder benefit I received was it quadrupling in value...

One of the only stocks I ever bought that did anything major.  Thank goodness I was convinced in Mar 2009 when onboard the Jewel of the seas at the top tier event to buy in.   Everyone was so down b/c the stock price was so bad, but everyone convinced me I would get my money back after just a couple cruises due to the benefit and the price being around $5.00.  (It was combinable with Next cruise back then so $400 total for a 12 night cruise).  It has definitely paid off in spades.  Just wish my other stocks did as well, lol.

• 2 weeks later...

I just tried to use this on a reservation where I was "eligible" for a $50 credit.  I already had $150 from my agent and $50 from RCL on my reservation from the cruise purchase.

They denied my shareholder request for the additional $50 saying I already had greater than that amount on my reservation and that I could only receive the shareholder benefit by calling my agent to remove all existing credits.

What a waste of time, my first RCL cruise isn't off to a great start as this process is a breeze with NCL.

• 2 weeks later...

We booked a Celebrity cruise 14 days Japan. The request for the shareholder obc was refused as it said we got a special fare.

( As a valued shareholder, you are very important to us. The requested shareholder benefit onboard credit cannot be applied to reservation xxxxx as it is not combinable with the discount offer,) Every cruise we take is discounted, who would pay full fare?

We are now going to be ex shareholders of RCCL, and ex cruisers on Royal Caribbean lines.

We mainly sail on HAL or Princess under Carnival Cruise Lines and have never been refused a shareholder obc because we  got a good price. We just did a NCL cruise to Mexico and got a screaming deal and still got the shareholer OBC.

So long Royal Caribbean family.

Hi,

I agree.  I think I will be selling this stock soon if I ever recoup my losses.  Here is the answer I received regarding using my shareholder benefit:

Thank you for contacting our Shareholder Benefit Team. As a valued shareholder and guest, you are very important to us. On behalf of our company, it is my pleasure to respond to your correspondence.

I've reviewed your reservation and it qualifies for $25.00 obc difference since it already have other discounts in the amount of $175.00. Please submit your brokerage statement in order for us to add your onboard credit. 

Sincerely,

Raquel
Shareholder Benefit Team.
Royal Caribbean Cruises, Ltd.

I have used Carnival shareholder benefits in the past and were never denied my $100 obc.

Phylis

1 minute ago, reps23 said:

Hi,

I agree.  I think I will be selling this stock soon if I ever recoup my losses.  Here is the answer I received regarding using my shareholder benefit:

Thank you for contacting our Shareholder Benefit Team. As a valued shareholder and guest, you are very important to us. On behalf of our company, it is my pleasure to respond to your correspondence.

I've reviewed your reservation and it qualifies for $25.00 obc difference since it already have other discounts in the amount of $175.00. Please submit your brokerage statement in order for us to add your onboard credit. 

Sincerely,

Raquel

I have used Carnival shareholder benefits in the past and were never denied my $100 obc.

Phylis

Royal is very good (and consistent by the way) at coming up with ways to deny the shareholder benefit. 

I always email them and ask BEFORE I go through the process of sending them proof of ownership.  Often, I'm turned down.  One occasion, I asked, was told I qualified …. I applied, and was denied.  I sent them email which said I qualified and they honoured it.

49 minutes ago, reps23 said:

Hi,

Sincerely,

Raquel

Phylis

Well...at least you received something instead of an outright denial.:classic_biggrin: We usually just receive the denial, although we have no OBC on our next sailing...but we will probably get denied for the balcony discount. :classic_rolleyes: