Luggage forwarding service

artlee

We are taking Koningsdam on the TA in April. After the 22 days on board we are staying 4 days in Rome before returning home to FL. Was thinking of using a service to take a big bag home and just having to hall around our 2 carryon bags while in Rome. Has anyone used this service? Do we still have to put the bag outside the cabin and claim it in baggage claim/customs/etc. and then hand it over? Was hoping somehow it could go from outside our cabin the night before to home!! Fat chance?

I think you will need to contact the company to get an answer to that.  It will depend on the procedures of your disembarkation port.  In the US you will definitely need to take your bags through customs and the representative will typically be right out side the customs exit.  Some ports might let you have it taken off directly but I wouldn't count on it.

Roy

I think it is possible for a Rome arrival as we had investigated it - leaving the ship with carry ons and use the forwarding service but the price was breathtaking.  We opted to schlep the bags.  In Rome the only problem we had was we took Holland's transfer bus to the city and got dumped off at the drop off point which entailed a lot of hauling to get them to the curb and then up the walk to the cab stand.  Be prepared if you have not traveled through the Rome airport.  Allow a lot of time it is extremely difficult with a very long hike and a real trick to locate departure gates amongst all the shops.  Then there are stairs down to the tarmac and stairs (steep) back up to the plane.   I loved Rome I truly hate that airport.  My friend's wheel chair was not there and we waited 20 minutes before hoofing it not a good way to end a wonderful trip.  

If I understand your question correctly, you are asking if your bag can go home 4 days before you do? That would be "no".  The service is for getting your bags onto YOUR FLIGHT (with you!) without your having to handle them from ship to home airport. It doesn't ship your bags ahead of you. It puts them on your flight, just as if you had brought them to the airport yourself to check them in.  (If I misunderstood your question, sorry, just disregard)

14 minutes ago, Moriah said:

If I understand your question correctly, you are asking if your bag can go home 4 days before you do? That would be "no".  The service is for getting your bags onto YOUR FLIGHT (with you!) without your having to handle them from ship to home airport. It doesn't ship your bags ahead of you. It puts them on your flight, just as if you had brought them to the airport yourself to check them in.  (If I misunderstood your question, sorry, just disregard)

This depends on whether you are using something like Luggage Direct (in which case your bags go on your flight with you) or simply "mailing" your bags home, like any package. In that case, your bags don't go with you on your flight.

4 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

This depends on whether you are using something like Luggage Direct (in which case your bags go on your flight with you) or simply "mailing" your bags home, like any package. In that case, your bags don't go with you on your flight.

Ah. Yes, I had a feeling I must have misunderstood! I assumed the OP was asking about the luggage direct service provided by HAL.  But now that I think about it, that's only for domestic flights anyway.

I think HAL uses a company called "Luggage Forward." I have used this service and also Cunard's version to get luggage to a ship, but never for going home. It's expensive for international shipping because the shipping company acts as your "customs agent," handling the paperwork that is required to get the bag through customs. I think it's worth it for convenience if you're doing land travel before or after a cruise. These services give you a tracking number, so you can see where your luggage is--has it cleared customs, etc. 

I suggest calling HAL's customer service to ask what their recommended service is. They may be able to give you a quote, or at least give you a number to call to get a quote.