Questions about excursions

snookie1

So we were finally able to sign up today for excursions for our Majestic Fjords cruise May 16th.  First, Viking Journey would not let me on until 3PM (everyone said it was 3AM!)  Then the 2 optional excursions we really wanted (West Island Discovery in Gothenburg and Scenic Flam Railway in Eifjord) were sold out.  Does anyone know if we can take the railway without the ship's excursion?  I tried looking it up on the web, but was unable to get any kind of schedules or prices.  Then, I guess we would have to get from Eifjord to Flam on our own, right?  And how to make it a round trip?  I'm lost.  Then it was pretty disappointing too, since we had to choose later times for 6 out of 10 of the included excursions then we wanted.  It seems silly to do a walk-about-town on our own early then take a late-in-the-day overview of the town.  I think I read in these posts somewhere that some say it is OK to just show up for an included excursion at the time you want -- maybe there will be room.  Have any of you tried that?  Were you successful?

Thank you for any help you can give.

I have not tried to just show up for an included excursion in hopes of finding a spot. I don't know how that would work out. I do advise you to continue to check regularly on My Viking Journey for the excursions you  wanted that were sold out, as often spots will turn up later as Viking adds another bus or people just alter their plans. We are in Veranda cabins each cruise, and so are the last to book, but have had good luck in getting spots later on for excursions that were originally sold out. Some even recommend that you call Viking or email them at tellus@vikingcruises.com so they will know there is additional interest in a particular excursion. 

Also, I am curious about what happened with your sign up time. I'm also on the east coast and sign up for excursions has indeed been 3:00 AM for our cruises, to my dismay! 

It's easy to book directly, though I will say I read on another post that May dates were full.  😞    Tickets at NSB dot no, since we can't post links.  I'm guessing you'd need to rent a car or take a taxi to get from Eidfjord to Flam....we were docked in Flam when we did the trip on RC.

Edited by sarch99

1 hour ago, lackcreativity said:

I have not tried to just show up for an included excursion in hopes of finding a spot. I don't know how that would work out. I do advise you to continue to check regularly on My Viking Journey for the excursions you  wanted that were sold out, as often spots will turn up later as Viking adds another bus or people just alter their plans. We are in Veranda cabins each cruise, and so are the last to book, but have had good luck in getting spots later on for excursions that were originally sold out. Some even recommend that you call Viking or email them at tellus@vikingcruises.com so they will know there is additional interest in a particular excursion. 

Also, I am curious about what happened with your sign up time. I'm also on the east coast and sign up for excursions has indeed been 3:00 AM for our cruises, to my dismay! 

Time has now changed by 12 hours. 

• Like 1

It’s on Facebook for Viking Cruisers. It means that the ‘days to book’ for Australians and New Zealanders is wrong. It’s another day for us. And no notice from Viking and we book in 2 days. 

Im on the phone to them now to confirm. I’ve been on hold for ages. 

Edited by Pushka

Viking have confirmed the change. BUT the telephone operator is telling people the incorrect time in Sydney that it opens. I’ve said that no one has received anything official from Viking and that people are only learning about it on social media. 

Viking hasn't handled this especially well!  I did go to the Facebook page and saw the post, but it was by a fellow cruiser and not an official Viking announcement.  Someone posted that they had received an email from Viking the day before their signup window - I will look for that tomorrow.

Pushka , thank you for "taking one for the team" and spending all that time on hold!! Have a wonderful time in Alaska! Hope you have time to enjoy other parts of our Pacific Northwest!

• Thanks 1

Greetings,

We’re happy to step in to provide information and clarify confusion about the new booking windows that have been discussed on this thread.

As of March 16th, the time at which shore excursions, dining and spa appointments go on sale has been adjusted from 12am PST to 12pm PST. This adjustment was made with all guests in mind, and after careful review of feedback from past Viking travelers around the globe.

While My Viking Journey accounts, as well as our website FAQ section, were immediately updated to reflect this change, email notices communicating the correct times are also being distributed to each impacted guest the day before their booking window opens.

We appreciate this opportunity to share the news and hope you all remain excited to plan your upcoming voyages. We continue to welcome any questions or feedback at tellus@vikingcruises.com.

Thank you for traveling with us, and for being a valued member of this community.

Best regards,

Viking Cruises

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Viking Cruises said:

Greetings,

We’re happy to step in to provide information and clarify confusion about the new booking windows that have been discussed on this thread.

As of March 16th, the time at which shore excursions, dining and spa appointments go on sale has been adjusted from 12am PST to 12pm PST. This adjustment was made with all guests in mind, and after careful review of feedback from past Viking travelers around the globe.

While My Viking Journey accounts, as well as our website FAQ section, were immediately updated to reflect this change, email notices communicating the correct times are also being distributed to each impacted guest the day before their booking window opens.

We appreciate this opportunity to share the news and hope you all remain excited to plan your upcoming voyages. We continue to welcome any questions or feedback at tellus@vikingcruises.com.

Thank you for traveling with us, and for being a valued member of this community.

Best regards,

Viking Cruises

Thank you Viking!   No more alarm clocks just to sign up for excursions.  Plus, for 12 noon Pacific time, it will still be evening in Europe for those cruisers.   And depending on the time of year, it might not be too early in the AM for the Aussies.

3 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

Thank you Viking!   No more alarm clocks just to sign up for excursions.  Plus, for 12 noon Pacific time, it will still be evening in Europe for those cruisers.   And depending on the time of year, it might not be too early in the AM for the Aussies.

People in Western Australia will need to be ready at 4am. 

Question for those who have recently booked excursions through Viking:  When it comes to paying for optional excursions, do you supply credit card information at check-out, or does it use whatever credit card you've registered for onboard charges in your MVJ account?

Also, if I have OBC, will it automatically deduct excursions from the OBC?  

55 minutes ago, just_dont said:

Question for those who have recently booked excursions through Viking:  When it comes to paying for optional excursions, do you supply credit card information at check-out, or does it use whatever credit card you've registered for onboard charges in your MVJ account?

Also, if I have OBC, will it automatically deduct excursions from the OBC?  

Paying for optional excursions - yes, credit card details need to be supplied when you 'check-out'.

The credit card detail you enter in MVJ is for 'on-board' use and isn't automatically linked to your optional excursion purchases.

However I recorded a credit card in the MVJ system prior to our NZ cruise in January and when I boarded I had to supply the details again as that information was not swept across to the on-board system (so recording the details in MVJ was a waste of time - I'm not sure if this was a wide spread problem or if the problem still exists). 

As best as I understand, OBC is for use only on-board so I don't expect you would be able use it to book prior to boarding - but you should be able to use once on-board (but if you wait you may miss out on your choices).

Regards, LM

16 minutes ago, Little Monty said:

Paying for optional excursions - yes, credit card details need to be supplied when you 'check-out'.

The credit card detail you enter in MVJ is for 'on-board' use and isn't automatically linked to your optional excursion purchases.

However I recorded a credit card in the MVJ system prior to our NZ cruise in January and when I boarded I had to supply the details again as that information was not swept across to the on-board system (so recording the details in MVJ was a waste of time - I'm not sure if this was a wide spread problem or if the problem still exists). 

As best as I understand, OBC is for use only on-board so I don't expect you would be able use it to book prior to boarding - but you should be able to use once on-board (but if you wait you may miss out on your choices).

Regards, LM

Thanks LM. Those are actually the answers I was hoping for.  

While I have registered a card for onboard purchases (will have to wait to see if it will propagate to the ship), I actually want to use a different card for booking the excursions. 

I also don't want to deplete my OBC.  Will save that for a spa day or maybe some premium hooch in Torshavn. :classic_cool:  Although, when I login to MVJ, it gives me a popup telling me I have OBC to spend.  Why would it tell me on MVJ if it wouldn't let me spend it on MVJ?

Anyway, looking forward to booking excursions soon, and getting really excited about the upcoming cruise.

Cheers.

Every time I log in I get the message to spend my OBC. So I did. On Silver Spirits Package. Just yesterday I used OBC given to me by Viking to make a purchase. It was deducted automatically before advising the amount that was to be charged to the credit card. And I know you can also use this to buy excursions. The only OBC that is not usable prior is that provided by a TA perk. 

Edited by Pushka

5 minutes ago, Pushka said:

Every time I log in I get the message to spend my OBC. So I did. On Silver Spirits Package. Just yesterday I used OBC given to me by Viking to make a purchase. It was deducted automatically before advising the amount that was to be charged to the credit card. And I know you can also use this to buy excursions. The only OBC that is not usable prior is that provided by a TA perk. 

Wow .. live and learn. Thanks Pushka

14 minutes ago, just_dont said:

Thanks LM. Those are actually the answers I was hoping for.  

While I have registered a card for onboard purchases (will have to wait to see if it will propagate to the ship), I actually want to use a different card for booking the excursions. 

I also don't want to deplete my OBC.  Will save that for a spa day or maybe some premium hooch in Torshavn. :classic_cool:  Although, when I login to MVJ, it gives me a popup telling me I have OBC to spend.  Why would it tell me on MVJ if it wouldn't let me spend it on MVJ?

Anyway, looking forward to booking excursions soon, and getting really excited about the upcoming cruise.

Cheers.

Apologies .. Pushka has corrected my post. 

Enjoy.

Wow .. live and learn. Thanks Pushka

Oh don’t worry. Viking are changing things all the time.

Like this excursion thing. They insist it’s 7am AEST. So 6.30am for me. I didn’t agree. So at midnight PST just now I checked what it is here and it was 5.30pm. Which means it must be 5.30am and not 6.30 am. So an early wake up tomorrow.