New Orleans Hotel Questions

Flying to NOLA the day before our Carnival cruise and looking for Hotel recommendations that are near the AIRPORT and possibly in walking distance to a store where I could purchase wine/champagne and soda! Staying in the Quarter is not an option, Jazz fest going on when we fly in and hotels are outrageous!! 

Also, staying a night in NOLA after the cruise, booked a room at the Astor Crowne Plaza on Canal and Bourbon. Anyone know if this hotel is in walking distance from the cruise terminal?? I'm fine trekking a ways but I will have my 3 year old terrorist and luggage to handle. 

Thank you 🙂 

We stay at Best Western Plus New Orleans Airport Hotel in Kenner.  Close to the airport.  Free shuttle from the airport to the hotel and the shuttle will take you to dinner and pick you up.  Shuttle from the hotel to the port for a fee.  I can't remember what it costs.  Less than half an hour from the port.  Free breakfast.  It seems like there are some stores close by.

It isn't the nicest hotel, but it's clean.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LoungingMcCoy said:

We stay at Best Western Plus New Orleans Airport Hotel in Kenner.  Close to the airport.  Free shuttle from the airport to the hotel and the shuttle will take you to dinner and pick you up.  Shuttle from the hotel to the port for a fee.  I can't remember what it costs.  Less than half an hour from the port.  Free breakfast.  It seems like there are some stores close by.

Thank you so much for this info.  We’re not familiar with the area but booked this hotel based on a friend’s recommendation to stay in Kenner prior to our cruise. 

20 minutes ago, LoungingMcCoy said:

Awesome, thank you!

20 hours ago, JustLikeHeave80 said:

Awesome, thank you!

Our stay near the airport is usually at the Holiday Inn Crowne Plaza.  Shuttle to and from the airport.  Convenience store across the street and restaurant on site and adjacent.

The Astor Crowne Plaza on Canal is a trek.  I would not attempt it with luggage and a 3 year old.  Alone or couple with no luggage, no problem.

23 hours ago, JustLikeHeave80 said:

Also, staying a night in NOLA after the cruise, booked a room at the Astor Crowne Plaza on Canal and Bourbon. Anyone know if this hotel is in walking distance from the cruise terminal?? I'm fine trekking a ways but I will have my 3 year old terrorist and luggage to handle. 

Thank you 🙂 

NO! I would not walk this far with a child or luggage.

23 minutes ago, JaxsMama said:

You could ride the street car to the hotel after?  I haven't done it yet but I'm researching for my cruise in September.

Ohhh, I will have to look into this! Im not bringing a car seat so taking a cab/uber is out and If I can bypass paying $75 to hire a shuttle that would be amazing. 

8 hours ago, JustLikeHeave80 said:

Ohhh, I will have to look into this! Im not bringing a car seat so taking a cab/uber is out and If I can bypass paying $75 to hire a shuttle that would be amazing. 

And make sure you look into possible closures. Unless things have changed in the two months since I’ve been to New Orleans, the street car station closures due to the four seasons hotel construction would force you to walk all the way to canal street.....and at that point you’re just a few blocks from Astor anyway.

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

And make sure you look into possible closures. Unless things have changed in the two months since I’ve been to New Orleans, the street car station closures due to the four seasons hotel construction would force you to walk all the way to canal street.....and at that point you’re just a few blocks from Astor anyway.

Good info!  I read there was a riverwalk line but I couldn't find it on the route map.  Any idea how long the construction is going in?  I was hoping to exit ship and ride it towards French quarter. 

21 minutes ago, JaxsMama said:

Good info!  I read there was a riverwalk line but I couldn't find it on the route map.  Any idea how long the construction is going in?  I was hoping to exit ship and ride it towards French quarter. 

It was riverfront stops that were closed. The construction started last summer and I want to say they said it was going to last a year.