Why no straws?

Fishkillbill

My 2 cents:  There is absolutely no reason that one HAS to have a straw.  Unless one is disabled (i.e. Parkinson's, a quadriplegic, no doubt others that I am unaware of), we can ALL do without a straw.

I'll challenge you to come up with any valid reason that they are NECESSARY.  (With the exception noted above.)

Edited by jkgourmet
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, boscobeans said:

Two months ago on Royal Caribbean there were no longer any plastic straws. My wife who tends towards the frozen drinks had no problems as far as taste. The straws held up pretty well but did seem to get a little limp if she nursed the drinks too long.

Apparently it's not fleet wide on RC yet. We just returned from a B2B cruise on the Freedom and the bar tenders were using plastic straws in the DL. No straws for our types of drinks. 

Edited by davekathy

4 minutes ago, jkgourmet said:

My 2 cents:  There is absolutely no reason that one HAS to have a straw.  Unless one is disabled (i.e. Parkinson's, a quadriplegic, no doubt others that I am unaware of), we can ALL do without a straw.

You forget one must absolutely have a straw to be able to shoot spitballs at the back of individuals heads while in the theater.

Edited by SFLcowboy78

12 hours ago, Schmoe38 said:

Gang

Sorry, but I’m not sure why we have a second thread on “straws” when there was already one underway?

Help me to understand.

Randy

You can always request the CC mods merge the two threads. 

19 minutes ago, jkgourmet said:

I'll challenge you to come up with any valid reason that they are NECESSARY.  (With the exception noted above.)

I never use straws. My wife, on the other hand, has sensitive teeth. It is very painful for her to drink without a straw.

12 hours ago, Phxazzcruisers said:

We have a home on the beach in the Caribbean and each day starts with a bag collecting plastic waste off the beach.  Plastic straws, bottles, bottle caps, plastic utensils, it is just sickening.  Hopefully when the biodegradable alternatives become more cost effective the plastic garbage trashing our oceans will stop.  

If I could afford a home on the beach in the Caribbean, I'd hire people to keep my beach clean. Problem solved.

6 minutes ago, Phxazzcruisers said:

Not funny and not constructive at all.  I do to mind cleaning the beach.  The point was made to highlight the ever growing problem with plastics and our oceans, which you obviously do not care about protecting.  Problem NOT solved

All joking aside I do agree that pollution of our planet is a serious issue and we all have to start somewhere. I admire you for doing your part to help. Most of my replies on here are really just to play devil's advocate. I do not think banning straws will make a difference at all. Until we can produce biodegradable alternatives that are cost effective or convince everyone to switch to reusable alternatives this issue will continue to exist. We as humans are the only species on this planet that take what God gave us and purposefully destroy our only home.

4 minutes ago, SFLcowboy78 said:

We as humans are the only species on this planet that take what God gave us and purposefully destroy our only home.

Heck, give us credit for SOMEthing--at least we share by destroying everybody else's home, too.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Fishkillbill said:

I never use straws. My wife, on the other hand, has sensitive teeth. It is very painful for her to drink without a straw.

Actually, that has some validity.  It's the reason that I nearly always get my soft drinks without ice.  I put up with it for cocktails.  🙂  

PS - I've also used that toothpaste for sensitive teeth.  it does help a bit.