Red Ginger Question

TomOG

There is some spice-I think the fabulous duck and watermelon salad has a spicy element that can be avoided once you see it but overall the food is not very spicy and the sea bass is not at all.  I also think but could not bring the menu up that they have lamb chops there or some other non Asian meat offering that my DH spice hater ate.

Red Ginger is interesting. I have had mostly good meals there. Like their sushi and fish dishes. If you are hesitant about eating there, eat in another venue. You do not have to dine in every specialty restaurant. I have met people who prefer the grand dining room and Buffet. They are not happy spending hours eating. Find your own place. My least favorite restaurant is Toscana.  They overlook pasta. 

I Tvmovielover;

the most predominate flavor in the duck and watermelon salad is cilantro. Cilantro provided flavors from the leaves themselves but not actual spicy flavors. Coriander, which comes from the same plant, does have a spicy note. 

Some people don’t like flavorful foods, but prefer bland. They don’t like onions, garlic, oregano, thyme,  or a host of other non hot additives in their food, just bland or “ plain” foods. Flavorful is not necessarily spicy, nor are spicy foods necessarily hot. Basil can add it’s own spiciness and delicious flavors. but it’s not hot. For some it’s too spicy .

When people complain about something being to “ spicy”, I never know if they dislike anything too flavorful or to hot to their taste. 

Edited by pinotlover
  • Like 2

in any case   if you want more HEAT  then just ask  them to  spice it up

If you prefer less HEAT but like to taste the  flavour of the food   then mention you do not want it HOT as in spicy

There is  a difference in Spicy & spicy  HEAT

The food temperature is another topic

When you cannot tell if your cup of tea is actually HOT  in temperature because the dish you are eating has  anesthetized your mouth with SPICES   that is  a problem

JMO

Our first time on Marina back in October 2011 was also our first experience with Red Ginger.  I remember that I ordered a shrimp dish that had one pepper next to it and I asked for extra heat.  I guess I got some, but  for me it wasn't enough.  (Yes, I enjoyed the dish anyway.)

Last time we were in Red Ginger I asked for extra heat and they more than complied!  I don't know if different policies are in place now or if it was just a difference in chefs.  After six or seven years, I can see there would be a difference in chefs AND policies!

While RG is our least favorite specialty on the "O" ships (I agree an elegant space) we've never had a bad meal there, even if we like more spice.  But you will find us at Jacques many more times than you will find us at RG.

We DID have a wonderful dinner in RG with Jan Cruz several years ago -- she and Stu pre-ordered the meal and they did a wonderful job for our group of 8.  That's the best meal we've had there.

And at a birthday dinner (not one of ours) on Sirena in October 2016 the waiters singing happy birthday had a routine that was so much fun that I didn't mind the singing!

Mura

We ate at Red Ginger tonight, on the Marina. The food is not particularly spicy, but to my taste, and to my husband’s, it is very sweet. Now, neither of us really likes Asian food, and we are unfamiliar with it, but we didn’t expect it to be so sweet. My husband had the sea bass, which everyone raves about, and found it too sweet to eat. I had the lobster pad Thai, which is also highly recommended, and though I ate most of it, it was much too sweet for my liking. The beef salad and the raved about duck and watermelon salad also seem very sweet to us. So, the food is not spicy, but it is sweet. Red Ginger is the favourite restaurant of many, but the least favourite of ours. We may skip it next cruise, as the other specialty restaurants, and the MIn Dining Room are all great.