Please help me decide which cruise to take

hrmkr

13 hours ago, hrmkr said:

We do snorkel.  I read that Bonaire does have incredible snorkeling. Is that enough too choose 1 cruise over the others?

I've snorkeled several times in the ABC's. The reefs there are amazing. Woodwind Bonaire has a wonderful boat/equipment and is well respected on CC. You have to book them thru their website, and their boarding dock is 5-10' from the ship. 

I'm using Mi Dushi for my next Aruba visit. I've never used them before but they come highly recommended. I enjoyed the reef around Curacao but used a shore based excursion. I prefer a catamaran.  

Have a wonderful visit!!!

39 minutes ago, AnnaNicole said:

Since you are going in October (Hurricane season), I would go with the ABC islands.  Much less risk of hurricanes.   But you are leaving out of San Juan....so....there is that possibility of weather.

Per above, less risk of hurricanes once you get to the ABC's ... but you'll have to get to sail to them which could be a problem in October.  :classic_unsure:

1 minute ago, Johnamac123 said:

I'm using Mi Dushi for my next Aruba visit. I've never used them before but they come highly recommended. I enjoyed the reef around Curacao but used a shore based excursion. I prefer a catamaran.  

We did that Mi Dushi excursion a few years ago and enjoyed it.  They make it a fun time.

28 minutes ago, Johnamac123 said:

I've snorkeled several times in the ABC's. The reefs there are amazing. Woodwind Bonaire has a wonderful boat/equipment and is well respected on CC. You have to book them thru their website, and their boarding dock is 5-10' from the ship. 

Can you please tell me what tour you went on that was shore based?

15 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

Fascination is way past her prime and way to small.  Freedom is actually larger than the Horizon. If you want to try something new go with Freedom.  Royal seems to have a much better way of spreading out passengers through out the ship. Even though freedom is 16 years old she shines as if new. 

Isn't she about 13.  I was thinking she made her maiden voyage around  2006. I sailed on her 100th cruise in 2008.

4 hours ago, hrmkr said:

Good point with Hurricane season.  It would be early October.

The Horizon and Freedom itineraries have 2 same islands and 2 different.

Both visit Aruba and Curacao

On the Horizon, the different islands are Grand Turk and La Romana

On the FOS, it would be Bonaire and St. Maarten.

I did the Horizon itenerary a few summers ago and loved all of the ports. They are all very different. I’ve never been to Bonaire and I’d say make your decision based on what you want to see and do I’m each port. I’m an educator and loved La Romana because many of my students and colleagues are Dominican, so I was finally engulfed in their culture. Grand Turk will probably be a stop on a future cruise itenerary because it’s closer. It seems you’re into the beach and water activities; do FOS, so you can see Bonaire and the other truly southern ports. I guess my other question would be, have you ever been to Puerto Rico? And is that a place you’ve always wanted to visit. 

We have sailed on Carnival Fascination (many years ago) and RCCL Freedom of the Seas on different itineraries. Freedom was such a better ship. We have sailed the ABC islands itinerary on another ship and really enjoyed it compared to the one sailing to St Lucia, St Kitts and Barbados. I would personally pick your first choice due to ship and itinerary. 

I would choose between the Horizon and Freedom. I say give RCI a try and the Freedom is a wonderful ship, she was my favorite before the Oasis class came out. The Horizon has an extra day though. That is a really hard choice but I don't think you can make a bad decision. I have done the Fascination itinerary and it was great, but I would not choose that ship because of her age and size, I am a big ship kind of girl. 

Depends on what is important to you and how I think of choosing a cruise is either based on 1)Ports 2)Cost 3)Ship.  If ports are important then #1 would be my choice.  If cost is important then go with #3.  And if ship is most important go with #1.  Sometimes I pick a specific cruise based on the ports I have never seen but then again I have gone on cruises just because I have snagged a good deal not caring about the ports or ship and just need a vacation.  And sometimes (like a Celebrity EDGE cruise) I would choose just based on the ship.  

Edited by aly7859

After researching a little more last night, I am leaning toward the Freedom.  However, there is a possible catch.  It is down to the Horizon and Freedom  . I found a Dec 1 sailing of the FOS that is a little cheaper however the airfare will be much higher since I would need to fly to SJ on Friday (day after Thanksgiving).

Based off of itinerary 1000000% would do the Fascination. We only went on Carnival cruises while I was growing up so I personally have a fond place in my heart for their fleet, but it's the oldest one out of all the ships you mentioned so if going on a new ship with lots to do is a huge factor for you then this wouldn't be the best choice. I do think it 100% has the best ports though and I actually really want to go on this cruise and have been looking into it recently myself LOL. We love love love St. Maarten like if we could move there we totally would. and we love St. Thomas we had so much fun snorkeling there! We've never been to St. Kitts, St. Lucia or Barbados though we've heard wonderful things about them especially that St. Lucia is gorgeous. So based off ports alone I would choose the Fascination. But the other two have newer ships so there might be more activities and I know a lot of people really take that into consideration so they don't get bored once back on board 🤣

We're going on our first RCI cruise this May on Oasis of the Seas and I have NEVER been on anything like it before. It was the best price for the itinerary we wanted not necessarily the mega-ship that drew us in. The ship wasn't the motivating factor in booking it for us but everyone is different. I'm hoping I'll like Royal because I hear it's very different from Carnival which is my main point of reference for anything cruising (like did you know apparently they don't set the baked Alaska on fire in the MDR anymore? truly wild hahahha)

Edited by CarnivalCruiser32

I would recommend the Horizon.  Has the good ports.  Newer.  My children and grandchildren sailed on the Horizon and loved it. Kids are mid 40's and grandkids 15 and 17. Apparently they lived on the Guy Fieri burgers!  They loved them.  Plus flying to Miami has more flight options should weather be an issue.  But no matter what you choose,  I hope you have a great time!

Edited by torpeedo

Still trying to decide...

The Freedom and Horizon size wise are very close.  Now the difference is that the Horizon is the newest ship for Carnival.  the Freedom is 13 years old but it was state of the art when it came out.  It is not an old, rundown ship. 

I think I am actually get close to deciding.  Strongly leaning toward the Freedom of the Seas.

Here is what I am down to with comparisons:

• Ship size= equal
  • Quality of ship- Yes, the Horizon is the latest and greatest for Carnival but the Freedom is still a very good ship even though it is 13 years old.  At the time, it was the largest ship in the world and state of the art.  It is not like it is night/day.  Maybe dawn/day.  slight advantage Horizon.
  • Price- The Freedom cruise would cost about $150 less even after i use my Amex discounts from Carnival.  The Horizon prices are inflated because it is currently the newest ship and everyone wants to go on it.  We can maybe go in a year or 2 when the prices come back down to earth.
  • Food=equal
  • Entertainment= Advantage Freedom
  • Itineraries= Advantage Freedom.  Both go to Aruba and Curacao. Freedom gives me Bonaire and St. Maarten while Carnival has Grand Turk and La Romana
  • Airfare= Advantage Carnival.  Flying to Miami would be cheaper than SJ.  Especially since we would fly to SJ on the Saturday after Thanksgiving.  The airlines always jack up the prices during the holidays.  I will jump on the flight when Southwest releases the fares for Nov/Dec in May.
  • Hurricane possibility= Advantage Royal. For the Horizon cruise, it is Oct 6 which is smack in the middle of hurricane season. The Freedom cruise is in December.
  • Length of cruise= Carnival. It is an 8 day cruise.  An extra day of relaxing.  This is the biggest factor which is basically keeping me from finally deciding.

Thoughts?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

check out Spirit airlines... WE fly them to FLL. They fly to SJ as well. 

If you start looking right at 90 day mark, ATL-FLL prices drop sharply, but you gotta catch a moment to catch the cheapest fare.

Spirit will nickel and dime you with paying extra for bags, seating, boarding while SW it is all included.

SW will not come out with their fares for Nov/Dec until mid May.  I will look ASAP and compare.

19 minutes ago, hrmkr said:

Spirit will nickel and dime you with paying extra for bags, seating, boarding while SW it is all included.

SW will not come out with their fares for Nov/Dec until mid May.  I will look ASAP and compare.

oh, please. Other major airlines (barring SW) charge for checked luggage.

The three of us travel with 2 checked suitcases ($31 each), a large personal item each (it's a backpack - free), we check in online (free) and have the boarding passes sent to our phones or print them at home (free). Spirit says they charge for boarding passes printed at the airport, but we never get charged for those.  We never pay for seats and we don't pay for boarding. Who charges for boarding? Where did you get that idea?

We have flown with them for many years now and have sat together at all times (3 to 5 of us, if my parents come).

So, when you compare SW prices on ATL-FLL-ATL flights ($243 each way no matter when you purchase them) or $206 roundtrip + $62+62 for luggage on Spirit, we still come out way on top.

4 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

oh, please. Other major airlines (barring SW) charge for checked luggage.

The three of us travel with 2 checked suitcases ($31 each), a large personal item each (it's a backpack - free), we check in online (free) and have the boarding passes sent to our phones or print them at home (free). Spirit says they charge for boarding passes printed at the airport, but we never get charged for those.  We never pay for seats and we don't pay for boarding. Who charges for boarding? Where did you get that idea?

We have flown with them for many years now and have sat together at all times (3 to 5 of us, if my parents come).

So, when you compare SW prices on ATL-FLL-ATL flights ($243 each way no matter when you purchase them) or $206 roundtrip + $62+62 for luggage on Spirit, we still come out way on top.

guess I need to look loser at Spirit.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, hrmkr said:

guess I need to look loser at Spirit.

I would definitely check them out. LIke I said - for ATL-FLL route the price drops around a 90 day mark... I usually check before and after and every day (some people actually write a bot program for checking prices, but I am not a programmer) until I see an acceptable price. This year the lowest price for my March 31-April 7 cruise was on Jan 12.