Free Air Offer NOT WORTH THE HEADACHE

ccream

On 3/31/2019 at 8:21 PM, YankeesFan4Life said:

I booked BA in August, flying from Newark to MIA. 4 people.  Airfare from EWR-MIA is typically $350pp, which would be $1400 total, give or take.  If I backed out the $350pp, it would be approximately the same as the sailaway rate, and at that rate, it is more cost effective for me to have booked the Free at Sea with the free airfare, plus I get the beverage package and taking the dining package.  Totally worth it for me, financially.

In addition, we are coming in the day before, they changed their "air deviation" fare to only $25pp.  I am on my own for my hotel, as well as getting to the ship to the day of.  They still are charging me and getting me transfers from the ship to the airport ($16pp).  Totally worth it in my opinion.  Flights from EWR-MIA and back are pretty much ALL non-stop.  Just hoping I can get on Southwest, so I can save $25/bag!!!!

I'm not 100%, but I don't think they offer any Southwest flights. I was looking at one cruise - though it wasn't one with free air - and I asked about Southwest and she said we don't have any flights with them.

2 hours ago, alwalaska said:

I actually wish they would do away with all of the promotions.  The price difference between a sail-away balcony and one where you get to pick a category is crazy. We don't want any of the promos, so the choice is, pay for things we don't want so that we can pick our cabin, or take the luck of the draw with a sail-away category.  I wish there was a $75 fee or something over the sail-away price where you can pick a cabin number, but opt for no promos. 

I agree. I like that $75 option as well.  But if they're profiting, they're not going to stop. We used to purchase CruiseNext coupons ($500 for $250) on board without researching. Now if there's not an NCL cruise of interest that's at a reasonable price, we won't be purchasing any future use coupons. Although adding the airfare  has helped make the price reasonable without it, I won't be cruising NCL.

On 3/26/2019 at 9:25 AM, chasinraynbowz said:

Yesterday, I booked my husband and I on a cruise for 2020 out of Venice.  We will be flying from Memphis, TN to Venice, Italy.  I chose to let NCL get my flights this time.  I told my rep that we wanted to fly Thursday night and land on Friday (cruise leaves on Sunday) and she took care of it.  She said it was $25 per person.  She also said that I am responsible for my hotel for 2 nights and for getting myself to our hotel and to the port.  NCL will get me from the cruise port to the airport for our trip home. 

Am I missing something?  I have never let the cruiselines handle my airfare, now I am worried after reading all of your posts.  

Note:  Airfare thru NCL is $990.  My getting airfare on my own is over $1500 per person.  That's a difference of over $1000.  

Airfares are only published 300 days in advance for most airlines so not sure how you can already tell that it's over $1,500 per person one way from Memphis to Venice. What I do know is that one way from Memphis to Venice this July (peak season...last minute) starts at around $450 per person. The routing isn't ideal but if you're price conscious it's there.

46 minutes ago, DaCruiseBug said:

Airfares are only published 300 days in advance for most airlines so not sure how you can already tell that it's over $1,500 per person one way from Memphis to Venice. What I do know is that one way from Memphis to Venice this July (peak season...last minute) starts at around $450 per person. The routing isn't ideal but if you're price conscious it's there.

Well, what I know is that since we are traveling in October of 2020, I looked at October 2019 same travel days and did the airfare and I came up with $1500 per person.  

19 minutes ago, chasinraynbowz said:

Well, what I know is that since we are traveling in October of 2020, I looked at October 2019 same travel days and did the airfare and I came up with $1500 per person.  

MEM-VCE in October 2019:

10/3/19
Cheapest - $496

Most convenient (MEM-ORD-VCE) - $934

10/10/19

Cheapest - $537

Most convenient (MEM-ORD-VCE) - $929

10/17/19
Cheapest - $532

Most convenient  (MEM-ORD-VCE) - $929

10/24/19

Cheapest - $568

17 hours ago, DaCruiseBug said:

MEM-VCE in October 2019:

10/3/19
Cheapest - $496

Most convenient (MEM-ORD-VCE) - $934

10/10/19

Cheapest - $537

10/17/19
Cheapest - $532

Most convenient  (MEM-ORD-VCE) - $929

10/24/19

Cheapest - $568

Thanks!  I was checking 10/10 and returning 10/20.  Check those dates please.  Oh, and I only want one stop.  Hubby can't handle more than that.

Thanks!

I book everything myself in every single case, excursions, flights, cruises, hotels, everything.

Except this time around, I took the flight included deal.

My take is this, the ability to find a lower price not withstanding:  The chances of something going wrong and causing a delay is exactly the same if you book with the cruise line as if you book the flight yourself.  It is unknowable. 

There are advantages to booking a flight yourself and they are 1) choosing dates and times, 2) shopping the price, 3) picking a seat (some airlines will still allow you to choose a seat once the ticket is purchased even if you book through the cruise line) and 4) purchasing your own flight insurance that has more coverage than what the cruise line will offer.

In my case, however getting the air for free made the difference between affording to take the cruise, and not.  So easy peezy choice for me.

But I'm a big proponant of booking ... EVERYTHING ... yourself.  There's not a single benefit to using a travel agent except that you just don't feel like doing it so you won't have to.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MotownVoice said:

I book everything myself in every single case, excursions, flights, cruises, hotels, everything.

My take is this, the ability to find a lower price not withstanding:  The chances of something going wrong and causing a delay is exactly the same if you book with the cruise line as if you book the flight yourself.  It is unknowable. 

There are advantages to booking a flight yourself and they are 1) choosing dates and times, 2) shopping the price, 3) picking a seat (some airlines will still allow you to choose a seat once the ticket is purchased even if you book through the cruise line) and 4) purchasing your own flight insurance that has more coverage than what the cruise line will offer.

In my case, however getting the air for free made the difference between affording to take the cruise, and not.  So easy peezy choice for me.

But I'm a big proponant of booking ... EVERYTHING ... yourself.  There's not a single benefit to using a travel agent except that you just don't feel like doing it so you won't have to.

One of the benefits I get booking through my travel agent is money. One cruise I got a check from them for $1,000 another one I have booked through them I will have $800 of on board credit. And on every cruise I book with them I either get money back or on board credit. Just back from a cruise Sunday and I will get back $400. Seems worth it to me.

On 3/25/2019 at 3:05 PM, IrieBajan54 said:

That is true when it comes to not taking the first leg on a flight. The airline immediately cancels the return leg. Just shows that the people at NCL are promoting a so-called Free-bee to fill cabins but know little if anything about the rules of flying. Telling a customer just not to show up is nothing short of ridiculous.

How about if NCL books you on two different airlines?  One there and one back?

54 minutes ago, MotownVoice said:

I have NEVER booked my air using the cruiseline.  I have always done it myself and never use a travel agent.   But when NCL quoted a much lower rate than I had found, I decided to take a chance.  My NCL travel person told me they do their best to only have one layover and always use major airlines.  We are flying in a couple of days early and flying home the day we debark.  

I was wanting to hear others experiences - both good and bad since I still have time to change my mind and book myself.  

22 hours ago, swmichigan cruiser said:

One of the benefits I get booking through my travel agent is money. One cruise I got a check from them for $1,000 another one I have booked through them I will have $800 of on board credit. And on every cruise I book with them I either get money back or on board credit. Just back from a cruise Sunday and I will get back $400. Seems worth it to me.

Coupons.  If anybody doesn't understand how the coupon scam works, then I leave in peace to feel like they've gotten something when their hands are completely empty.

43 minutes ago, MotownVoice said:

Coupons.  If anybody doesn't understand how the coupon scam works, then I leave in peace to feel like they've gotten something when their hands are completely empty.

Coupons who mentioned coupons? Our TA always have the same prices as the cruise line and then throws in the extra perks besides. Leave in peace maybe my hands are empty but my billfold isn't.

Hi All!  We (group of 10) also accepted the free airfair offer.  We stand to save a bundle on flights to Hawaii.  The cruise departs in 79 days.  When should I start looking for the flight details?  Do they send an email?  Is the flight information uploaded into your reservation details on ncl.com?

thanks,!

On 3/31/2019 at 5:41 PM, pixiedust777 said:

You do not own the air reservation even though it is in your name.

NCL owns it and when you go onto the airlines sites the only thing you can do is pick your seat. You cannot change or modify it.

I tried. Even called but I was told to call NCL as they are the owner of the ticket.

So, an update, I had the travel agency call and NCL agreed to allow us to come in the day before and waived the $50 charge because we're using Amex (It was Amex Travel).

They'll most likely use American Airlines for our ticket since American has a hub at DCA and in MIA.

We're both Gold Elite on American Airlines. I'm pretty sure I can same day standby for free once I have my ticket and that's what we'll do to/from if we don't like the flights we're on. 

23 hours ago, swmichigan cruiser said:

Coupons who mentioned coupons? Our TA always have the same prices as the cruise line and then throws in the extra perks besides. Leave in peace maybe my hands are empty but my billfold isn't.

But then you're not doing the research someone who books their own cruises and flights does.  So you're just taking your travel agents word for it. 

21 minutes ago, MotownVoice said:

But then you're not doing the research someone who books their own cruises and flights does.  So you're just taking your travel agents word for it. 

Who said I didn't also do my own research? I always look them up first and then contact her to see what her company offers. Maybe I haven't traveled as much as you but after 70 cruises or so I think I have a pretty good idea on how to research cruises. I'm leaving in peace you are obviously more travel experienced than I will ever be.

5 hours ago, MotownVoice said:

Yes we do. Most of the flights from NY to London are direct which is why I'm willing to let NCL book my flight. A lot depends on where you're flying from/to.

I would love to have a travel agent that offers extra perks and gives you the price reductions that NCL offers but I don't know anyone who does that. No one's advertising that kind of thing. In addition there's so many frauds, I'd rather not take that chance. It's good for those that have a good travel agent.

Edited by Cruise4Twos
added information at the end
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Cruise4Twos said:

Yes we do. Most of the flights from NY to London are direct which is why I'm willing to let NCL book my flight. A lot depends on where you're flying from/to.

I would love to have a travel agent that offers extra perks and gives you the price reductions that NCL offers but I don't know anyone who does that. No one's advertising that kind of thing. In addition there's so many frauds, I'd rather not take that chance. It's good for those that have a good travel agent.

I agree with you and this time because of the free/reduced air fare for $99 per person we are going to try it for our flights from Detroit to New York and return to Detroit from Seattle and if I don't like them I just will not use them and  our deal is for  a 21 night Panama  Canal cruise that starts in New York city and ends in Seattle. By the way perk from our TA for this cruise is $800 of on board credit. 

3 hours ago, Cruise4Twos said:

It's good for those that have a good travel agent.

Yeah, for all the "good" travel agents I've been referred to, I've had our last names misspelled MANY times. Not worth the hassle. I can book it myself in less time, and the time and aggravation saved is worth more than the $50 offered. 

On 3/25/2019 at 8:45 AM, ccream said:

Booked the March 3, 2019 cruise on the Breakaway because they were offering free air from Bradley Int'l in CT to MSY in New Orleans. Typically like to fly down the night before and give ourselves plenty of time, but offer only allowed for departure-day flights. They originally booked us on 6 am flight out of CT, with a layover in Atlanta, in New Orleans by 11:30 am. 4 am day of departure we received an email that the flight was delayed until noon. Was able to get rebooked on an earlier flight (10:30 am), departing Atlanta by 1:30 arriving at MSY by 2:30 (cutting it very close for 4 pm departure). 

Once we arrived in MSY it was close to 3, and there was a ground stop due to a lightning storm. There were two reps from Norwegian who told a group of about 30 of us who had been delayed from different parts of the country due to weather that if we wanted to make the ship we needed to leave our luggage behind for the week. NO offer to contact the ship to explain the situation, NO offering to help us in any way whatsoever. Just... if you want to make the ship we need to leave now without any of your luggage and hope that when you get back to the airport next week your luggage is still here.

As you can imagine this angered quite a few passengers who demanded they get on the phone with someone. Our saving grace was the bus driver on the transfer. He came in and calmed everyone down and said the ship wasn't going anywhere, that he was in contact with the port, and that we could wait for our luggage. He did everything in his power to make sure we all made it to the ship with our luggage and we arrived on board at about 4:55 pm. Was disgusted by the two women who initially "greeted" us and made us feel like it was our fault the weather prevented us from being on time.

My suggestion to the Norwegian spies reading this is that if you're going to offer free air, only offer direct flights, or have a package deal where you fly guests down the night before and put them up in a hotel. Would save passengers and staff a lot of aggravation. 

yup, thats why i wouldnt choose the free airfare perk.

not worth the headache.

plus i hate connecting flights

• 1 month later...
On 3/25/2019 at 12:25 PM, Always Cruising said:

With airline's change fee, it's $200 (or whatever any airline charges) plus any increase in fare at the time of the change.    NCL uses bulk fares, so they are lower than what a passenger can book on his/her own.  Some bulk fares have a no refund if cancelled  clause, too - so kinda risky to get NCL air and try to change after it's booked. 

There is flexibility to change the flight day up to 75 days before the cruise with NCL. If I would have booked the flight myself 3 months ago when the price was cheaper (similar to the NCL offer), I would be locked into a specific date or a $200 change fee plus any increase in fare at the time of the change. It took me 3 months, nevertheless I was able to talk my spouse into flying in 2 days early. NCL does not charge a change fee although there is a $25pp air deviation fee for flying in advance of the cruise day. That's a much better deal for me.

Edited by Cruise4Twos
added information at the end

I'm not a seasoned cruiser...our 3rd cruise is booked for June of 2020.  I'm trying to understand the "free air" promo as there will be budget minded people in our group.  I'm truly hoping some of you more seasoned travelers can help. Please forgive me if these are dumb questions.  

1.  There will be many in our group flying from Phoenix to Miami.  The "free or reduced air" promo offered is $99.00.  If someone chooses to add this to their booking, do they fly from Phoenix to Miami and from Miami to Phoenix for $99.00 or are they paying a $99.00 fee to have Norwegian book them on a flight that they still have to cover the cost of the flight that Norwegian chooses?

2.  I was under the assumption that since you booked your flight through Norwegian that you would be guaranteed to arrive to ship or ship would wait....kind of like an excursion.  After reading through the posts, I can now see that isn't true.  If you don't make the boat because of flight delays and you've booked through Norwegian do they guarantee to get you to the boat at the next port at no cost to you?

3.  I understand you can pay a deviation fee of $25-50 pp to arrive the day before.  In total you would be paying Norwegian the $99+$25=$124.  Again, like in question #1 is that the total for the price of a round trip ticket? or is it just a fee for them to book your flights and the flight that they choose for you, you pay in addition?

Thanks for your help!

On 4/17/2019 at 11:01 AM, drvmywifecrzy said:

How about if NCL books you on two different airlines?  One there and one back?

I'm not sure if this is what you mean...I am booked that way through Free at Sea - 2 different airlines BUT they are using one reservation number. So the scenario regarding cancelling the first leg of the flight is not in play (unless of course you try not showing up for one flight or the other).  So far, I'm pleased with the flight times and (unavoidable) layover times I have as well as the price.