Current Guide Prices in Havana

pyrrhus

Hi,

I have been talking to the different cuban tour company's that have availability on the day I will be in Havana.  Most are qutoing me prices in the 250-280 CUC range for a 6 hour tour that also includes a brief evening tour on the way to the Tropicana and then transport back to the ship.  When i read the threads the prices are much lower, usually about half.  Are people haggling over email?   Or did the prices jump up?  

You are probably  in the correct range for all day, plus an evening tour and transportation to the Tropicana and back. 

Blexie is  charging us 220 CUC from 10 AM  to midnight (break for dinner, etc), but we are not going out to the Tropicana, just some bar hopping and music locally in the evening. 

The prices you are seeing discussed here are for just the day tour. I doubt people would haggle, the prices are reasonable enough.

There are several threads here about round trip transport (only) to the Tropicana, you can do a search, if you prefer that option. 

Plus once you see and hear how the Cuban people live, only a selfish person would argue over a few dollars for people who have so little. 

JMO, of course. 

Eaton,

Sorry I didn’t want to give the impression I was trying to nickle and dime.  I just don’t want to be taken.   When I read posts that we paid 130cuc and went to the Tropicana that evening it had me concerned when guides were quoting me 280cuc.   

20 minutes ago, EatonDoolittle said:

You are probably  in the correct range for all day, plus an evening tour and transportation to the Tropicana and back. 

Blexie is  charging us 220 CUC from 10 AM  to midnight (break for dinner, etc), but we are not going out to the Tropicana, just some bar hopping and music locally in the evening. 

The prices you are seeing discussed here are for just the day tour. I doubt people would haggle, the prices are reasonable enough.

There are several threads here about round trip transport (only) to the Tropicana, you can do a search, if you prefer that option. 

Plus once you see and hear how the Cuban people live, only a selfish person would argue over a few dollars for people who have so little. 

JMO, of course. 

1 hour ago, pyrrhus said:

Eaton,

Sorry I didn’t want to give the impression I was trying to nickle and dime.  I just don’t want to be taken.  

Oh, I absolutely agree - and I wasn't implying that you were going cheap-o. My comment was just an aside, I guess, directed at no one in particular. 

You have a legit question about the difference in costs that you were getting quoted, and reading about here. 

But, again, I think the difference you are seeing is the day tour, plus night tour, plus round trip to the Trop, as opposed to the day tour only. 

Even tho the guide  and driver are sitting around while you are at the show, the tour operator is no doubt factoring in their payment, along with the car's associated costs. 

Only you can decide if it is worth the extra 150 CUC to have the same guide stay with you all the time, and to have the extra tour in the evening. It does seem a bit high.  Does it include dinner anywhere?  What else is he going to show you after dark?  130 CUC for the day tours is about average. 

I personally would choose a company for a day tour, go back to the ship for dinner and a shower, and then just find a taxi to go to the Tropicana and back.  Other posts indicate that is is easy to do.

IF you keep the same guide day and night of course it is more expensive.

We are going with HavanaMemories, custom tour 5hrs ish 4 people,car- 130cucs

I also like them because they have WhatsApp in addition to e mail.

I am not interested in the Tropicana but like the music of the Buena Vista Social Club old timers.

We are going on a tour to hear that music with our cruise because it is free and comes with the cruise.

There is also a company, Strawberry, that does free walking tours in the daytime and a free nightlife tour where you just pay what you wish at the end.

We are not using them because we are in on a Sunday night when they don't offer that night tour.

Lots of choices!!!