Handicapped Oahu - way too early planning

Buckimion

Wife and I are booked on the Carnival Miracle in Feb of 2021. Due to a stroke and right leg amputation, I cannot manage more than a few steps on my own and plan on taking a scooter. None of Carnival's general Oahu excursion listings are noted as handicapped accessible so I'm looking for options on a private/semi-private tour that will pick up at our cruise pier, take us to a handful of assorted sights TBD (possibly any combination of Dole (worthwhile after seeing Maui tropical plantation?), Pearl Harbor (Aviation museum), North Shore shrimp trucks, Byodo-in, drive-by highlights and 'local goods' shopping) with the final destination being drop off at Chief's Luau. (Uber Access return after the show?)

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumThere is a "Cruising with Disability" forum on this site.....find it.  It's VERY useful!  They can point you to specific threads that my be relevant to YOUR trip.  Hawaii has all the ADA stuff that the rest of the country does....it is a State!

I hope the link helps!

I'm a regular on that board. While they are good at carping about a lack of HA cabins and not leaving scooters in the hall, they are less useful than my amputated limb when it comes to ports and excursions. 🙄

I went to Trip Advisor to see if they had any links. See if any of this helps.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28932-c155411/Hawaii:United-States:Hawaii.For.Travelers.With.Disabilities.html

I would also ask on the Oahu forum of TA, they are very helpful.  Would you be able to rent a car? Here is a trip report that might be of some help. It mentions PH and other places that may or may not be accessible.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29222-i37-k9592406-TR_Oahu_with_Mobility_Issues-Oahu_Hawaii.html

Edited by Beachiekeen

We sailed to Alaska last summer with our daughter who has cerebral palsy. She uses a wheelchair for longer distances (basically anything other than walking at home). I had to do a lot of pre-planning and questions asking, and overall we had MUCH better service and accommodation booking independent, small group excursions. I would start with some of the independent tour operators in Oahu that are recommended on TA or on the Oahu board, and email them with the specifics of your needs.

Good luck! It was a lot of work to plan, but absolutely worth it.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
13 hours ago, Buckimion said:

No one there has a lift-equipped vehicle. Current plans are now to take advantage of "The Bus" ADA service on a visitor pass to spend the day just at the PCC.

Does "the Bus" that travels around Honolulu not have a lift? I should think they do, but have not needed to search. If so, you could use it to get to Pearl Harbor to do the tour, see the Visitor Center, etc. Then board another bus and get off somewhere near Waikiki to shop/explore/eat, before returning to the ship. Just an idea. Not sure of the logistics.

FWIW, I had a similar experience with the Disability board here on CC. Lots of complaining, but very little useful and helpful logistical advice. Good luck with your planning for HI.

"The Bus" is/was an option, but I was hoping for something a little less time consuming. ADA service, while still considered "shared ride", in my experience rarely handles more than 3 passenger groups at a time (often just me). They also don't make the frequent stops. When I started my planning, I didn't realize that my local ADA service card was valid nationwide during short-term visits. Having already touched base and confirming the participation, when I get closer to the travel date, I just have to contact the agencies I need and let them know of my desired trips.

• Like 1