Coco at snorkeling

vacationlover_mn

My friend will be at Cococay next month.  His family might be interested in snorkeling, but they don’t own their own gear.  A few questions...

1) do they rent just the gear on the island?  If so, how much, and how is the snorkeling just off the island?

2) how much are snorkel excursions?

3) anyone been scared by a shark there?

On 3/27/2019 at 5:37 PM, vacationlover_mn said:

My friend will be at Cococay next month.  His family might be interested in snorkeling, but they don’t own their own gear.  A few questions...

1) do they rent just the gear on the island?  If so, how much, and how is the snorkeling just off the island?

1. Yes they rent. But I do not know the price since we had our own.  I read a sign that said snorkel vests mandatory, but I did not see every child wearing it.  Snorkeling is pretty wow.....not like in Bonaire of course, but pretty good for Bahamas standard. I would say take water shoes but not absolutely necessary. Best snorkeling is to the left as you enter. There will be signs.
2. Did not do an excursion, it is very easy to do it from the shore and is quite shallow. If you ask the person at the renting booth,    they will give you a map of interesting things to see while snorkeling. They are very helpful even if you do not rent from them.
3. Didn't see a shark, but some kiddos were getting very excited at seeing a couple of sand sharks.  Lot of sting rays minding their business, pencil fish very close to shore and the usual small fish. Couple of big yellow tails. Lot of angel fish.

I think they will enjoy it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/27/2019 at 5:37 PM, vacationlover_mn said:

We were just there this week.  Rental price is $20 for mask, fins, and vest.  We bring our own masks & vests.  Price to rent fins only is still $20.