Choice of Photography Equipment

jimcat

Mary, the B&H website, a highly respected NYC camera dealer, has a list of lenses that are compatible with the Canon 1.4X and 2X extender, and the 75-300 isn't included.

Since you already have the 75-300, I'd just go with it and not worry about getting another lens. As Jim pointed out the Rebel XT has a 1.6 factor, which gives the equivalent of 480mm in 35mm film terms.

OldCodger, my dad has offered to give me all of his Canon lenses. He has a nice little camera/equipment collection, but is kind of tired of always being the one behind the camera. I think he is trying to get me to take his place. :) So far, I've only relieved him of his speedlite.

I don't want to take 50 pounds of camera equipment to Alaska. So, if I were to take one just more lens (besides 18-55, 75-300), what should it be??

I have had this camera 2 years and love it. I am taking 3 lenses to Alaska. I have the 18-55, a 75-300 and I bought a wide angle when we visited New York this summer. I would highly recommend the wide angle so you can get more scenery in your shot. I just bought a new memory card on Amazon also. I like the SanDisk Ultra II 1GB cards. They had one on special for $90 plus a $20 rebate and no shipping.

Our local camera shop is offering a class for this camera next month and two other friends and I have signed up for it. I never have learned to use all the bells and whistles, so I hope to learn something new.

OldCodger, my dad has offered to give me all of his Canon lenses. He has a nice little camera/equipment collection, but is kind of tired of always being the one behind the camera. I think he is trying to get me to take his place. :) So far, I've only relieved him of his speedlite.

I don't want to take 50 pounds of camera equipment to Alaska. So, if I were to take one just more lens (besides 18-55, 75-300), what should it be??

What other lenses are avialable to you? Any filters? I like taking my Cokin filters along.. I got some neat shots on the Grand Princess sailing NE/ Canada trip with the filters attached

Didn't know my name changed to "Jim"! LOL!

I'm the one who pointed out the 1.6X difference in sensor vs. lense. I would be very careful with EF lenses from "other Canon" cameras (especially film). Try many shots with YOUR Rebel XT and the Canon lenses you'll "inherit" before thinking they'll do the job for you. Some of the older lenses simply don't "work that well" with the new technology!

My thought is to take the lens you have 70 - 300, a short focal lense like a 17-40 or close to that, and a mid range 24 -70mm. If you can swing a new IS (Image Stabilization) lense, that would be great for when the boat is rocking! Taking too much is heavy and a big theft risk as well. Make sure your insurance covers your camera equipment while you are on travel. Too much money to lose in one swoop!

http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/enjoydslr/index.html

This is a web site for a great intro class for using a canon slr digital. I am taking on our Alaska trip a canon eos 20D body and two lens, an EFS 17-85 mm f/4-5.6 IS USM and a EF 70-300 mm f/4-5.6 IS USM. I think that will give me both a wide angle zoom and something that will reach. I also do most of my camera shopping at B&H Photo. They have a great help section where you can call in and talk to a person who will help you with camera problems or decisions. This thread was talking about filters and I wonder if anyone has any thoughts about just leaving a UV filter on instead of a polerized one. I don't have a lot of experiance in shooting over snow and ice and working with the glare has me concerned. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/enjoydslr/index.html

This is a web site for a great intro class for using a canon slr digital. I am taking on our Alaska trip a canon eos 20D body and two lens, an EFS 17-85 mm f/4-5.6 IS USM and a EF 70-300 mm f/4-5.6 IS USM. I think that will give me both a wide angle zoom and something that will reach. I also do most of my camera shopping at B&H Photo. They have a great help section where you can call in and talk to a person who will help you with camera problems or decisions. This thread was talking about filters and I wonder if anyone has any thoughts about just leaving a UV filter on instead of a polerized one. I don't have a lot of experiance in shooting over snow and ice and working with the glare has me concerned. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

this link may help

http://shutterbug.com/refreshercourse/travel_tips/1204lesson/

You're going to love your 20D Canon! The lenses you propose to take are all great and I'm sure they will serve you well.

The website you suggested is terrific and I've suggested it in another thread about photography as well. Definitely understanding the camera is the first step to taking great pictures.

One of the biggest mistakes most folks make, when it comes to SLR cameras (digital), is to take it on vacation to learn how to use it. Take tons of pictures before you go, with each of your lenses, to see how they perform in all kinds of light situations. The 20D is really fabulous. Make sure none of the lenses have "auto focus" issues early. Some folks have had to send their lenses back to Canon for recalibration. You can read more about this on http://www.depreview.com

The forums are extremely helpful and most of the folks will give you some very good information i.e., lenses, filters, ect. Lots of pro photographers frequent this site. You can also learn about new updates in firmware, etc.

I love the people at B&H. They are really helpful and know their business well.

• 1 month later...
You can read more about this on http://www.depreview.com

The forums are extremely helpful and most of the folks will give you some very good information i.e., lenses, filters, ect. Lots of pro photographers frequent this site. You can also learn about new updates in firmware, etc.

I love the people at B&H. They are really helpful and know their business well.

Good afternoon.

For some reason, the above link isn't working for me.......

I want to purchase a digital camera for Alaska. I already have a tiny Casio and my DH has an Olympus 10X; 3MP and I have another Olympus I can have access to -- C4000 Olympus Camedia.

I don't want to spend more than $500 on a camera, but I want something that will really work well while I'm away. My biggest problem with both of our cameras is the time-delay, which I know will be a big problem with wildlife.

I would buy more accessories for the Olympus Camedia C4000 Zoom, since I can probably convince my mom to give me it. Would that be the best route? or should I go for a whole new camera?

I should also say: I really don't know much about cameras and like auto-focus. I would learn how to use anything, but I would rather have something that I could use with wild-life... I was adept at my older film-cameras.

Thanks!

tapia - for a particularly good point-and-shoot, have a look at the Canon Pwerrshpt S2 - http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Canon/canon_s2is.asp

My wife has the S1 and we both love it - the S2 is a much better camera than the S1. I was looking seriously at buying one, but went for the much more expensive Canon Digital Rebel XT - even though at 3x the price, it doesn't have Image Stabilization.

Murray

Good afternoon.

I want to purchase a digital camera for Alaska. I already have a tiny Casio and my DH has an Olympus 10X; 3MP and I have another Olympus I can have access to -- C4000 Olympus Camedia.

I don't want to spend more than $500 on a camera, but I want something that will really work well while I'm away. My biggest problem with both of our cameras is the time-delay, which I know will be a big problem with wildlife.

I would buy more accessories for the Olympus Camedia C4000 Zoom, since I can probably convince my mom to give me it. Would that be the best route? or should I go for a whole new camera?

I should also say: I really don't know much about cameras and like auto-focus. I would learn how to use anything, but I would rather have something that I could use with wild-life... I was adept at my older film-cameras.

Thanks!

Some Olympus cameras can use a tcon-17 lens

The following models require the CLA-1 and 43-55mm Step-Up Ring (not included): C-2000 / 2020 / 2040 / 3000 / 3020 / 3030 / 3040 / 4000 / 4040 / 5050

so it looks like yours could use this lens.. I do not know the specifics on the c 4000. such as how much of a zoom you have now.. but the tcon-17 does extend the zoom by 1.7 times

I am going to take one with my camera.

My thoughts, learn what you have especially manual mode.. before you go.

I've skimmed this thread, and I have to admit, I don't understand MOST of what you camera-savy posters have said...

...but I can figure out that you guys know what you are talking about, so HELP ME!

Before our Alaska trip, DH and I have decided to buy ourselves a new camera. We are staying at the Tek campground in Denali and also doing the Hallo Bay bear viewing. I figure if we are spending $1100 to see the bears, we might as well take decent pictures of them!

We have never bought a real camera before, all we've ever owned are "point and shoots." We are looking to spend no more than $1500 including lenses and accessories. We really want digital, since most of our pictures never leave digital format anyways, and after research I've learned enough to know that this will be D-SLR. I know we need to spend a nice chunk of change on lenses too.

What should we buy? Please suggest camera and lenses for us!

LMCruise - you should only go for a D-SLR if you really want to get into photography seriously. For 95% of shooters, a digital point-and-shoot is exactly what they need. Unless you're shooting for sale or do huge prints, why spend $1500 when $500 does the job well?

Murray

I found a place in Florida that rents lenses such as the 100 - 400 for a Canon mount. Very nice to deal with, although you can't put in a reservation, it is based on first come, first serve. I have no connection whatsoever with this place. Although they are a little expensive, it is a lot cheaper and more feasible than buying the lense! http://www.rentglass.com

Celia:

Thanks for posting this. I have been toying with the idea of buying the Canon 400mm f/5.6L for the trip for my 20D, but it is a bit pricey. I'll need to think about it a bit more, but I can rent this thing for 3 weeks at 1/10 the cost of buying. The problem is I will probably like it too much, and then go out an buy it anyway. :D Boys and their toys, you know. ;)

LMCruise - you should only go for a D-SLR if you really want to get into photography seriously. For 95% of shooters, a digital point-and-shoot is exactly what they need. Unless you're shooting for sale or do huge prints, why spend $1500 when $500 does the job well?

Murray

To be totally honest, my DH is convinced we need the SLR for the speed and for the lenses. We are animal people and do a lot of wildlife and bird watching. We plan on a trip to the galapagos after our trip to Alaska. He got his hands on a friend's camera (whose father is of course, a wildlife photographer!) and that's all he wants now. He is interested in photography as a hobby.

I was thinking about the Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT (8MP), the lowest on the range of Canon SLR cameras. I haven't had a chance to check out other brands yet.

I've skimmed this thread, and I have to admit, I don't understand MOST of what you camera-savy posters have said...

...but I can figure out that you guys know what you are talking about, so HELP ME!

Before our Alaska trip, DH and I have decided to buy ourselves a new camera. We are staying at the Tek campground in Denali and also doing the Hallo Bay bear viewing. I figure if we are spending $1100 to see the bears, we might as well take decent pictures of them!

We have never bought a real camera before, all we've ever owned are "point and shoots." We are looking to spend no more than $1500 including lenses and accessories. We really want digital, since most of our pictures never leave digital format anyways, and after research I've learned enough to know that this will be D-SLR. I know we need to spend a nice chunk of change on lenses too.

What should we buy? Please suggest camera and lenses for us!

I have always been partial to Canon. My recommendation would be to go with the Canon Digital Rebel XT without the kit lens ($699 at http://www.bhphotovideo.com/ ) , the Sigma 18-200 F3.5-6.3 DC Zoom (around $300 or so), the Canon Speedlight 420EX (around $170), and then decide whether you want to go longer (telephoto) or wider (wide angle). My suggestion would be longer for wildlife opportunities. That having been said, it might make more sense to rent a friggin' spectacular lens for the time you are away like the Canon 300 or 400 mm L series lenses (they are typicall white lenses instead of the traditional black), such as the Canon EF 300mm f/4L, for like $40 a week. The main advantage is that a "prime lens", meaning NOT a zoom, will generally be sharper and have more contrast than their zoom counterparts. The drawback is that they are what they are, which is a single focal length lens. You can check out user reviews at http://www.fredmiranda.com and http://www.photographyreview.com.

Don't forget to get filts to cover your expense glass - a simple skylight filter is fine. You will also need a decent camera bag to lug your new toys.

If you go with a lens like a compact 18 - 200, you have many arrows in your quiver and you will most likely have a significantly better time taking pictures than with a point and shoot, but keep in mind that with a zoom thre is always a trade-off. That having been said, from a price/performance standpoint and working within your budget,I think this will be a killer combo, with $$$ to spare to rent a lens, and buy your filters and gadgets.

Have fun shopping.

Thanks!

Here's what I just bought after doing LOTS of research both online and with some of our local photographers. (Background for my decision). I'm not into trying to be a "serious" photographer, just want a simple "point and shoot" digital camera that will give decent shots on our Alaska trip. Priorities were: (1) ease of use (2) compatibility with existing equipment (could I use some of the same memory, etc.) (3) a super zoom capability (at least 10x) and (4) a fast "next shot"speed for all those "whale tale" shots. I narrowed my choices to the Panasonic DMC-FZ5K and CANON S2. I ended up getting a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ5K. So far it's been more than I could have hoped for - easy to use, fantastic shots, image stabilizer works beautifully and the zoom is incredible. It's quite a bit lighter than the Canon, much faster focusing and nearly $100 cheaper. I did look at the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ20K, but it was larger, more expensive and I feel the extra features it has might only appeal to the "serious" photographer. Hope my experience helps!

Well Some of the Digital S LRS have gotten cheaper with lenses.. The Nikon for example with 2 lenses is under 1000, with one lens 699

Fuji s 9000 digital not a digital slr can be had for about 450

Canon Digtal SLR with a lens for bout 799

check the net.. check the stores

NIKON D50 6.1 Megapixel SLR Digital Camera Kit w/ 18-55mm & 55-200 DX Zoom Nikkor LensOrder Today!Catalog # NKD9988 function doflsp() { document.flsp.submit(); return true; } Everyday Low Price: $819.95

they are now up to the D70 Nikon is

Nikon D70s SLR Digital Camera w/ 18-70mm F3.5-4.5G AF-S DX Lens

button_cart.gif

Availability: In Stock: Usually Ships in 1 to 2 business days. </SPAN>Price:</SPAN> $929.00</SPAN></SPAN>

the d50 would work well for you

It looks like a lot of people go for the Canon S2.

@dderm: Do you know what the S2 has that the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ5Kdidn't have? For $100 more, it had to have something, right?

@Yukon: Why did you decide on the Canon Digital Rebel XT?

@jimcat: Right now the Olympus has 3/10X zoom. For all the specifications, this website lists them well: http://www.steves-digicams.com/2002_reviews/c4000.html

I'm also an avid traveler when work and I can afford for me to take vacations. I want to go to Galapagos for my next trip, but that could be quite a while. (maybe 5-10 years or so) I'm still not sure if I'm better off just using a lense for the Olympus that I have or getting something new now. I really like photography and it could turn out to become a hobby, but I just don't have time for it (other than vacation) at the moment.

I may be persuaded to spend more, if it was worth it....

Thanks for everyone's help!

It looks like a lot of people go for the Canon S2.

@dderm: Do you know what the S2 has that the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ5Kdidn't have? For $100 more, it had to have something, right?

@Yukon: Why did you decide on the Canon Digital Rebel XT?

@jimcat: Right now the Olympus has 3/10X zoom. For all the specifications, this website lists them well: http://www.steves-digicams.com/2002_reviews/c4000.html

I'm also an avid traveler when work and I can afford for me to take vacations. I want to go to Galapagos for my next trip, but that could be quite a while. (maybe 5-10 years or so) I'm still not sure if I'm better off just using a lense for the Olympus that I have or getting something new now. I really like photography and it could turn out to become a hobby, but I just don't have time for it (other than vacation) at the moment.

I may be persuaded to spend more, if it was worth it....

Thanks for everyone's help!

C-4000 Zoom's Olympus all-glass 6.5mm-19.5mm f2.8-f11 lens (the equivalent of 32-96mm in 35mm photography, so with a tcon-17 it still would fall short for wildlife

I have a 10x optical which gives me a 370mm and the 1.7 makes it about a 620mm zoom (10x optical zoom (equivalent to a 37-370mm on a 35mm camera)

yours is a 3 x optical. If wildlife photography is one of your concerns, which I think you mentioned it may be. I think you need to have something at least (min) equivalent to a 400mm lens.

C-4000 Zoom's Olympus all-glass 6.5mm-19.5mm f2.8-f11 lens (the equivalent of 32-96mm in 35mm photography, so with a tcon-17 it still would fall short for wildlife

I have a 10x optical which gives me a 370mm and the 1.7 makes it about a 620mm zoom (10x optical zoom (equivalent to a 37-370mm on a 35mm camera)

yours is a 3 x optical. If wildlife photography is one of your concerns, which I think you mentioned it may be. I think you need to have something at least (min) equivalent to a 400mm lens.

What would you recommend getting then? I wonder what makes the Olympus C-4000 about $500 on sites, wow. Would the Canon S2 work? Do you think whatever I decide to get will be still good (in terms of technology & camera-life) in 10 years?

I'd be willing to spend more if I knew it would be fabulous.....

Thank you for telling me about the lense!!

>>Do you think whatever I decide to get will be still good (in terms of technology & camera-life) in 10 years?<<

It depends on what you get and how you shoot. My Nikon digital was about worn out after 3 years of hard use and shooting 11,000 images, which is why I was shopping again 3 months ago. My wife's Canon S1 should still be a good camera in 10 years - she's gentler and takes 1/10th the number of pictures I do. I would never buy anything but a top-brand camera, in the belief (and experience) that you get what you pay for. I owned fairly high-end Pentax and Nikon film cameras starting in 1966, stayed with Nikon for my first digital, then moved to Canon when Nikon quit keeping up with others in digital technology. The decision to get the Digital Rebel was too complicated to even recall, but the fact that I pay for my cameras by selling pictures allowed me to go the extra $$ to a DSLR.

Murray

Archived