Choice of Photography Equipment

jimcat

Hi there... I do not know if any one has started an Alaska Thread regarding their preferences with a camera?

Do you just take a digital? 35 mm slr? what extra lenses? if your using a film camera.. what film do you prefer?

Thanks, if it has been posted elsewhere, please direct me to that thread

Jim, I shoot photos for sale and for that I do shoot with 35mm slr with 100sp. velvia and a selection of lenses, I like the 28 to 135 zoom for my favorite, next I like the 17-35mm and then a long zoom and a mix of close up lenses. For fun all around shooting I do shoot with a digital, just for my own albums. For the film shooters I would suggest a 400sp. Fuji film because it is fast enough for low light and action. What ever the choice just enjoy it and try to think composition.

In Alaska you really need at least a 300mm lens if you want any wildlife. I am an old manual film use operator. :) But last year took Murray's advice (Yukon) and purchased a Canon IS S-2 digital. It was a good choice for the relatively low cost with plenty of options for adjustment and no delay.

Here are some photos as an example. (not the Winter one however) http://community.webshots.com/user/budgetqueen

I'm taking my Panasonic FZ-5 in May. I LOVE my old Canon Rebel XS with all the zoom and macro lenses and all the different filters, but I'm into "instant" gratification these days:). Wish I could afford a digital Rebel, but can't just yet and still cruise. The FZ-5 has a 12X optical zoom, so I think it'll be just fine. I'm trying to decide if I need to purchase a polarizing filter for it. Any suggestions?

Jim, I shoot photos for sale and for that I do shoot with 35mm slr with 100sp. velvia and a selection of lenses, I like the 28 to 135 zoom for my favorite, next I like the 17-35mm and then a long zoom and a mix of close up lenses. For fun all around shooting I do shoot with a digital, just for my own albums. For the film shooters I would suggest a 400sp. Fuji film because it is fast enough for low light and action. What ever the choice just enjoy it and try to think composition.

I used velvia before as well.. I have a 75-200 zoom with a 2 x converter. I presume that would be ok for most wildlife?

I have 2 Konica bodies and one Fuji Digital with a 10x optical zoom on that.

I have a variety of lenses.. and fiilters.. I do think a circular polarizer would work well in Alaska.

Any other filters or should I just lug it all? Hard to pack a tripod on the plane and lug that too

Thanks

I use a Nikon D70 digital camera with a couple of interchangeable lenses. An excellent camera but Canon has a comparable one too. This is a fairly expensive digital camera but takes excellent photos.

Jim, I always take a tripod, for most travel I will take a very light one, remove the head and it should pack well in your travel bag. Also good to use is a bean bag or one of those neck pillows you find in travel stores, Cracker Barrel has some that work well. Only problem with a converter is you need faster film or open up all the way because you will lose a couple of stops of light. As far as a polarizer, yes, for sharpening color and taking out glare a must. I do like to also use a 2step ND filter and an 81a or 81b when I'm around a lot of green as in the forest or when I want to soften the light.

fti, you are so right about the D7O, a great camera, and good to stay with Nikon.

We'll be taking the round trip Vancouver Glacier Bay Inside Passage cruise July 5. I'm planning on taking my Canon Rebel XT, 10-22 zoom, 17-85 zoom, 135L, possibly a 100-400 zoom plus a batch of memory cards. I'll also take an old digital point and shoot camera for time when I don't want to use the larger DSLR.

Maybe someone can answer this question. We're not going to do any touring of the interior, saving that for another time. Is there enough marine, animal and bird life to see from the ship or during shore excursions to make bringing the 100-400 worthwhile?

I'm taking my Panasonic FZ-5 in May. I LOVE my old Canon Rebel XS with all the zoom and macro lenses and all the different filters, but I'm into "instant" gratification these days:). Wish I could afford a digital Rebel, but can't just yet and still cruise. The FZ-5 has a 12X optical zoom, so I think it'll be just fine. I'm trying to decide if I need to purchase a polarizing filter for it. Any suggestions?

Last year I used my Cannon PowerShot A95/5.0 Mega Pixels and just loved it. Only negative was for wildlife and realized how having a better zoom lens is a big plus. My husband bought me a FZ-5 Panasonic with 12X lens so I think I will be in great shape for wildlife too for our upcoming trip to Alaska in May.

I'm sure you can figure out from my above words that I'm not technical at all. I am however super at editing pictures. I use both Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Photoshop Elements. You asked about a polarizing filter. I'm pretty sure what I do with photoshop compensates for not havinga polarizing filter. Some pics have a haze over them, especially pics taken from Flightseeing excursions. To take care of that I use Levels, using the eyedropper tool and the results are often dramatic. I've also learned that using the slider on levels (or sometimes a combination of both) often accomplishes the same thing.

Am I correct in what the polarizing filter does? If so I have a feeling Adobe Elements is a lot cheaper!

Sharon

To really understand just what a polarizer does , is if you have a pair of good polarized sunglasses, look at any subject like the blue sky or green trees or anything outside that has good color without your glasses, then put them on then off then on again and look at the difference that they make, this is what a polarizer filter will do to all your images.

Here are two pic's I took with my FZ5. The first one is no zoom:

http://www.clubleadclays.com/m-n-m/magicgallery/M-N-M_019.jpg

The second one is with 12x optical zoom:

http://www.clubleadclays.com/m-n-m/magicgallery/M-N-M_020.jpg

Here's a link to the rest of them:

http://www.clubleadclays.com/m-n-m/jan06.htm

brad g.

Thanks, everyone, for the tips and suggestions--especially for posting those pictures. I guess I need to go shopping for a couple of filters. Now to decide whether to get a circular polarizer or a linear (I've heard that linears can be used with digital cameras, but I guess I'll just have to check it out). I've also heard of several people using the ND filters (for waterfalls, etc), so I may get one of those. If you don't already know about it--check out http://www.dcresource.com. The forums offer a lot of info--some good, some bad.

I found a place in Florida that rents lenses such as the 100 - 400 for a Canon mount. Very nice to deal with, although you can't put in a reservation, it is based on first come, first serve. I have no connection whatsoever with this place. Although they are a little expensive, it is a lot cheaper and more feasible than buying the lense! http://www.rentglass.com

Filters fit on the lens adapter of the FZ-5,HOWEVER, I had a problem with the Quantaray filter (UV) because the adapter has about a 1 mm "lip" on it and the Quantaray filters don't have many threads so it wouldn't stay on. I did find a Cokin UV filter that works fine. I've also read that you can "sand" off this 1 mm part without damaging the adapter and filters work just fine. I haven't had the courage to do this yet:), but I may try it.

For those of you who have a FZ5 and are having trouble with the filters "falling off", I finally got the nerve to take off about 1 mm of the "lip" on the lens adapter. It works beautifully! And it sure doesn't take much sanding to get it to fit. Just keep trying a VERY little bit at a time. I used 100 grit sandpaper. Maybe Panasonice will fix this little detail:)

Thanks, everyone, for the tips and suggestions--especially for posting those pictures. I guess I need to go shopping for a couple of filters. Now to decide whether to get a circular polarizer or a linear (I've heard that linears can be used with digital cameras, but I guess I'll just have to check it out). I've also heard of several people using the ND filters (for waterfalls, etc), so I may get one of those. If you don't already know about it--check out www.dcresource.com. The forums offer a lot of info--some good, some bad.

I been reading a lot about a combo filter the HOYA Moose's Filter - Circular Polarizing and Warm (81A) combined

I may get one of those.. who knows :0

Jim

I carried my Nikon 8008s, 28-85,70-200, 20, 400 system with me on last Alaska cruise. I also took new Oly C-750 digital, but I have found that it doesnt handle indoors, low light, or speed situations such as whale breeches particulary well without a tripod. It is great in bright sun. I also took monopod on last trip but sent it home after bear viewing day trip. For film I use 200 and 400 fuji or kodak. Also polorizers. I also take a digital Sony Trv 30 video camera. My wife carries a Pentax IQ 160 in addition to the video camera.

Here a a few photos from Alaska.

http://community.webshots.com/user/jq4653

Tinkerme1,

I went with hallobay.com. They are the only outfit with live in bear camp on Homer side of Katmai. Staff and campers live there in tents from May-Oct. Check out their website. Ready to go again, but still want to experience Brooks Falls at least once.

This is a great thread!

I have a Canon Rebel XT, and I'm very much a novice. So....if I have a 75-300 (I do), would I really need a 100-400 in Alaska??

Not familiar with all the Canon products.. I presume the Canon rebel XT is one of the Canon family digital SLR cameras.

In that case a 2x II Extender may work for you. The EF 2x II doubles the focal length of any lens it's mounted to, and reduces its effective aperture by two stops. With the EF 2x II, AF is possible with any EOS body if the lens has an f/2.8 or faster maximum aperture, and compatible Image Stabilization lenses maintain the IS feature when used with any current EOS camera

I think your current lens is the Canon 75-300 F/4.5-6 III USM SLR , if you stayed with Canon lenses

They also have a Extender EF 1.4x II, which would work better perhaps as it reduced only 1 aperature stop.

So use it in bright days.. :)

My guess, is that if you have the 75-300, you may have enough since the sensor is a 1.6x the depth of field, effectively giving you a longer range. An extender would be great, but remember that will take away almost 2 stops of light. Try first without the extender.:D

Archived