Choice of Photography Equipment

jimcat

tapia: The Sony H1 has gone through several iterations. The H5 was announced Feb. 25 of this year. Both the Canon S3 and the H5 are very comparable, and I would certainly like to get my hands on both before making a clear decision. Again, some folks prefer Canon, some like Sony. Based on specs, I would probably go out on a limb and say the H5 is a little bit more robust, but is lacking certain functions I would prefer.

If you go to http://dprevew.com and then click on Cameras and then read where you can view side-by-side comparisons of two cameras or more, it will help you in your decision process. Personally, I'd like to hold each of them and see which "feels better" and then compare quality build and photos. Since they are both new and "just coming out", you may have to wait until next month to see them. Find a good quality photo store in your area.....they will "probably" receive them first.

If this post shows up more than once, I'm soooo sorry, but it just doesn't show at this time. Hate to lose what I posted, so here it is:

tapia: The Sony H1 has gone through several iterations. The H5 was announced Feb. 25 of this year. Both the Canon S3 and the H5 are very comparable, and I would certainly like to get my hands on both before making a clear decision. Again, some folks prefer Canon, some like Sony. Based on specs, I would probably go out on a limb and say the H5 is a little bit more robust, but is lacking certain functions I would prefer.

If you go to http://dprevew.com and then click on Cameras and then read where you can view side-by-side comparisons of two cameras or more, it will help you in your decision process. Personally, I'd like to hold each of them and see which "feels better" and then compare quality build and photos. Since they are both new and "just coming out", you may have to wait until next month to see them. Find a good quality photo store in your area.....they will "probably" receive them first.

If this post shows up more than once, I'm soooo sorry, but it just doesn't show at this time. Hate to lose what I posted, so here it is:

Thank you for the information! I'm going to check the Canon S3 and the Sony H5 both on the website. I would much rather 'hold' them as well!

How long do you think it will take the "S4" and the "H6" to come out?? I would really like to start learning the camera I buy and think it will take a while to learn all the features on a camera like either of the above as soon as I can.

Thank you for the information! I'm going to check the Canon S3 and the Sony H5 both on the website. I would much rather 'hold' them as well!

How long do you think it will take the "S4" and the "H6" to come out?? I would really like to start learning the camera I buy and think it will take a while to learn all the features on a camera like either of the above as soon as I can.

Tapia: I think you are going to find that the H2 and H5 are slightly different ($100 less for H2) but H5 is definitely worth looking at (Carl Zeiss Lens and 12X Optical). The H5 will sell for $499.00; the H2 around $399.00. It, unfortunately, will not be available until May.

The S3 is scheduled to come out sometime in April and I would definitely check with the BIG camera stores to ask when they expect it in. You'll probably need to put yourself on a waiting list since so many out there are looking to this camera for vacation. You don't have to buy, just put your name on the list. I have done this for the Canon 30D and was just notified that it would come in this week. I'm really happy! I'll ask about the S3 when I pick-up my "baby".

I've been in your position before when looking for a camera for a trip, and I realize that with technology changes, I buy a camera every three years or so. I do believe that if you can wait, and then find a store that can provide you both cameras to see up close and personal, you'll be much happier. Maybe you won't have all the time to study your new camera, but I believe that there is plenty of time to take pictures and learn as you go, then study and determine what you did right/wrong. My Hawaii pictures were good, but not great, my European pictures were fabulous, and Panama Canal was outstanding. Learning curves being what they are, take your time and enjoy whatever it is you choose.

BTW, I've really enjoyed all the information here. Thanks to all for contributing! I continue to learn something new everyday!

BTW, I've really enjoyed all the information here. Thanks to all for contributing! I continue to learn something new everyday!

I TOTALLY SECOND THIS!

Actually, I'm not going away until Summer 2007, so I really do have some time. Given, I really want to have time to study the camera and use it for a few occassions before hand though. I'll put my name on the waiting list and will look when I can 'feel' both. THANKS!

For those looking at Canon products, consider waiting a week.

We went to our oh so awesome (meaning, they NEARLY match internet prices) local camera shop today to buy a Canon Rebel XT kit with 55mm, and a 300mm IS lens. They already had the list of April 1 rebates available--$100 off of the Rebel XT and $35 off of the 300 IS lens.

We wanted to buy them TODAY (camera shop will post date the receipt for the rebate-love these guys!). We called yesterday to see if they had both in stock, and they had 1 of each in the store.

Of course, we got there a 1 pm and BOTH ITEMS were sold earlier in the morning. So, no new camera for us this weekend! What luck, huh? Hopefully they'll be in by the end of the week and we can start playing.

How about those cute little Nikon S1 's ? As small as a pack of cigarettes, 5 megapixels and 3x for $269? I like the size the most. I almost bought one for that price at Circ City.

Anyone have any experience with those new little minis??

as41shot, regarding the Computrekker/computer question, I posted the same question on the Fred Miranda General Gear Talk board and received the same answer-- it should fit fine. I'm still thinking about it, the cruise isn't until July so I have plenty of time.

jimcat, the dimensions of my laptop are 9 1/2"x13 1/2"x 1". I checked the bag you recommended, the Mini Trekker on Lowepro's site, and really don't see how you can fit both a computer and camera gear, especially a Canon Rebel XT with 17-85 attached, a 10-22, 135L, 100-400L plus hoods for each lens. Am I missing something?

LMCruise, a 300L IS, wow! You're going big time. The next step is a camera upgrade <grin>!

as41shot, regarding the Computrekker/computer question, I posted the same question on the Fred Miranda General Gear Talk board and received the same answer-- it should fit fine. I'm still thinking about it, the cruise isn't until July so I have plenty of time.

jimcat, the dimensions of my laptop are 9 1/2"x13 1/2"x 1". I checked the bag you recommended, the Mini Trekker on Lowepro's site, and really don't see how you can fit both a computer and camera gear, especially a Canon Rebel XT with 17-85 attached, a 10-22, 135L, 100-400L plus hoods for each lens. Am I missing something?

LMCruise, a 300L IS, wow! You're going big time. The next step is a camera upgrade <grin>!

Well it is hard to see but there are 2 outside zipper compartments.. one is kind of hidden behind the little one in front.. There is no real heavy padding there for carrying the laptop on hikes etc. The added weight is one reason I do not carry it.. but it is great for manuals and papers, such as all the cruise ship documents.

It unzips about halfway so it opens wide enough to put in the laptop. Length is 14 inches (13.50 effective, you do need to zip it shut ) Span from side to side is 10.5 ( 10 effective)

I would check one at a local store with laptop in tow and see if yours fits.

Inside the case I Have in there the one Konica FS body with a 28-70 lens attached.. two telephoto lenses.. one 40 mm lens..2 flash attachments several filters batteries.. etc etc

For our upcoming trip, I will take out one of the telephotos.. rearrange the setup and add the other Konica body with a lens attached

But again, take yours to a local shop and measure your laptop :)

I may measure a bit different then some

Suzie, at this time I’d really recommend that you don’t get an ultra wide lens. Instead, since you don’t use all your camera’s features, I suggest you spend the next six months learning your camera backwards and forwards. Start by reading the instruction manual and come back to it every several weeks. Then take pictures, lots of pictures 10 or 20 or 30 a day under all kinds of lighting conditions and with all kind of subjects. Digital isn’t like film, once you buy your memory cards images are free. You don’t even have to keep them on your hard drive, if you need space on the drive, you can always burn the pictures on CDs or DVDs. Besides practice taking pictures, work of your post processing skills, either on the included Canon software, or Adobe PhotoShop Elements or Abode PhotoShop CS. By the time the six months are up you’ll have a better idea of the direction you’ll want to go. You may find that you’re ready for a super wide, a better telephoto, maybe primes or perhaps even upgrading your camera. Or you may just decide that a DSLR isn’t for you.

Unfortunately, when you buy a DSLR you almost always catch DSLR fever, for which there is no known cure, although limited finances or a very determined stubborn spouse have been known to slow it down.

Thanks bunches... we spend the weekend in Tahoe and I was able to take about 300 pics between the two lenses in all different forms of light - since we had a storm on Saturday. I haven't finished going thru all of them, since we got home late - but pretty happy so far. However, I am still using all of the auto features and NONE of the manual features, which is where I need to study up. Tried to schedule a class with the local guy and he was too creepy for me to spend any sort of time with. Considered community college classes, but they don't have them set up for digital and spend alot of time on film developing which I don't need at all. So decided to become self-taught until another lesson opp comes along. I will definitely get the manual back out and check out the great tutorial sites listed earlier.

This thread has been GREAT and I am glad I happened across it.

Hi Suzie: Don't know where you live, but the Calumet photographic stores have classes in-house on how to use your new digital camera.....for Canon...Nikon.....etc. They also have post-editing classes using Elements and Photoshop.

As for the Jr. College classes, I might suggest you speak with the 'teacher' who will be teaching the class, and asking if he can apply some of his lecture to digital. You see, all of the manual info really applies to the digital picture taking as well. (at least most of the fine points anyway) It may not be such a bad class for you. Just a thought. I took a wonderful Jr. College class which was held over two weeks. One day in the classroom learning about the camera functions, one on a Saturday taking pictures in the field, and then another in the classroom sharing photos. It was wonderful! We had to "attempt" to master depth of field, composition, close-up, zoom. We even had an exercise, where each of us was placed in a 5x5 area and were given five minutes to take our best picture. It was truly amazing, that in a group of 30, we each had a different perspective of where we were and what we saw. Opened up my eyes! Like I said before, I learn something new everyday.

Jim, I shoot photos for sale and for that I do shoot with 35mm slr with 100sp. velvia and a selection of lenses, I like the 28 to 135 zoom for my favorite, next I like the 17-35mm and then a long zoom and a mix of close up lenses. For fun all around shooting I do shoot with a digital, just for my own albums. For the film shooters I would suggest a 400sp. Fuji film because it is fast enough for low light and action. What ever the choice just enjoy it and try to think composition.

I am curious as to where you sell your photos. Do you have a web site where we can look to buy, or do you sell to magazines or somewhere commercial?

Sailboater 1, yes I sell mostly to magazines and to calander companies, I have thought of a stock agency but it has its pros and cons and the cons are more than I want, so I will continue the magazine route. O ne other route I have been thinking of is the webshots for the professional, that does provide a monthly check. The shots I have on the webshots link below are from my own personal albums and not the sellable quality that it takes. So hopefully you can check out some soon on the webshots professional photos, and on the 2007 calanders from Brown Trout Publishers. Also in talks with Fuji Film about some ad. photos.

Soon to come is also my new web site SS PHOTOGRAPHY, that will have my new photos for sale.

Smugmug's business model is one of the easiest ways to start selling your pictures online. It is essentially a cross between Pbase (strictly pay for webhosting of photos) and something like shutterfly (upload just to order prints).

I have never used smugmug, either to buy or sell photos, so I can not say if it is worth it. Just to help you understand what is out there.

http://www.smugmug.com

-Suntan

After reading all of this thread several times, we've decided to go for a new camera. We want to upgrade from our Canon A75 to one with a better zoom. We do not want to go SLR (been there done that with the 35mm.) So I finally go to the store and check out the Canon S2 and the Sony H1. We liked both of them and didn't have a strong preference. But here's my dilemma: I am very far sited. I wear reading glasses to do work, read menus, etc. When I looked through the viewfinder everything was out of focus on both cameras. I was dumbfounded because this isn't the case with our simple point and shoot. When I look through the A75 everything is as clear as crystal. What's the deal???? Am I not ever going to be able to use a "nicer" camera again without special glasses? Had I used the diopter adjuster would that have compensated for my shortcomings? Thanks for your advice.

After reading all of this thread several times, we've decided to go for a new camera. We want to upgrade from our Canon A75 to one with a better zoom. We do not want to go SLR (been there done that with the 35mm.) So I finally go to the store and check out the Canon S2 and the Sony H1. We liked both of them and didn't have a strong preference. But here's my dilemma: I am very far sited. I wear reading glasses to do work, read menus, etc. When I looked through the viewfinder everything was out of focus on both cameras. I was dumbfounded because this isn't the case with our simple point and shoot. When I look through the A75 everything is as clear as crystal. What's the deal???? Am I not ever going to be able to use a "nicer" camera again without special glasses? Had I used the diopter adjuster would that have compensated for my shortcomings? Thanks for your advice.

First, I do understand your concern, however, the cameras that you are looking at, each of them has an auto focus feature. You can look at the LCD screen, which should be more clear with your glasses on rather than looking through the viewfinder?

I would suggest to wait and look at the new and improved S2 (now an S3 with IS) and the Sony H2 or H5 which is an upgrade to the H1. The Canon S3 has a dial-in diopter change built in for the viewfinder. Did you see it? Or was it not an option on the S2? I do not know about the Sony. Certainly upgrading the pixel count/LCD screen size/and sensor size, would be a big plus in upgrading from your current camera. BTW, I just love the twist and tilt viewfinder on the S3! Very useful.

I personally never used the viewfinder on my p&s camera. It just wasn't as reliable as the LCD screen. Of course, now, with a digital SLR, I use the viewfinder. Maybe some others can weigh in here...

I really have a hard time taking pictures through the LCD screen. I feel like I can't hold the camera steady unless it is smushed up against my face! That's why I want to use the viewfinder. The S2 does have the diopter dail but I didn't know how to test it out in the store. At this point none of the regular camera stores have any of "last year's models" left in stock so my only option was to go to Best Buy to test the cameras. Quite truthfully I probably knew more about the cameras than they did.

ncamy

I know what you mean about prefering not to use the video screen to frame your shot. You may not be suffering from a bad diopter issue.

These type of cameras do not have optical viewfinders. Rather, they have little LCD video screens inside the viewfinder which displays the same feed from the image sensor that the lcd on the back shows. These are called Electronic View Finders (EVF) and they will not give you the same view as a rangefinder type camera (most compact point and shoots that have a seperate viewfinder through the front to back) and deffinately not as good as a true Through The Lens (TTL) SLR.

One thing to note, both the Canon S2 and the Sony H1 have EVFs with approx 110,000 pixels. Most of the newer Prosumer cameras (Sony R1, Samsung Pro815, Fuji S9000, etc.) have EVFs with pixel counts around 235,000 and above. This should ressult in a clearer "view" through the viewfinder.

Lastly, I know you said that you did not want to do SLRs again, but a Nikon D50 w/ the new Nikkor 18-200 AF-S VR lens would be one of the ultimate, if spendy, signle lens P&S cameras you could get. 18-200 on a digital SLR will give you a focal length equivalent of 27-300 in 35mm format, which covers most anything you could want in a single lens.

-Suntan

ncamy

Lastly, I know you said that you did not want to do SLRs again, but a Nikon D50 w/ the new Nikkor 18-200 AF-S VR lens would be one of the ultimate, if spendy, signle lens P&S cameras you could get. 18-200 on a digital SLR will give you a focal length equivalent of 27-300 in 35mm format, which covers most anything you could want in a single lens.

-Suntan

Wow! You're sure right, that certainly would be an expensive and large and heavy point-and-shoot camera.

Is the new Nikkor 18-200 AF-S VR lens actually in production? It always seem to be listed as "out of stock" and "uncertain when available".

Wow! You're sure right, that certainly would be an expensive and large and heavy point-and-shoot camera.

Is the new Nikkor 18-200 AF-S VR lens actually in production? It always seem to be listed as "out of stock" and "uncertain when available".

Yes well, it wouldn't do if your main requirement was a P&S that slipped into your pocket. ;)

Yes it is in production, as a lot of people on various photography message boards have been writing about them. However, demand for the thing is very high. It seems as if most people are having luck finding them at the small local shops. The big shops like B&H and Adorama have long, pre-order waiting lists for them, so even when they get the next shippment, it doesn't register on their websites.

-Suntan

This thread got me looking at my equipment a bit more, especially after shooting a few hundred shots in Tahoe last weekend. Instead of my original thought of investing in a super wide angle for Alaska, my weekend has got me looking into a more versatile lens... something in between my 17-55 and my 75-300...

Reading more & more about a 18-200. Is there a preference between Sigma & Tamron? I have read the Sigma is noisy. Not so sure that it would bother me... looking for quality in photos and reliability more than silence.

I have read in this thread about the new Nikon one that is flying off the shelves... but I have a Canon Digital Rebel. I see them selling at a little more than $300... no IS feature, is this something that Canon/Sigma/Tamron are developing and should wait... or just get this one and go with it?

Experts? Opinions? You have all been so helpful here... but investing $300+ on a lens and I want to make sure I am going to love it.

This thread got me looking at my equipment a bit more, especially after shooting a few hundred shots in Tahoe last weekend. Instead of my original thought of investing in a super wide angle for Alaska, my weekend has got me looking into a more versatile lens... something in between my 17-55 and my 75-300...

Reading more & more about a 18-200. Is there a preference between Sigma & Tamron? I have read the Sigma is noisy. Not so sure that it would bother me... looking for quality in photos and reliability more than silence.

I have read in this thread about the new Nikon one that is flying off the shelves... but I have a Canon Digital Rebel. I see them selling at a little more than $300... no IS feature, is this something that Canon/Sigma/Tamron are developing and should wait... or just get this one and go with it?

Experts? Opinions? You have all been so helpful here... but investing $300+ on a lens and I want to make sure I am going to love it.

Suzie - it's probably best to hear from those who have used those lenses, or publications that have tested them. To that end:

Sigma:

http://www.photographyreview.com/cat/lenses/35mm-zoom/sigma/PRD_335765_3128crx.aspx

http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/lenses/sigma_18200_3563/index.htm

http://www.ephotozine.com/equipment/tests/testdetail.cfm?test_id=365

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007U0GYS/002-8589379-7724819?v=glance&n=502394

Tamron:

http://www.photographyreview.com/cat/lenses/35mm-zoom/tamron/PRD_338018_3128crx.aspx

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007WK8MQ/sr=1-2/qid=1144117858/ref=pd_bbs_2/002-8589379-7724819?%5Fencoding=UTF8&s=photo

http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/lenses/tamron_18200_3563/index.htm

http://www.ephotozine.com/equipment/tests/testdetail.cfm?test_id=351

The Tokina 18-200 seems to be too new to have gotten reviews. I love my Tokina 12-24mm, am lukewarm about my Tokina 80-400mm. Happy shopping... I have been doing the same thing ever since this thread started. I'm sorry it ever appeared here ;)

Archived