Capri and Anacapri from Naples

Nimloth

We are in Naples port from 11am to 7.30pm and wanted to visit Capri and Anacapri, including the chairlift to the top. Are we going to be too pushed to do it with possible queuing for transport there and back? My worst nightmare would be missing the ship! Also, what is the best way to get between Capri and Anacapri? We are going in May. 

You should have plenty of time. You will need to be off the ship as soon as it docks and its only a few yards to the ticket office for the fast sailing to Capri.  When you arrive, I would recommend you go to the ticket office and buy your return ticket so that you have it sorted rather than worrying later.  There's not much around the place you dock other than cafes and shops so you can take a bus up to Anacapri.  The bus stop is a little further on from the ticket office, on a slight hill.  However, when we were there the bus queue was massive and when the bus came it was only a small one as the roads are very windy.  We worked out that with the small bus and the large queue, we would be waiting well over an hour for our bus.  So I stayed in the queue while my husband went to price a taxi, the couple behind us heard us talking and they decided to share a taxi. This was a good move as we were soon there.  Anacapri is quite cute with nice shops and cafes, from here you can take the chairlift up to the top.  The views are amazing and there is a cafe at the top.  After a while we came down and met up with the other couple to share a taxi back down.  For us the timing was very good and we had a lovely day.

• Like 1

Check out this website. You will find the ferry schedule there too plus a map of the island. The ferry port is next to the cruise terminal. I highly recommend to buy the return tickets right away.

We usually use the minibus up to Anacapri. As dronnygirl said, the queue can be long and although the bus is supposed to run every 15 min there´s not really anything like a schedule. If there´s no queue get the tickets and buy 3 per person (1 up to Anacapri, 1 Anacapri to Capri, 1 funicolar down to the port). If there´s a long queue better share a taxi.

steamboats

• Like 1

Your late arrival makes this tricky, you really need to be sure you're off the ship the minute they clear it.  Head right over to Molo Beverello, adjacent to the cruise port, and find the ticket office for NLG to buy a ticket for their 11:35 crossing.  If you miss this one you either have to walk to Porta di Massa for the 12:00 slow ferry or wait until 12:40 for the next high speed ferry from Molo Beverello.

Your all-aboard time will probably be 7 PM, so the very last ferry you could take would be the 18:10 (6:10 PM) that arrives at 7 PM.  I would never plan to use this ferry, I'd plan an earlier one and have this as a fallback option if something went wrong with the earlier one.

The next earlier one departs Capri at 17:05 (5:05 PM) and arrives to Molo Beverello just before 6 PM.  This one is also run by NLG so you can buy the outbound and return at the same time in the morning.

This means that the best case is you have about four and a half hours on the island, if you miss that first ferry you would only have three and a half or four hours.

I would not waste one second of time waiting for a bus with this tight schedule, if you're not willing to spend the money for a taxi while on the island it might not be worth it to go at all.  After all, you'll be spending a fair amount to get there and get back, it would be a shame to waste 25% (or more) of your limited time there waiting for a bus.  (It's hard for me to even write that as a huge user of public transit, but it's not just a good fit in this situation.)

• Like 1

On 3/29/2019 at 11:49 PM, Nimloth said:

We are in Naples port from 11am to 7.30pm and wanted to visit Capri and Anacapri, including the chairlift to the top. Are we going to be too pushed to do it with possible queuing for transport there and back? My worst nightmare would be missing the ship! Also, what is the best way to get between Capri and Anacapri? We are going in May. 

What ship/line are you on? We are in Naples during the same time, 11  - 7:30.

11 hours ago, Nimloth said:

We are on MSC Bellissima in Naples on 13th May. What about you?

Same ship but getting on this Sunday, April 7th.

We are doing the ship excursion to Capri. It looks like it provides the transportation but the time on the island is on your own.

4 hours ago, electro said:

Same ship but getting on this Sunday, April 7th.

We are doing the ship excursion to Capri. It looks like it provides the transportation but the time on the island is on your own.

Have a great trip. Any feedback afterwards would be great. 😊

2 hours ago, Nimloth said:

Have a great trip. Any feedback afterwards would be great. 😊

I won't be back until after Easter, but I will definitely post some sort of review on the MSC board. I'll try to remember to come here to post about the Capri tour.

Lois

• Like 1