Miami port but Fort Lauderdale arrival

MM27

If I’m flying in to Fort Lauderdale the day before my Miami departure cruise, am I better off staying in Fort Lauderdale for the night?  Too many choices.  

Any hotel and transportation recommendations would be appreciated 

There are MANY, MANY discussions here on the topic. It would depend on when you arrive, budget issues (Miami is generally more expensive) and a couple of other considerations. As a flight from New Jersey could arrive at any number of reasonable hours, you could easily go to Miami. 

I agree with what Bruce said. It depends on if it's an early morning arrival and you want to see the sites or just a place to crash your head before heading out. I have a cruise coming up and we are arriving 2 days early (Saturday evening for a Monday cruise). I opted to split the difference and stay in Hollywood which is just south of FLL. I also noticed that the majority of the hotels that come up on any search of any area from FLL to Miami are within about a 10 min drive to the ocean.

Without knowing what time your schedule arrival is its hard to give much advice. 

Ultimately, it doe not matter. FLL is not that far from Port Miami. FLL is what EWR is to NYC. It is all the same. 20-miles from Ft. Lauderdale to Miami. Unless you are doing the drive in the morning rush hour it is not a big deal. 

So see what prices are like and if you would rather stay in Miami and be closer to the port that morning then stay in Miami. Downtown Miami and Brickell area is where you want to stay to be close to the port.