Should I purchase the Drinks Package before or after boarding?

akmday10

So we will be sailing on the QM2 in May, and are trying to decide whether to purchase the drinks package before or after boarding. I'm just wondering if it will make a difference. I am assuming you go to the pursers desk to purchase the package, which could be busy, however we normally get on the ship before 12.30pm so I doubt we will be waiting long. 

If anyone has any advice then I would really appreciate it, as we have never purchased the Drinks Package. Also would our TA be able to buy the package for us and get us a deal? 

Is this the $69 per person package, which both occupants of a cabin have to buy? And there is a limit to the price per drink? I'm not sure I would buy it at all. You would have to have an awful lot of drinks to make it worth while.

Just doing the quick arithmetic:

You would need to drink Seven Drinks Each,

Every day, day in/day out for the voyage

All $11 or less, since over $11 are not counted! It's not that you get $11 per drink credit, they simply don't count.

before the package makes sense.

Isn't there a per-day maximum, as well?

Add to that for a 7-day voyage, it would run $966 for two people in a cabin...

I know that drinks onboard are expensive, but that is a lot, anyway.  And, given that the really expensive (over $11) specialty drinks are not included for any amount, I know we are going to pass on this as not good value.

You do not have to go to reception (Pursers desk) to sign for drinks packages there will be tables set out around the ship where it is advertised and you sign there. I also believe that you can sign for first 2 days of your cruise so IMO it would be better to sign first thing on your second day to get value as if you purchase in advance you will be paying $69 on embarkation day and only get 1/2 a day to use it so not good value.

• Like 1

Thanks all for the responses. Thanks majortom10, the tables to sign up sounds good, I think we will wait until we get on board. 

With the drinks package, there is a limit to 15 alcoholic drinks per day, but I doubt anyone would reach that. And yes everyone in the stateroom must purchase. Also spirits are single measures, wines by the glass are 150ml. You will need to wait 15 minutes between each drink I think. The package includes alcoholic drinks under $11, soft drinks, mocktails, teas, coffees, and 500ml bottles of water. 

When on holiday, we tend to drink a lot, and likely over the course of the evening have around 7 drinks or more. I personally would never go for a drink over $11 as I think it is a waste of money to go for the more expensive drinks when they actually have plenty around $8-10. We will also enjoy a bottle of wine at dinner, which is not part of the deal, therefore I have looked at the wine list and theres a page at the back - 'wines by the glass', out of 25 choices, only 7 of them are over $11, you would have the choice of 18 different wines. 

Now normally on cruises, we would not buy tea/ coffee or water as you can get it in the lido, but as it is included in the drinks package, we think we might as well make the most of it. We do late sitting, and like to have a few drinks before we head down to the restaurant, and then we do not normally head to bed until 2am, this is why the package appeals to us. 

For one day, I think a lot of people spend over $69 on drinks. I've worked it out below what I think I will spend on the cruise.  Of course a lot of people will not drink this much, or may drink more. 

10am - Tea or Coffee $3.25 

12pm - Wine with lunch $8.75 (150ml)

2pm - Tea and Coffee $3.25

3pm - Cocktail $10.50 

4pm - Bottle of Water $3.25

7pm - Cocktail $8.95 

8pm - Cocktail $10.50 

8.30pm - Wine with dinner $8.75 x 2 (150ml) 

10pm - Cocktail $10.50 

11pm Cocktail $8.95

12pm Cocktail $8.95

1am - Cocktail $10.50

1.30am - Bottle of Water $3.25

This totals up to $111.35 and with the gratuity it would be just under $130 for drinks in a day, thats nearly double what you would pay with the drinks package.If you only drink Pints, which are roughly $6.50 without gratuity, then you would have to drink around 10 a day. 

I hope this helps anyone questioning the drinks package, and how could anyone possibly spend $69 a day on drinks. 

Edited by akmday10
  • Like 1

Actually, all people in the cabin do not have to purchase the package. If you cannot drink alcohol for health reasons, and bring a note from your doctor, you can opt out of the package, while others can still purchase it.

2 minutes ago, Stella1250 said:

Actually, all people in the cabin do not have to purchase the package. If you cannot drink alcohol for health reasons, and bring a note from your doctor, you can opt out of the package, while others can still purchase it.

That is good that they accommodate this. I would assume that it is the same if there is an underage person in a stateroom. 

37 minutes ago, akmday10 said:

Thanks all for the responses. Thanks majortom10, the tables to sign up sounds good, I think we will wait until we get on board. 

With the drinks package, there is a limit to 15 alcoholic drinks per day, but I doubt anyone would reach that. And yes everyone in the stateroom must purchase. Also spirits are single measures, wines by the glass are 150ml. You will need to wait 15 minutes between each drink I think. The package includes alcoholic drinks under $11, soft drinks, mocktails, teas, coffees, and 500ml bottles of water. 

When on holiday, we tend to drink a lot, and likely over the course of the evening have around 7 drinks or more. I personally would never go for a drink over $11 as I think it is a waste of money to go for the more expensive drinks when they actually have plenty around $8-10. We will also enjoy a bottle of wine at dinner, which is not part of the deal, therefore I have looked at the wine list and theres a page at the back - 'wines by the glass', out of 25 choices, only 7 of them are over $11, you would have the choice of 18 different wines. 

Now normally on cruises, we would not buy tea/ coffee or water as you can get it in the lido, but as it is included in the drinks package, we think we might as well make the most of it. We do late sitting, and like to have a few drinks before we head down to the restaurant, and then we do not normally head to bed until 2am, this is why the package appeals to us. 

For one day, I think a lot of people spend over $69 on drinks. I've worked it out below what I think I will spend on the cruise.  Of course a lot of people will not drink this much, or may drink more. 

3pm - Cocktail $10.50 

7pm - Cocktail $8.95 

8pm - Cocktail $10.50 

10pm - Cocktail $10.50 

11pm Cocktail $8.95

12pm Cocktail $8.95

1am - Cocktail $10.50

This totals up to $111.35 and with the gratuity it would be just under $130 for drinks in a day, thats nearly double what you would pay with the drinks package.If you only drink Pints, which are roughly $6.50 without gratuity, then you would have to drink around 10 a day. 

I hope this helps anyone questioning the drinks package, and how could anyone possibly spend $69 a day on drinks. 

Then it is  indeed good value, and I much admire you stamina for staying awake that long. 😀 I still think it is mean that one can't splurge the entire $138 on a superior bottle of,wine, say.

2 hours ago, Stella1250 said:

It does state on Cunard's website the following- "All adults in the same stateroom are required to purchase the same Drinks Option" but I have heard rumours that it is not enforced onboard but dont know how true that is.

7 hours ago, akmday10 said:

3pm - Cocktail $10.50 

7pm - Cocktail $8.95 

8pm - Cocktail $10.50 

10pm - Cocktail $10.50 

11pm Cocktail $8.95

12pm Cocktail $8.95

1am - Cocktail $10.50

Seven cocktails a day and three bottles of wine. I am sure not in your league these days. But then I have a much older liver and it has seen days like that in my youth. 

Another reason to wait until you are on board:  If you have some on-board credit that you won't use for gratuities, excursions, spa, etc., your booze is a good way to use up your credit.  You cannot use OBC by purchasing a drinks package before you board,

17 hours ago, Bigmike911 said:

Seven cocktails a day and three bottles of wine. I am sure not in your league these days. But then I have a much older liver and it has seen days like that in my youth. 

Only 450ml of wine in total, so less than a bottle, I don't think I could manage three bottles!! 😂

4 hours ago, tv24 said:

Another reason to wait until you are on board:  If you have some on-board credit that you won't use for gratuities, excursions, spa, etc., your booze is a good way to use up your credit.  You cannot use OBC by purchasing a drinks package before you board,

No onboard credit for us, but I think we will wait until we are onboard, and hopefully will be able to purchase from one of the pop up desks