Did Royal Caribbean Do Away With The "Naughty Room"?

The reason I am asking is in the past you would receive a notice to your stateroom to go down to security to retrieve your luggage because they thought you has something suspicious inside during the x-ray.  You would open your luggage and they would search for disbanded items such as irons, extension cords, booze, etc.

We embarked Jewel of the Seas on Friday, and one piece of luggage belonging to my wife had been rifled through, completely messing up every item of ironed clothing, and thrown back together in a willy nilly manner and delivered late to our stateroom with a "Prohibited Item Notification" sheet of paper saying they didn't find or seized anything.  When TSA had gone through our luggage in the past and left a note saying so, but at least it was in pretty decent order.  

My wife mentioned it to the Diamond Ambassador, and she gave her a voucher for free pressing.   Our friends had the same thing happen to them, but they did have "bad stuff" in their luggage.

Is this the new Royal policy of "search and seize" then send your luggage up to your stateroom?

P.S.  I had two pieces of luggage with 3 bottles of Bloody Mary mix inside, and they weren't searched and came through to our stateroom by Noon.

They will go threw bags. Nope, still have Naugty Room, and will go threw them like yours. Mine was mess with letter on way home. Used Luggage Valet and was letter in bag when opened it at home.. unfortunately part of security now

Edited by ONECRUISER

After my one experience going to the naughty room - for small shelf stable sealed containers of soy milk no less - I've been more bummed to not get called down there again.  Seeing what some tried to bring on board was very entertaining!  And yes, I know I could pack something to almost guarantee it but I don't want to purposely end up there 🙂

Semi-related, but it sounds like my most recent trip through JFK. Had a domestic to international connection for work there (never again). When I finally reached my destination, my luggage looked like a tornado went through it. Only way I knew it was the TSA was there was a tiny little sticker on my luggage tag. 

My understanding is that if there is something suspicious, if the luggage is unlocked, security will go through it.   If it is locked you will be notified to go to the "naughty" room.

Was the suitcase locked?  If so, that shoots down my theory and then I would wonder if your luggage has a TSA lock, how they opened it on the ship?

I ALWAYS lock anything that isn't in  my possession.  I don't want them rifling through my stuff.  If they want to get in, they need to notify me!  I don't use TSA locks...I use keyed Master luggage locks....

44 minutes ago, katiel53 said:

My understanding is that if there is something suspicious, if the luggage is unlocked, security will go through it.   If it is locked you will be notified to go to the "naughty" room.

Was the suitcase locked?  If so, that shoots down my theory and then I would wonder if your luggage has a TSA lock, how they opened it on the ship?

Three pieces of luggage have built in TSA locks with no zippers.  They were sent direct to our stateroom.  The one they search has nothing but clothes, and no lock on it.    It would have been nice if they called us down to go thru it.  Normally they put a sticker on the outside of the luggage  indicating what they think is suspicious, i.e. iron, bottle of booze, etc., then you open it  in front of them to show them.  Will lock it in the future with a portable TSA lock.

• Like 1